What's new

Astra Superior Stainless Steel

Is the Rocca really that aggressive? I have ordered one a few days ago. Should be here probably by the end of the week.
Until recently, I considered him aggressive. I often use Muhle R41 and Merkur Futur for daily shaving, so I wasn't bothered by Rocca's aggression. A few days ago I found out that Rocca is excellent and gentle with a suitable blade. For me, this blade was Astra Superior Stainless. Congratulations for Muhle Rocca ,, it is an excellent device, you just have to be patient with it and find the right blade. Which handle did you choose? Birch handle is unmatched!

Until recently, I considered him aggressive. I often use Muhle R41 and Merkur Futur for daily shaving, so I wasn't bothered by Rocca's aggression. A few days ago I found out that Rocca is excellent and gentle with a suitable blade. For me, this blade was Astra Superior Stainless. Congratulations for Muhle Rocca ,, it is an excellent device, you just have to be patient with it and find the right blade. Which handle did you choose? Birch handle is unmatched!
I too use the R41 for consecutive days without any problems. I ordered the R94 Rocca and I hope it is going to be aggressive. Also ordered an aluminium Above the Tie Windsor Pro, so it is going to be fun.

My beard is course, thick, and heavy. However I find that with my R41, Astra SS gives me a close, smooth shave. Feather blades don't shave as close or as smooth, even on the first couple of shaves.

The R41 (especially the older design) is one of the more aggressive razors available. I have sensitive skin and would be concerned with the sharpness of the Astra SS blade in the R41. I normally use the less-sharp 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow in that razor. There is no way I would ever use a Feather blade in that razor without irritation. I might be able to use the Astra SS, but even that would be pushing it for me. The Astra SS blade works wonderfully for me in a moderately aggressive razor like the Karve D-plate SB.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've never tried the astra SS but you guys are giving them such good reviews im gonna have to try them. Now all I have to do is get through the 1 hundred pack of SPs I just bought and im flying :thumbsup:

I've never tried the astra SS but you guys are giving them such good reviews im gonna have to try them. Now all I have to do is get through the 1 hundred pack of SPs I just bought and im flying :thumbsup:

If you are getting wonderful shaves from the Astra SP blades, then by all means continue to use them. If your current shaves are all you hope for, there is no need to try anything else.

However, if your shaves are less than wonderful, I suggest spending a few dollars to get the Astra SS blades now. Razor blades are inexpensive. For the price of a fast-food meal you might make a significant improvement to your shaving routine.

I have a bulk pack of Astra SP blades from which I removed one tuck for evaluation. I can shave with them, but the shaves are far from wonderful. I hope I never have to use the remaining blades.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
If you are getting wonderful shaves from the Astra SP blades, then by all means continue to use them. If your current shaves are all you hope for, there is no need to try anything else.

However, if your shaves are less than wonderful, I suggest spending a few dollars to get the Astra SS blades now. Razor blades are inexpensive. For the price of a fast-food meal you might make a significant improvement to your shaving routine.

I have a bulk pack of Astra SP blades from which I removed one tuck for evaluation. I can shave with them, but the shaves are far from wonderful. I hope I never have to use the remaining blades.

I'll get a trial tuck before I decide to go mad and thanks for the advice im really new to wet shaving

Unless you can get a trial tuck for free, it is likely to cost you almost as much as a 100 pack, especially if you have to pay for shipping.

Go to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Superi...steel+razor+blades,+100&qid=1628167804&sr=8-2 and you will see 100 for $7.56. Then click on "New (6) from $7.56" and you will see them for the same price but you don't have to spend $25 for free shipping. The vendor is American Beauty Supply, which is where I bought mine.

Go to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Superior-Stainless-Double-Blades/dp/B005TVH7C4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=astra+superior+stainless+steel+razor+blades,+100&qid=1628167804&sr=8-2 and you will see 100 for $7.56. Then click on "New (6) from $7.56" and you will see them for the same price but you don't have to spend $25 for free shipping. The vendor is American Beauty Supply, which is where I bought mine.

If you are a Prime member, you get free shipping anyway. If I order, I get them delivered the next day.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Unless you can get a trial tuck for free, it is likely to cost you almost as much as a 100 pack, especially if you have to pay for shipping.

I'll checkout ebay and see what its like the last time I ordered tucks I was getting all different tuck for under £2 with free shipping

I tried am Astra Superior Stainless Steel blade today and I got a closer and smoother shave than I do with Astra Superior Platinum blades. Does anyone agree with that?
I shave with the Stainless and its sharper and as smooth as the Plats. when the prep is done right.....and I use it in a Parker slant!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

The only drawback to these blades is they don't last. I get about 3 days out of them. Two passes on the face with a DE89. The Personna's last longer, I got the Astra SS on amazon for $7.50 about half the price of Personna.

The only drawback to these blades is they don't last. I get about 3 days out of them. Two passes on the face with a DE89. The Personna's last longer, I got the Astra SS on amazon for $7.50 about half the price of Personna.

It's all a matter of opinion and other variables such as beard, face, razor, technique etc. Some guys say the blues last longer and some say the greens last longer. Some say they last the same. I find that as a blade starts to wear, pressing harder works wonders! I also briefly wrap the head of my razor with a towel after shaving, which gets the blade edges dry. I once read that oxidation contributes more to blade wear than anything else. Anyway, I am getting the closest shaves of my life with Astra SS and my R41.

I get better shaves from the SP... I've tested the heck outta them in a lot of razors.

It's a matter of opinion. I have only used the green and the blue in the R41. I found that the SP gives a very close, smooth shave. When I tried the blues, I got an ever closer shave and decided that's the blade for me! Not all faces are equal.

I may have to pick up a tuck of these Astra SS blades, all I have ever used of any brand have been platinum coated.

This place is a BAD rabbit hole digger!
Same here. I have just got a couple of packs of Astra SS to try. I am on Shave 3 of my first blade and I must say they feel good...and that's in this weeks rotational razor - the R41 GS

Top Bottom