What's new

At Least He Didn't take my Razors!

We are selling our house. We had someone posing as a realtor call to show it, so I gave him the lockbox code. My wife and I left the house. When we returned, various electronic items were stolen. (Our realtor has since decided to check the MLS # of anyone who calls to verify they are actually a realtor - SO, please keep that in mind if you are ever selling/showing your house)

Once I realized we had been robbed, my first thought: I hope he didn't steal my razors! Thankfully, he didn't. Seriously, the laptops and BluRay player were all getting old. It will be great to have newer models. (In fact, the thing I'm most upset about is that he DIDN'T steal my A/V receiver! I'd love to get a new one of those!)

Glad I am not in your shoes.

I simply had all showings go through my agent first, and she could tell me when I was to not be around.

Phil

Wow. You just don't think that kind of stuff would happen.
A wake up call for the rest of us.
Sorry 'bout your stuff.

sorry to hear about your troubles. these robbers are getting pretty creative. glad he didn't steal the shaving goods. it's funny that i never really thought about the value of some of my shaving gear compared to electronic items. the first story bedroom has a glass door where i have all my shaving goodies and my 4 year old desktop. i just did the math, but my shaving gear is worth more than that 4 year old machine and when we moved, i worried more about the machine.

Yeah, it could have turned out much different... Other times, we've just run out for a quick ice cream, then come back. If I had caught him in the act, it would have been "interesting," b/c I'm also a member of the Concealed Carry forum... But like I said, not the end of the world. Might have to buy a razor to "console" myself though!

We are selling our house. We had someone posing as a realtor call to show it, so I gave him the lockbox code. My wife and I left the house. When we returned, various electronic items were stolen. (Our realtor has since decided to check the MLS # of anyone who calls to verify they are actually a realtor - SO, please keep that in mind if you are ever selling/showing your house)

As a Realtor, a few things ring alarm bells here:

1. Since you have an agent, another agent should never call YOU to show your house. They would/should always go through your agent.

Requests for showings and all other inquiries made to the owner should be referred to the agent. That's the agent's job, after all. Your Realtor should recognize all other Realtors who'd request a showing, or at least their brokerage firms, and yes, should look them up.

2. Your agent should be there for the showing if possible. If not possible, they should designate a stand-in. But even that's not always possible, that's why you have a lock box. But qualified, legitimate agents have channels other than you for getting the code.

3. Reconsider the lock box. It's not required. Doing without it might mean a little more leg work for your agent, but they don't mind earning their fee.

4. When you leave your house for the showing, you don't have to leave the neighborhood. Maybe a next-door neighbor will host you for the few minutes it takes, and you can keep an eye on the place.

(These tips are not aimed at you, Skvinson, but are things that other sellers should keep in mind.)

Totally appreciate the advice AlanL. That is one reason I posted, so that other people could avoid our mistake.

As a Realtor, a few things ring alarm bells here:

1. Since you have an agent, another agent should never call YOU to show your house. They would/should always go through your agent.

Requests for showings and all other inquiries made to the owner should be referred to the agent. That's the agent's job, after all. Your Realtor should recognize all other Realtors who'd request a showing, or at least their brokerage firms, and yes, should look them up.

2. Your agent should be there for the showing if possible. If not possible, they should designate a stand-in. But even that's not always possible, that's why you have a lock box. But qualified, legitimate agents have channels other than you for getting the code.

3. Reconsider the lock box. It's not required. Doing without it might mean a little more leg work for your agent, but they don't mind earning their fee.

4. When you leave your house for the showing, you don't have to leave the neighborhood. Maybe a next-door neighbor will host you for the few minutes it takes, and you can keep an eye on the place.

(These tips are not aimed at you, Skvinson, but are things that other sellers should keep in mind.)

Good Informantion! :thumbup:

Of course they didn't get your razors.
The razors are the only thing that you have in the safe, which is in the
vault, which is in the panic room. :w00t:
In the future, I would consider leaving one or two SEs lying around as Red Herrings.

You do have a great perspective about it all though.

If the phone number is still on your caller ID pass it on to the police, who knows how many times this joker has struck.
Good luck selling your house.

Why is your house on a mechanical lock box? Have your agent get a Supra lock on there asap, by no means foolproof, but a bad guy would have to get access to an electronic key and know the proper codes to get to your keys. If those are reported stolen they are de-activated.

That really sucks. My place got broken into a few years ago. Luckily my renters insurance covered most everything. The Replacement item coverage insurance was key. There is a reason I love PEMCO.

Hope you get everything replaced quickly.

Top Bottom