What's new

As Anticipated: Speick Stick Formula Change for 2024

I just ordered some new sticks of Speick, partly because I wanted to see if the formula had changed to match the changes to MWF that we saw earlier this year (I have a theory they are being made in the same location now).

Sure enough, the Speick has changed as predicted, since apparently there have been some changes to EU regs regarding certain ingredients...or at least, that is what some bloke said down the pub. We now have palm kernel acids in the formula, as well as some changes and additions to the ingredients with the long, chemistry compound type names. I wonder if these different salts are simply a biproduct of using the palm kernel acids. Perhaps someone with a chemistry background can comment.

Anyway, there's obviously still significant differences from the MWF formula, but that addition of palm kernel derivatives is a point of similarity.

New formula on the right:

20240417_113947.jpg

I will shave with the new version tomorrow and post my thoughts. I have been using the previous veggie Speick stick quite a bit recently and have actually been really happy with the performance (the lather reminded me of Southern Witchcrafts except without the over-powering levels of fragrance) so I hope that the new version is at least as good. As the changes are relatively low down the list, hopefully there will not be any significant differences.

Last edited:
Funny enough I was just yesterday in the mall and bought a Speick soap stick and an aftershave lotion. Turns out is the same as new formula as @Goblin posted.

Wasn't aware that there is a second vegan formula.
So I checked what Speick soaps I have around and I have the Tallow version, a vegan formula (sadly no packaging) and the new vegan formula.

Notice the difference in color of the soaps, also of the wraps..

Tallow, Vegan v1?, Vegan 2024 (from left to right)
PXL_20240417_173738826.NIGHT.jpg

In any case the (initial) vegan version was just as good as the tallow one. In a blind test I don't think I would distinguish them.

I plan to use the new 2024 version in my next shave and report back 🙂

The fresh soap I just bought does surely smell wonderful though. Just lovely.

...We now have palm kernel acids in the formula, as well as some changes and additions to the ingredients with the long, chemistry compound type names. I wonder if these different salts are simply a biproduct of using the palm kernel acids. Perhaps someone with a chemistry background can comment...

Those ingredients are for softening water (to make the soap lather better with hard water). Most likely a change due to EU regulations. I don't think they are related to the added palm kernel oil.

I used the new formula for my shave this morning. After my shower I applied soap liberally, directly to the whiskers. I always think the lather from sticks is best when you really cake it on. I lathered up with a 24mm tuxedo, and went to work with a Fatip Grande and a fresh Feather.

Long story short: I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between this and the previous veggie formula in a blind test. The fragrance seemed a little bit stronger, but it's a fresh stick. I would also say that maybe, just maybe, I noticed a tiny bit more residual slickness than with the previous stick, but I would need to do several more shaves and alternate between the sticks to be sure that wasn't my imagination.

In short, it's all good here, gentlemen! :thumbup1:

Interested to see if others come to the same conclusion.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I used the new formula for my shave this morning. After my shower I applied soap liberally, directly to the whiskers. I always think the lather from sticks is best when you really cake it on. I lathered up with a 24mm tuxedo, and went to work with a Fatip Grande and a fresh Feather.

Long story short: I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between this and the previous veggie formula in a blind test. The fragrance seemed a little bit stronger, but it's a fresh stick. I would also say that maybe, just maybe, I noticed a tiny bit more residual slickness than with the previous stick, but I would need to do several more shaves and alternate between the sticks to be sure that wasn't my imagination.

In short, it's all good here, gentlemen! :thumbup1:

Interested to see if others come to the same conclusion.
Thanks for the review. Seems like all is well.

Ive never used this soap and compared with arko, little said about it.

What can I expect if I bought it?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A quick question for my North American friends, please. Since this summer I'm coming to the USA, could I find Speick sticks in local supermarkets/drugstores? Are there any other shaving sticks available?

A quick question for my North American friends, please. Since this summer I'm coming to the USA, could I find Speick sticks in local supermarkets/drugstores? Are there any other shaving sticks available?
I’m sorry to say, sir, that you are unlikely to find anything at most grocery or drug stores that doesn’t come in a can, other than perhaps a few tubes of brushless cream. 🙁

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I’m sorry to say, sir, that you are unlikely to find anything at most grocery or drug stores that doesn’t come in a can, other than perhaps a few tubes of brushless cream. 🙁
Sir, what about Cremo shave sticks? Not available as well?

1000008237.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I highly doubt it. If you grabbed 100 random men out of a store in the U.S. and asked them what a shave stick was, you would be lucky to find 1 who even knew what you were talking about.

(Unless there happened to be a B&B meet up going on in the store =)
Very sad indeed. In this case I'm bringing some of my trusted Proraso, a piece of Italy coming to the US with me. :cuppa:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Good call. I see Cremo brushless cream in most stores, but if they have Cremo shave sticks, I haven't noticed them. Best to bring something of your own.
While in New York City I'll give a good look around to see if I can find any Cremo shave sticks. Thank you for answering my questions, Sir. :001_smile

Top Bottom