What's new

Astra Superior Platinum blades, simply the best.

We often see threads about how great a certain blade is but I just had to say how smooth & sharp the Astra SP blade is.
When I first tried a Feather blade I thought they were the best but I noticed they work best in a mild razor. If I put it in a more aggressive razor like a Joris, I would get irritation on my neck.
Then I tried a Personna Lab blade. I thought they were super too but in an aggressive razor I found them to cause irritation also. For me anyway, the Astra SP is very sharp and very smooth. It is very popular on this site and with good reason. It is a super sharp and super smooth blade.

What I don't understand about astra super platinum is why they are so much cheaper than feathers. I have never tried astra blades, as well as said i would never buy them, and stick to my feathers. But who knows.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What I don't understand about astra super platinum is why they are so much cheaper than feathers. I have never tried astra blades, as well as said i would never buy them, and stick to my feathers. But who knows.
Get both. I like the SS more than SP. Weird.

Astra blades are great and I still love them but in a mild razor I sometimes prefer a sharper blade like Feather or Personna. Astra's are the best overall bang for your buck.

Got a fat boy & black beauty. Got assortment of about 2 dozen kinds of blades.
Voskhod were a surprise; good shave & inexpensive. Polsilver excellent could be my fav & expensive now.
Astra great blade & reasonable price, already got a 100 box of these w/ the laser etched label, great shave.
Will share these w/ Dad.
Congrats, ymao just got back from the club!

Got a fat boy & black beauty. Got assortment of about 2 dozen kinds of blades.
Voskhod were a surprise; good shave & inexpensive. Polsilver excellent could be my fav & expensive now.
Astra great blade & reasonable price, already got a 100 box of these w/ the laser etched label, great shave. www.ebay.com/itm/Astra-Superior-Platinum-Double-Edge-Shaving-Razor-Blades-100-pcs-BIG-SALE/133068144011
Will share these w/ Dad.
I am going to try a merkur blade tomorrow, I really like the bic blades though for some reason, which my dad says Germany makes the best!

heard these are same as Van Dr Hagens. When my fatboy arrived & still waiting for my premium blade assortments to arrive, grabbed a pack of Van Der Hagens @ Kroger. Used the whole pack @ 3 shaves/blade on #3 setting
Not bad, not great, got the job done, but VdH was the ONLY DEs among good assortment of shave products and cartridge blades @ Kroger. Probably a good choice for starters. Running Astra SP on #4 setting = great shave.

I am going to try a merkur blade tomorrow, I really like the bic blades though for some reason, which my dad says Germany makes the best!

Last edited:
The Astra SS seems to start out sharper and the sharpness decreases with each shave after the second. The SP's first shave isn't as sharp, but it gets sharper after each shave as the coating wears away and lasts longer. I like the SS a little better since I'm 4 shaves and bin. I think both match the performance of my favorite Personna reds or are very very close to it.

Does anyone besides me think that Astras and Gillette Russian SS are the same blade? They feel like it.

The Astra SS seems to start out sharper and the sharpness decreases with each shave after the second. The SP's first shave isn't as sharp, but it gets sharper after each shave as the coating wears away and lasts longer. I like the SS a little better since I'm 4 shaves and bin. I think both match the performance of my favorite Personna reds or are very very close to it.

Does anyone besides me think that Astras and Gillette Russian SS are the same blade? They feel like it.
Astra Super Platinum was bought by Gillette and moved to the same Russia plant that makes the 7 o'clock series. Around the same time, 7 o'clock blue Super Platinum was discontinued. I'm assuming that the super platinum machinery became Astra after they ran out of 7 'clock blue packages. Checking recent reviews it seems that they have also changed some quality and the new supposedly worse blades have the name laser engraved instead of stamped ink.
Many reviews for Gillette in general seem to say that the quality went down when Russia switched to laser engraving instead of ink. But that's another debate.

Many reviews for Gillette in general seem to say that the quality went down when Russia switched to laser engraving instead of ink. But that's another debate.

Quite the opposite experience here.

The laser etched Astra SPs I have are giving me the best shaves I've ever had, including the old ink stamped Astra SPs.

Top Bottom