What's new

art of the shave........somewhat disappointing today

Been to the NOLA location...

Remember there is the older, tallow, Valobra-made AoS sandalwood, then there's the new version.

I have their sandalwood oil (a gift), and it's the real deal. Super expensive, like all their stuff.

AA
Not to mention the NOLA location on Canal Street is a bear to get to. Even on a Saturday, this stupid city insists you must pay to park downtown -- the meters, believe it or not, are live. You can park a mile away and risk having your car vandalized, and sweat a quart of bodily fluids while you walk to Canal and back . . . or you can buy online.

The AoS store is next door to a premium men's clothing shop that's been around for decades, and right around the corner is the only hat store in town, Meyer the Hatter. But none of them is worth the parking trouble and cost.

Some items at AOS are pretty decent products like their aftershave balms for example. So if I see any of these at the local Tjmaxx or Ross stores in the closeout section I'd buy them without hesitation. I'd even consider purchasing them at the inflated AOS store prices. The older tallow version soaps that were made by Valobra were pretty decent as well but those have all been replaced by a newer more drying version. Other items like the $225 cart razor handle are absolutely insane. Pricing on straight and de razors are inflated to say the least. The newer colognes are nice but definitely a bit pricey as well.

I thought I read that their overpriced higher end brushes were made by Shavemac some time ago but they've recently gotten away from badger brushes due to pressure from animal rights activists. So it seems they'll be offering synthetics going forward. For me, this is another step backwards as well.

I used to stop by their stores occasionally but I don't find myself doing so anymore.

If you know what you're doing you can find much better products at much more reasonable prices via the internet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Not to mention the NOLA location on Canal Street is a bear to get to. Even on a Saturday, this stupid city insists you must pay to park downtown -- the meters, believe it or not, are live. You can park a mile away and risk having your car vandalized, and sweat a quart of bodily fluids while you walk to Canal and back . . . or you can buy online.

The AoS store is next door to a premium men's clothing shop that's been around for decades, and right around the corner is the only hat store in town, Meyer the Hatter. But none of them is worth the parking trouble and cost.
Ah. I walked. We were on our way to Commander's Palace, as I recall ... caught a streetcar right around the corner.

They employee knew little about DE shaving, but this was a couple years ago.

AA

Buying from an artisan is the way to go. Besides, AoS is owned by P&G, they don’t need anymore of your money. Back in the day, AoS was a wet shaving oasis in the middle of a Gillette desert, not so anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been to an Art of Shaving store. The only one near me is too far away to be practical...
Things seemed a bit $$$ at their website so I just buy from Amazon, Maggards...

Just a question I'll throw out here, somewhat related:
Do you think that small "local" shops that sell shaving supplies would actually survive these days?
(razors, blades, soaps, etc as well as maybe colognes, beard supplies?)
I've been thinking about possibly starting a local business.
There are no stores like that anywhere around here that I've ever seen. Maybe for a good reason.

We have a store like here in the Columbus area. Oh, there's an AoS over at the Easton Mall...but it is expensive and everything there is mostly AoS brand stuff.

My preferred shaving store is River's Edge Cutlery. I bought my Parker Variant there earlier this year. And I get my Arko and Pinaud items there as well. They have a nice mix of items from a variety of makers. It is certainly more interesting to browse than AoS.

Now, whether or not it is a viable business model is another matter. I've often wondered if a hybrid store, like a cigar store that is also a wet shaving store might work better. Hard to say. I support River's Edge Cutlery even though I know I'm paying a markup that I wouldn't be paying if I ordered the stuff online directly. But for some things, I just prefer to walk into a store.

I've never been to an Art of Shaving store. The only one near me is too far away to be practical...
Things seemed a bit $$$ at their website so I just buy from Amazon, Maggards...

Just a question I'll throw out here, somewhat related:
Do you think that small "local" shops that sell shaving supplies would actually survive these days?
(razors, blades, soaps, etc as well as maybe colognes, beard supplies?)
There are no stores like that anywhere around here that I've ever seen. Maybe for a good reason.
I live in Atlanta and we have a phenomenal Barber Supply store here that is dirt cheap. Everything is less expensive than online prices and it's thriving. Maybe this is the exception, but I get much of what I use there instead of online.

We have a store like here in the Columbus area. Oh, there's an AoS over at the Easton Mall...but it is expensive and everything there is mostly AoS brand stuff.

My preferred shaving store is River's Edge Cutlery. I bought my Parker Variant there earlier this year. And I get my Arko and Pinaud items there as well. They have a nice mix of items from a variety of makers. It is certainly more interesting to browse than AoS.

Now, whether or not it is a viable business model is another matter. I've often wondered if a hybrid store, like a cigar store that is also a wet shaving store might work better. Hard to say. I support River's Edge Cutlery even though I know I'm paying a markup that I wouldn't be paying if I ordered the stuff online directly. But for some things, I just prefer to walk into a store.

http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=377_400_401
The Cigar/gif shop/high end shaving concept works really well! Just for Him in Springfield, MO is very nice!
https://www.badgerandblade.com/for...m-my-visit-to-missouris-shaving-mecca.533963/

I live in Atlanta and we have a phenomenal Barber Supply store here that is dirt cheap. Everything is less expensive than online prices and it's thriving. Maybe this is the exception, but I get much of what I use there instead of online.

Lucky man!! Terrific!! :a29:

AoS = Art of the Rip-Off.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I too looked at their razor prices. $65 for a 34C is shameful and was all I needed to see before leaving the website. I’m not comparing the price to flash sales or discount sites. Just run of the mill, MSRP at any shaving site in the world pegs it at $45 or less. Selling above MSRP and taking advantage of gift buyers is unacceptable to me. I would imagine a fair bit of their sales is from unsuspecting family members of shavers making purchases for loved ones, and they don’t know any better. There are countless other examples on the site of this practice.

Even when you factor in shipping charges online, where applicable of course, it’s still cheaper to buy online. I just thought the selection of soaps and creams and brushes was pretty sad. Maybe it’s just the crappy milwaukee location?

I wish there was a brick and mortar shave soap near me, I’d really value that!

Lucky man!! Terrific!! :a29:
Thank you! I've mentioned in previous posts that they have the amazing Merkur 45 for $20 instead of the $35 it costs online. All of their clubman stuff is in the $5 range. If you wanna check out the website, they do sell online as well: www.atlantabarber.com

I know you're fond of your Wolfman and Simpson collection, but if you don't have a Merkur 45 this is the place to order it.

totally enjoy my AOS shave items as well as our local AOS outlet!
so what if it's higher priced?!
the products are uniformly high quality, and i say that after sampling lots of shave items!
how many other shave brands have brick and mortar outlets where we can actually test/try items???
your honor, i rest my case!!

aos shop.JPG

Not to sound negative here, but I have visited AOS as well and I believe they are doing more harm than good. The prices are out in left field for sure, but if you have someone who would be new to this, they could be turned off in a heartbeat! Unless they found the good folks at Maggards, etc., we would never see them here. I'm sorry, but in the current climate, people are holding onto their hard earned money, so stores like AOS will suffer, but we suffer as a whole without the proper exposure. I hope this makes sense.

Possible, sure, but yeah could be a challenge. Really depends on the location and available market. A small shave store tried to make it in the mall here (I remember they had TOBS, the holy black, good stuff), but closed its doors after 2 or 3 years - this is a small town though so probably not the best place for a more niche market store.

when I first got interested in the possibility of traditional wet shaving, I bought a
small "sample pack" from AOS, which included a "baby" pure badger brush, pre-shave oil, shave cream, and
after shave balm.

Yep, I was gifted that exact set by my brother-in-law one Christmas and it all snowballed from there into the shaving addiction. People may have polarized opinions about AoS, but it's not all bad. I've never found issue with the quality of their products, but won't argue the store is overpriced. No samples is BS though. Unless my memory is failing me, the last time I went to an AoS store (a few months ago) was in Roosevelt Field Mall and I could've sworn they had containers open of the different scents to smell/sample.

http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=377_400_401
The Cigar/gif shop/high end shaving concept works really well! Just for Him in Springfield, MO is very nice!
https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/just-for-him-my-visit-to-missouris-shaving-mecca.533963/

I will second luecke2326 on the Just For Him store in Springfield MO. They have a busy shop that is half cigar store, half haberdashery, with a huge shaving section. An entire shelving unit is devoted to aftershaves to try on in store as well as another shelf unit devoted to samples of soaps and creams for sale. The young lady who assisted me was knowedgable. My only complaint was too much cigar smoke drifted from the lounge which interfered with smelling samples.

Besides my plug for this shop, my point is that a store of this kind can do well if the right conditions exist:

1. Be very customer focused. Word of mouth is a double edged sword.
2. Don’t price yourself out of reach of the average customer. People will pay for quality products and services, but will be put off by a vendor who milks it.
3. Location, location, location. This is the hard part as the best locations command the highest rent.

Personally, I prefer to patronize local businesses and do not mind spending a little extra if my experience is just a little special. Butcher shops, bakeries, mom and pop hardware stores, etc. all get my business if the service is special.

There have been a lot of new small shops opening in my town lately, which is what made me consider opening up a shop. Most are just small artisan type shops: a "She-Shed" store, an engraving shop, coffee shop that sells artsy stuff...
There's a new bakery that sells all their bread within the first hour or two. People hang out in front a few hours before they open to try to get some.

It would probably be something to try at a consignment store or a place where I could rent out a space.
Certainly won't make a living selling blades though...
I typically get all excited when I first start a new hobby, etc and want to do a career change. :)

The best part would be that I'd of course have to test out all of the products first.

Top Bottom