What's new

Artist Club SEs - keep them or sell them?

I like GEM, but I much prefer AC blades. I find the ATT to be a comfortable, quick shave with no irritation. I can get a great shave with the GEM, but only if I use it regularly. I also pulled out my Hawk v1 a couple of weeks ago and got a superb 2 weeks of shaves off one blade. I also don't find the width of the blade to be an issue.

It seems that a lot of people are acquiring Artist Club razors these days. I was one that bought an ATT SE1 and initially I liked it and the Proline blades and the quick shave it gave me. Some months on I see more of the downsides
- not much acoustic feedback compared to my GEMs, which are more fun
- prefer the GEM PTFE blade
- wider blade can be a disadvantage for detail work
- generally feeling a bit meh and using DE open combs more as well

So I'd like to hear not only from you guys that are still big fans, but also those who have sold up and got out of AC razors. Personally I'm 50/50 at this point but since I have nearly 60 blades I'm wondering about a different model than the ATT SE1 before I hit the BST.
Over the last several weeks I've come to really appreciate the AC blade. I get my best, closest shaves from those blades.

That being said, I still use my Gems and DE razors. Spice of life.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I totally agree. For the last few weeks I am shaving with ATT SE2 and Feather AC blades. The shave is BBS all the time. Few days I used Razorock Black Hawk V2 and got similar results. I think shave with SE razors are superior to DE razors. It is only my opinion. I know many would disagree.

I totally agree. For the last few weeks I am shaving with ATT SE2 and Feather AC blades. The shave is BBS all the time. Few days I used Razorock Black Hawk V2 and got similar results. I think shave with SE razors are superior to DE razors. It is only my opinion. I know many would disagree.

Absolutely, at least for me. I've never gotten shaves this close with a double edge as of yet. And I'm the SE1. I have no real interest in trying for closer or more efficient, at this point I'm satisfied with my shaves with this rig.

Colonial really needs to bring The General back.

In stainless I think it is the perfect razor.
Agreed. Just used mine again tonight with a Proline. Another phenomenal shave. If my skin wasn't still irritated from my previous shave last night it would have been even better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My SS General (w/ ATT Kronos handle) back from North Shore Razors. Great job by Scott. Have a Blackland Vector on the way too...

Attachments

• 76F5978E-C837-4C72-A38D-F133301FFA5E.jpeg
    76F5978E-C837-4C72-A38D-F133301FFA5E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 38
I would say take a break for the razor use something else, maybe try straight razor in a month or two, shave again with the previous one and if you liked that one than strick otherwise moves on... This is how I try things!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My SS General (w/ ATT Kronos handle) back from North Shore Razors. Great job by Scott. Have a Blackland Vector on the way too...

Isn't that pretty!

Hawk.AC.SS.DLC.640.8-12-18.JPG

Reminds me of my Hawk (the Hawk is darker as I look at it in person than this photo shows, but not as dark as I think your General might be).

I have a SS General, too, and like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I can relate to the above, even if my experience is different. I came late to GEMs because they just look so unwieldy compared to a sleek DE. But the Clog-Pruf, followed by the MMOC, was a revelation. The PTFE blade was so damned sharp I'd use that razor to clean up what my DEs hadn't taken off. I then started to notice that I was using the Micromatics to clean up what the SE1 with P-30 had left. For me, there's no doubt in my mind that the PTFE is sharper than the P-30. So my SE1 is now up for sale. Amongst other things (wide blade, damped acoustic feedback) it just isn't much fun to shave with. The GEMs can provide more fun. The Micromatics are a little light and the handle isn't as long or wide as I'd like, so those elements will never be right, but for the PTFE blade I can live with that. However, this leaves the 1912 which is a whole other ballgame. Here I can customise it with the handle of my choice and I still get to use the PTFE blade. I bought 6 for peanuts to play around with. There's a future in the 1912.

But in the interim I bought a Fatip OC and a R41, and this seriously changed my DE shaving experience. The fun came back and I was getting very close shaves to rival, though possibly not exceed, the GEM+PTFE. And I could use my favourite chunky Russian titanium handle. So for me, the Artist Club experience was good - no doubt about the good shaves - but just not good enough. That leaves the GEMs and the efficient open comb DEs. Plenty of fun in both of those options. I'm at the end of the road with the GEMs apart from handle choices, but the DE open combs are a living and breathing evolving experiment. Can't live happily without some kind of evolution.

Just jumped to this very interesting thread. I am on the opposite side. I liked gem blades and I am enjoying a lot injector ones.

Have you tried an Injector razor? I would suggest a Proline blade, maybe you can cut down an artist club one...

Just jumped to this very interesting thread. I am on the opposite side. I liked gem blades and I am enjoying a lot injector ones. Have you tried an Injector razor? I would suggest a Proline blade, maybe you can cut down an artist club one...

I'm totally out of Artist Club razors - everything sold. Wondering if I need to keep on with GEMs even. I'm getting my best shaves ever with R41, Timeless Bronze OC .78 and Karve OC E plate. All on titanium handles. Nacet, Yellows and GSB blades. They cut closer than anything else - even my Micromatics. I see very efficient DEs as my future in shaving. I'm not sentimental about the hardware. It's dog eat dog.

I'm totally out of Artist Club razors - everything sold. Wondering if I need to keep on with GEMs even. I'm getting my best shaves ever with R41, Timeless Bronze OC .78 and Karve OC E plate. All on titanium handles. Nacet, Yellows and GSB blades. They cut closer than anything else - even my Micromatics. I see very efficient DEs as my future in shaving. I'm not sentimental about the hardware. It's dog eat dog.

I was suggesting injectors in fact. At the end, it is good that you are focused on fewer items.

I like the variety of multiple formats. I currently use a Black Hawk AC, an MMOC Gem, a Supply injector and a Game Changer Double Edge. Much like with soaps and brushes, my favorite changes from day to day.

I like the variety of multiple formats. I currently use a Black Hawk AC, an MMOC Gem, a Supply injector and a Game Changer Double Edge. Much like with soaps and brushes, my favorite changes from day to day.

Yes - variety is great. I'm a guy with 30 artisan soaps! But the question I have to ask myself is whether I can compromise on the shave quality. My very efficient DEs are so far outdoing the rest in shave quality. Going less efficient means more strokes, more stubble. Is it worth it? I can rotate soaps and brushes and they'll have virtually no effect on the quality of the shave, but the razor and the blades are pretty crucial.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Keep 'em.

Our shaving changes over time - we improve or we become less able to manage it or something - so we might need and love and appreciate having down the road items which seem superfluous now.

That said, there are certainly razors many of us could rid ourselves of as we have similar razors which we know are better. Also, sometimes we might need to sell something because we need the money.

Selling something and then buying it again at a higher price ain't fun.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
But the question I have to ask myself is whether I can compromise on the shave quality.

That hits the thumb squarely on the nail for me. :001_302: I got started in wet shaving to find the kind of shaves I was getting before they forgot how to make electrics that could shave close. Most of the year since then has been a more-or-less straight line from "mild, non-aggressive" to "I think that may be too aggressive." While I love the tech and artistry, I'm really just about finding an outfit that will give me a good shave.

Granted I've gotten to that goal by walking a specific path: I'm sure if I pursued DE a little more strongly I'd find a razor that gave me the shave I wanted. I went to SE instead and found a couple things that work pretty well: MMOC and SE1/SE2. I'm still amazed at the shave from the SE1 with a Proline.

But I've reached a point where I can stay for a while. That means I'll be refining technique and occasionally dusting off a different razor to see how it works for me now. (ATT G1, for instance.) But I'm less inclined to go trying new razors, because it feels like, "Here we go again -- do I really want to climb the learning curve with this thing?"

That also means I have a couple razors for the BST, and a couple of Gem and Ever-Ready that will probably get PIFed because I only paid $2.50 for them to begin with. I'll hang on to the rest, including a slant that I tried and liked before turning off the DE path.

O.H.

Top Bottom