What's new

At Once Annoyed, Yet Grateful

In Oregon for work. When I got the call I knew the stay would be short which meant I wouldn't need to pack much--this, in turn, meant a carry-on bag, which is great, except the whole can't pack blades thing . . . and sometimes the razor, too. Yeah, I got the third degree once when I hadn't taken apart a razor before packing it. Mind you, it had no blade installed, but they took issue with an unloaded razor.

So I am annoyed to have had to put a Harry's cartridge razor in my travel kit. I have some Pre de Provence No. 63 brushless cream to use up, so at least I have some decent product in that regard. Shaving this morning was, how shall I express this . . . joyless. Perhaps 'bland satisfaction' would be more appropriate because I can say I did get a shave by definition.

As for my gratitude -- having a reductive experience (regressive?) such as this isn't all bad because it helps to highlight the contrast between how I used to shave (so many years lost, lost I tell you!) and how I shave now. I suppose I'm something of a shave snob in that regard. The contrast between the two has instilled a daily expectation of personal indulgence which I--and many others--enjoy.

Today's shave was SAS; nothing overtly satisfying short of having reduced stubble. Tomorrow's will be the same. But now i look forward to Saturday morning with a renewed appreciation for the quality of shaves my humble DE provides. But i still retain my solemn right to kavetch about draconian TSA measuress that affect my shaves . . . I know, I know, there's a safety reason for it, but that makes it no less annoying.

Brother Penguin

I understand the frustration and the inconvenience, but it's also annoying to be compromised or killed by an aircraft hijacker.

All we can do is to do the best we can do, given the circumstances.

Top Bottom