What's new

Astra Superior Platinum blades, simply the best.

The AstraSP is also my blade of choice. In my Fatip Grande (OC) or Fatip Gentile (CC) it works wonders. The only blade that cames close for me is the Personna Red, and it is awesome that a single 100 pack lasts me about a year. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

The past few times I used Astra SPs and I got some irritation on my legs that I never got when I used Wilkinson Swords. Too bad; the Astras are inexpensive and the WS are not...

I'm in the other camp Astra sp are a terrible blade for my face and have no idea why. I can make almost any blade work but these just feel like a rusty serrated knife, didn't find them sharp or smooth. I would even go as far as saying on the low side of the sharpness scale. For me and my face. luckily there is so many blades to choose from.

So far the Astra SP has given me more neck irritation that any other blade I have tried. It also gives me nicks, cuts and weepers. I'll try it again one day as I like to experiment, but it's nowhere near the top of my list at present.

Love SP, the first shave is not the best. Been shaving since 1984, used a few blades here and there. To me the best blades shave better after the first shave. Top 3 all time blades for me: Gillette spoilers, Astra SP and Gillette plus platinum Brazil. All 3 are very similar.

When I got my first DE razor two years ago, I started out with the Van Der Hagen blades that came with it, then tried the CVS store brand Israelis, and then when I ordered a sampler pack online, Astras were the first ones I tried that cut noticeably better than what I was able to find locally, and still a great performance/price ratio along with Crystals, Sharks, and Voskhods (and probably Personna lab blues, I need to try those again to be sure but I don't remember any complaints from the two in my sampler pack). I do also enjoy more expensive blades from time to time such as GSB, Kai, and Polsilver, but it's great to know there are ones as good as Astra for below 20 cents.

I always bought Feather blades by the 100' pack for the last 5 years but, as Amazon only had the option of Derby or Astra by the 100 now, so I got the Astra SP.

I find the Astra SP is a jack of all trades blade. Has decent sharpness, it's working life for me is more consistent than feather and performs well across a number of razors and shavettes. It does't do anything wrong in my experience and appears to be good value after all this time.

That said, I still prefer feather outright but, I am going through a Gillette sample now.

I've been using Astras as my "100-pack" blade for over five years. Haven't even been tempted to try anything else, after I went through the "variety pack" stage.

Feathers were just too sharp and difficult to use. Astras were the perfect combo of sharpness and comfort for me.

I'm in the other camp Astra sp are a terrible blade for my face and have no idea why. I can make almost any blade work but these just feel like a rusty serrated knife, didn't find them sharp or smooth. I would even go as far as saying on the low side of the sharpness scale. For me and my face. luckily there is so many blades to choose from.

I bought 200 Astra SPs. These are the new Astras with only one side marked with Astra text. They are worst blades I have. My neck is always f**ked up couple of days after shaving. I don't what happened to Astra blades, they used to be good but now they are trash. Today I decided that these new Astras have to go. I wont use them anymore.

I bought 200 Astra SPs. These are the new Astras with only one side marked with Astra text. They are worst blades I have. My neck is always f**ked up couple of days after shaving. I don't what happened to Astra blades, they used to be good but now they are trash. Today I decided that these new Astras have to go. I wont use them anymore.

Irritation is rarely caused by blades. It is almost always caused by either faulty prep, poor technique and/or too many passes and finally by using a razor too aggressive for your particular face.

I've been using Astra SP blades in my Techs. These blades are a great value. Today I tried a Gillette Silver Blue blade, and it performed just a bit more efficiently than my Astra SPs. The GSB cleaved my toughest stubble more efficiently than my Astras. If you like Astra SP blades, you may find GSB blades a tad more efficient. I'm not giving up my Astra SPs, but I may have to consider picking up some GSB blades.
I used to think GSBs were a little bit better than Astra SP.
Now I think Astra SPs are at least equal to GSBs, but they still cost half as much.
Not that the price is really much of an issue. With my last Astra SP blade I got 100 shaves. I should have tossed it at around 85 or 90, but I was so close to the nice round number of 100. It's like watching the odometer roll over.

I tried a few sample blades, then a tuck of Astra. My next purchase was 100 count.
That's pretty much my story too. A sampler, then 100 Astra SPs

Astra SP's are my favorite blade. I just ordered another 300 of them! Plus, I ordered a hundred of the Astra SS blades to try them as well. For the price they simply can't be beat!

Irritation is rarely caused by blades. It is almost always caused by either faulty prep, poor technique and/or too many passes and finally by using a razor too aggressive for your particular face.
Interestingly there are several threads/posts on this forum where people report getting irritation from Astra SP blades. It could be that the coating does not suit everyone (including me).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Interestingly there are several threads/posts on this forum where people report getting irritation from Astra SP blades. It could be that the coating does not suit everyone (including me).
Yup. Astra SS is much kinder to my lovely mug than the SP.

Not that the price is really much of an issue. With my last Astra SP blade I got 100 shaves. I should have tossed it at around 85 or 90, but I was so close to the nice round number of 100. It's like watching the odometer roll over.

‘...watching the odometer roll over..’ That was much more fun in the days when they were mechanical!!

(Still great fun!! :a29:)

Top Bottom