What's new

DE shaving for old guys

One thing I've noticed after switching to DE from cartridge is that I have to be very careful around saggy skin areas. Besides sagging under the chin, you can also get skin "anomalies" that just show up after years and years of walking around in the sun, playing tennis, etc.

So with the old Atra2, I could just pretty much ignore all of that--it didn't really shave you as give you a mild trim until the next day. And this was probably the target market: men going to work, with a daily shave as just one more chore, like making up lunch. You could pretty much shave any old way and go out the door. And really, you didn't much care so long as your co-workers could see that you had, indeed, conformed to societal exprectancies.

...at least for Boomer sensibilities.

But now I find that using that little Vikings Blade butterfly, I can shave my cheeks (jowls?) downward with impunity, even pressing a bit (don't need to, but it's 40 years of cartridge habit). But around the chin I have to come at it from all directions, taking a bit of care. And down below the chin, on the neck, I've got to be really careful on one side, WTG on one part, then flipping to ATG for a part that has some kind of skin anomaly. The other side of the neck is pretty much WTG all the way.

Pretty much I'm shaving every other day, just out of laziness (been retired for maybe 10 years, and my wife is a pleasure to get along with, that's for sure), but may soon go back to every day, just for the challenge of it. I have to do it after a shower, or else it's twice as difficult (and risky), and have never done skin prep and likely never will. I use cheap shaving foam, and I just don't think it's in me to do much more--although it can clearly see how all of it would help.

Silly as it sounds, ideally I would like to shave with just a wet face, so that I could get a kick out of clearly seeing the progress with each pass. As it is, the ol' Barbasol masks it. But any time I tried that, it was a BIG mistake. I think I only did it twice, when I was a lot younger and braver.

Oh, well!

Any observations on shaving issues/techniques for >70 would be appreciated, of course.

I've already learned a lot, and whoever first suggested that I look at used Gillettes, to which I haughtily replied "Not for me, my good man!", I owe that person an apology. <:^(

Get yourself a tube of poraso shaving cream, red or the cooling green for summer, and a yaqi synthetic shaving brush, or a boar. They come in very cheap and it really helps the shave. It gives you something to do as you look in the mirror and wonder where all the years have gone..

Blades are a hard one. Get a sample pack, these are available on line. A Gillette Platinum is a nice smooth and acceptably sharp all purpose blade.

Where was I? Oh yes. There are some good threads on here for good tips. @AimlessWanderer did an excellent job here.

Part 1
The Wanderer's Guide To DE Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-wanderers-guide-to-de-shaving.532194/

Part 2
The Wanderers Guide - Episode 2 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-wanderers-guide-episode-2.540810/

These are great reads and full of good advice!

Welcome aboard, @Shoegazer! Lovely introduction!

@Alum Ladd has provided some excellent suggestions and links to solid advice. I second the idea of getting a shaving brush and some shaving soap/cream. It sounds like you are starting to enjoy shaving as a hobby and moving on from canned goo well markedly add to your enjoyment.

Be careful with the used Gillettes...it is a slippery slope and before you know it one will turn into a handful and possibly even more!;) Fortunately it's not too much of a problem until you start finding yourself shopping for three packs of plastic tackle boxes to store them in...speaking from experience!

Silly as it sounds, ideally I would like to shave with just a wet face, so that I could get a kick out of clearly seeing the progress with each pass. As it is, the ol' Barbasol masks it. But any time I tried that, it was a BIG mistake. I think I only did it twice, when I was a lot younger and braver.
You could use a lightweight shave cream instead of the cheap foam. I’ve used Jack Black Beard Lube and Giovanni shave cream and like them both. They go on thin and translucent so you can see the stubble as you shave while still providing the lubrication and beard softening properties you need for comfort.

G’day Shoegazer.

You and I are not far apart in age. I, too, am suffering the effects of gravity and too much sun.

I can’t recommend enough that you give away the shaving foam. It gives little to no protection for our aging complexions. A brush and soap/cream are so much better for us, as Alum Ladd suggests.

If that does not appeal, there are some shaving gels that will give you better protection than foam. No brush needed.

Another thing which might help is to gently pull those…shall we say…less than taut areas, until they become flat. So much easier to get a close shave when a blade comes into contact with a flat surface.

Enjoy your shaving experience.

Cheers
Wal

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As a guy who has lived a life of riding hard and put away wet, I sympathize with the challenge.
As has been mentioned, a decent, slick cream or soap applied wet and thinly may give you more of what you're looking for than canned foam, and provide better protection.
Manually stretching the skin in loose areas is a must do for us saggy guys.
On the neck I use the free hand to pull the skin back towards the spine to avoid catching loose skin.
If your hands are too slippery from the soap, a fingertip touch on an alum block is all that's needed to allow a good grip.

Learn to stretch the skin as you shave. The goal of skin stretching is just to achieve a flatter surface. Brushless creams can work well while making it easier to see what you're shaving. I have used Jack Black, Creemo and a few others. Overall, I prefer hard soaps, but could use a brushless cream if needed for every shave.

Last edited:
As an experienced guy I echo the what others have already said, pull the skin on your neck tight and get a proper shaving soap. I like Proraso, its cheap, reliable and a great soap. If you want to forego a brush then Cremo is a great and inexpensive option.

Like any activity/hobby you can become consumed with chasing the next big(?) thing in your shaving experience -- it becomes an obsession. One can do just fine using a modest set tools (brush, soap, razor, blades etc.) a shave only lasts 1-2 days and you have to do it over again. Watch out for rabbit holes. :adoration:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You could use a lightweight shave cream instead of the cheap foam. I’ve used Jack Black Beard Lube and Giovanni shave cream and like them both. They go on thin and translucent so you can see the stubble as you shave while still providing the lubrication and beard softening properties you need for comfort.

I don't know if you sold the OP, but I just ordered the small tube. Too many people have told me how well Jack Black Beard Lube works as a translucent shave cream. I doubt I'll use it very often, but it will be fun to try.

Jack Black Beard Lube.480..png

I ordered it from Amazon and should get it on Wednesday. Link.

Back to the OP's issues:

Unlike many others I find skin stretching ineffective and counterproductive. That doesn't mean I do no skin stretching. I actually do some facial contortions and such which slightly stretch my skin perhaps, but mostly smooth it out a little bit. Too much stretching though is easy to do and detrimental to my skin and my shaves. I'm not saying anything is wrong with skin stretching if it works for you, but it's not a universal fix.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

As a guy who has lived a life of riding hard and put away wet, I sympathize with the challenge.
As has been mentioned, a decent, slick cream or soap applied wet and thinly may give you more of what you're looking for than canned foam, and provide better protection.
Manually stretching the skin in loose areas is a must do for us saggy guys.
On the neck I use the free hand to pull the skin back towards the spine to avoid catching loose skin.
If your hands are too slippery from the soap, a fingertip touch on an alum block is all that's needed to allow a good grip.
Great advice!

I've always had a tough spot: adam's apple. I used to shave downward and get as close as I could, then swallow and hold it "up" and shave the skin where it had once been.

But it's real saggy now and needs more tricks.

Those old pivoting cartridge shavers really insulated you from that, but then again, it gave a shave that guaranteed that I'd need to shave again if we went out that night.

Now it might be OK with the DE, but we never go out anymore... :^(

I don't know if you sold the OP, but I just ordered the small tube. Too many people have told me how well Jack Black Beard Lube works as a translucent shave cream. I doubt I'll use it very often, but it will be fun to try.

View attachment 1684025

Back to the OP's issues:

Unlike many others I find skin stretching ineffective and counterproductive. That doesn't mean I do no skin stretching. I actually do some facial contortions and such which slightly stretch my skin perhaps, but mostly smooth it out a little bit. Too much stretching though is easy to do and detrimental to my skin and my shaves. I'm not saying anything is wrong with skin stretching if it works for you, but it's not a universal fix.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
Yes, I am mostly grimacing, which smooths things out somewhat.

It's more fun than stretching with your fingers.

I old, beat up, have old skin, I know if I using a Schick SST, I could shave drunk. No cuts, nicks, and I can use as much pressure as possible. No problems except so so shave.

When I use any of my Vintages, I must let weight of Razor do work. If I use pressure, I get irritation, or risk nicks or cuts.

SST weigh nothing, DE weigh in at about 1.9 OZ. That big weight difference is a lot.

I use the SST’s because I have few left, when they are all gone.

Then I will use only Vintages.

One thing I've noticed after switching to DE from cartridge is that I have to be very careful around saggy skin areas. Besides sagging under the chin, you can also get skin "anomalies" that just show up after years and years of walking around in the sun, playing tennis, etc.

So with the old Atra2, I could just pretty much ignore all of that--it didn't really shave you as give you a mild trim until the next day. And this was probably the target market: men going to work, with a daily shave as just one more chore, like making up lunch. You could pretty much shave any old way and go out the door. And really, you didn't much care so long as your co-workers could see that you had, indeed, conformed to societal exprectancies.

...at least for Boomer sensibilities.

But now I find that using that little Vikings Blade butterfly, I can shave my cheeks (jowls?) downward with impunity, even pressing a bit (don't need to, but it's 40 years of cartridge habit). But around the chin I have to come at it from all directions, taking a bit of care. And down below the chin, on the neck, I've got to be really careful on one side, WTG on one part, then flipping to ATG for a part that has some kind of skin anomaly. The other side of the neck is pretty much WTG all the way.

Pretty much I'm shaving every other day, just out of laziness (been retired for maybe 10 years, and my wife is a pleasure to get along with, that's for sure), but may soon go back to every day, just for the challenge of it. I have to do it after a shower, or else it's twice as difficult (and risky), and have never done skin prep and likely never will. I use cheap shaving foam, and I just don't think it's in me to do much more--although it can clearly see how all of it would help.

Oh, well!

Any observations on shaving issues/techniques for >70 would be appreciated, of course.

I've already learned a lot, and whoever first suggested that I look at used Gillettes, to which I haughtily replied "Not for me, my good man!", I owe that person an apology. <:^(
Welcome to B&B

I’m an old dude same as you. The shave links certainly are excellent and will help you progress hopefully with close comfortable shaves.

There are also shave videos which can help those of us who need to see someone dong it. Starting out I found them helpful.

A few of my opinions and comments. Skin stretching is a lousy way to say it. We want to shave Flat skin surfaces, like our cheeks. Pull the skin slightly taut and relax the tension grip to have a flat relaxed skin.

Like you I came here resistant to pre and post skin care. I have always had very sensitive skin areas. My present shaves pre and post shave skin care combined are longer in length than the shave.

I considered myself a minimalist when I got here. A Harry’s razor, one silver tip Badger, and a pair of two band badgers and shave cream. I had been lathering over two and half decades so lathering wasn’t new to me. Brushes certainly were, boar, horse, synthetic. In my heart I wanted to remain a minimalist. I also wanted a shave kit that would achieve maximum efficiency and comfort. That journey took a couple of years to find what best suited my shave style. Software and hardware there are no short cuts, what works for me, might not work for you. You have to try the stuff for yourself. I got back to minimalism in about three years. I know you are probably saying no way. I also said that.. Enjoy your experience it’s a process. There’s a lot of advice and help in the community which for me has been the most fun. You couldn’t find a better clubhouse. Beware of Enablers.
Good Luck and Happy Shaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an experienced guy I echo the what others have already said, pull the skin on your neck tight and get a proper shaving soap. I like Proraso, its cheap, reliable and a great soap. If you want to forego a brush then Cremo is a great and inexpensive option.

Like any activity/hobby you can become consumed with chasing the next big(?) thing in your shaving experience -- it becomes an obsession. One can do just fine using a modest set tools (brush, soap, razor, blades etc.) a shave only lasts 1-2 days and you have to do it over again. Watch out for rabbit holes. :adoration:

I echo the good Captain's comments on Proraso and Cremo. Both are great, inexpensive options.

Welcome to B&B

I’m an old dude same as you. The shave links certainly are excellent and will help you progress hopefully with close comfortable shaves.

There are also shave videos which can help those of us who need to see someone dong it. Starting out I found them helpful.

A few of my opinions and comments. Skin stretching is a lousy way to say it. We want to shave Flat skin surfaces, like our cheeks. Pull the skin slightly taut and relax the tension grip to have a flat relaxed skin.

Like you I came here resistant to pre and post skin care. I have always had very sensitive skin areas. My present shaves pre and post shave skin care combined are longer in length than the shave.

I considered myself a minimalist when I got here. A Harry’s razor, one silver tip Badger, and a pair of two band badgers and shave cream. I had been lathering over two and half decades so lathering wasn’t new to me. Brushes certainly were, boar, horse, synthetic. In my heart I wanted to remain a minimalist. I also wanted a shave kit that would achieve maximum efficiency and comfort. That journey took a couple of years to find what best suited my shave style. Software and hardware there are no short cuts, what works for me, might not work for you. You have to try the stuff for yourself. I got back to minimalism in about three years. I know you are probably saying no way. I also said that.. Enjoy your experience it’s a process. There’s a lot of advice and help in the community which for me has been the most fun. You couldn’t find a better clubhouse. Beware of Enablers.
Good Luck and Happy Shaves.
No, these are all great points about prep. I was the one who said "No used razors for me..." and bought one last night.

Pull traction as if you’re shaving with a straight.

I find that I have to pull a little harder as time goes by.

I don't know much about pulling skin for the shave yet so I won't go there but I agree with two points already stated.

Figure out and map hair growth. I used to shave my chin 6 directions to get it properly cleaned up. Now two well executed intentional passes will do the same job.

Secondly get a brush and soap or cream. The difference is mind boggling and can change the shave from a chore to a luxury.

I would get a synthetic brush. They're inexpensive, last forever, don't need presoaks and tend to be less finicky. Razorock, yaqi, fine all great options. I would then get a cream to start. Maybe Proraso blue or green, or Palmolive cream. They're all great inexpensive options.

Just my $0.02

View attachment 1684025

That’s the same tube I bought. I pretty much just use it when I travel as I don’t like to pack a brush.

Top Bottom