What's new

Astra Superior Stainless Steel

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Whilliam, how do you like the Astra Blues that you received?
Chalked up three smooth, close shaves in a Feather AS-D2. All were excellent! Astra Blues are definitely in my rotation.

Also, I tried these about ten years ago and hated them. Must have been the fault of the R41 I was using at the time.

Last edited:
Chalked up three smooth, close shaves in a Feather AS-D2. All were excellent! Astra Blues are definitely in my rotation.

Also, I tried these about ten years ago and hated them. Must have been the fault of the R41 I was using at the time.

Ah, yes. For many folks, Astra SS blades are going to be too sharp for use in an R41.

Ah, yes. For many folks, Astra SS blades are going to be too sharp for use in an R41.

That's odd because i have only used the Astra Blues in my R41 and the give me a close, smooth, shave!

That's odd because i have only used the Astra Blues in my R41 and the give me a close, smooth, shave!

That does not surprise me in the least. It all depends on how sensitive your skin may be. Apparently, for you the combination works well, but for some, it would be too aggressive. I have to drop back to a 7 O'Clock Yellow if I use the R41, but it is not sharp enough for me in any other razor.

They're excellent, especially at the price. I agree that they are better than the platinums for me, and outperform a TON of more expensive blades. I find they work best in my GC .84, the .68 plate is too mild. I also get about 4 super comfortable shaves out of them. Less than 2 cents a shave? Come on!

I have 2 problem spots, around by adams apple and just under my jaw, that are the real test of blades for me. Lesser blades take multiple buffing passes and passes from all sorts of weird angles to get smooth, better blades get the area smooth enough with 3 regular passes. Astra SS passes this test with no problem, maybe a just tiny bit of occasional touch-up.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I tried am Astra Superior Stainless Steel blade today and I got a closer and smoother shave than I do with Astra Superior Platinum blades. Does anyone agree with that?

I find the SS to be much better than the SP...but, that's for my face. The SP is also very popular. I bought 100 SS quite a while back and use them on occassion.

I tried them in an R41 and R89, they work great, last about 4 shaves. Astra SS is slightly better than the US Personna. I'm not sure why Astra SS is cheaper than Astra SP.

I suspect it is a supply vs demand issue. Astra SP blades are one of the most popular DE blades in the States. However, they are not sharp enough for me. I much prefer Astra SS and would be willing to pay a premium over SP, but because they are not as popular, that is not necessary.

Like you, I prefer the Astra SS blades over the USA Personnas (Lab Blues). The coating on the Lab Blues is so thick that they perform much like an Astra SP on the first shave. After the coating wears off, the Lab Blues are similar to the Personna Platinums (Israeli Reds, now made in Germany). I find the Personna Platinums to be just a tad sharper than the Astra SS, but both are good blades.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I may have to pick up a tuck of these Astra SS blades, all I have ever used of any brand have been platinum coated.

This place is a BAD rabbit hole digger!

I am a fan of both. Just use them in different razors. Yes the SS is a bit sharper compared to the SP. That said, there are far sharper blades than Astra SS out there.

What is far sharper? I have used Feathers and did not get a closer or smoother shave than Astra SS.

What is far sharper? I have used Feathers and did not get a closer or smoother shave than Astra SS.

Feather blades are extermely sharp, but because they deteriorate rapidly, they are only smooth on the first shave or two. If you need something sharper than Astra SS, I suggest that you try BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Nacets, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black), Dorco Prime Platinum STP301, and Personna Platinum (formerly Israeil Reds now made in Germany and the German Wilkinson Sword blades. None as sharp as Feather blades out of the wrapper, but they become sharper as the coating wears off and hold their sharpness longer.

As you have found, Astra SS blades are excellent blades with a good balance between sharpness, smoothness and durabilityl.

And how would you describe your beard?
The Feathers and Polsilver Super Iridium are much sharper compared to the Astra SS. If I use them in a Tech, I get BBS. If I use the Astra SS in a Tech, BBS is impossible with my beard.

Last edited:
And how would you describe your beard?
The Feathers and Polsilver Super Iridium are much sharper compared to the Astra SS. If I use them in a Tech, I get BBS. If I use the Astra SS in a Tech, BBS is impossible with my beard.

My beard is course, thick, and heavy. However I find that with my R41, Astra SS gives me a close, smooth shave. Feather blades don't shave as close or as smooth, even on the first couple of shaves.

I really like Astra Superior Stainless! It became my No. 1 blade. I'm sorry I bought too few! Astra Superior Stainless laser engraved, is the only blade with which I can use Muhle Rocca v4.0 daily without problems! I also like the BIC Astor Stainless and Derby Extra blue package of 10 pcs I don't like Astra SP, Voskhod, Sputnik.

Last edited:
I really like Astra Superior Stainless! It became my No. 1 blade. I'm sorry I bought too few! Astra Superior Stainles laser engraved, is the only blade with which I can use Muhle Rocca v4.0 daily without problems! I also like the BIC Astor Stainless and Derby Extra blue package of 10 pcs I don't like Astra SP, Persona, Voskhod.
Is the Rocca really that aggressive? I have ordered one a few days ago. Should be here probably by the end of the week.

Top Bottom