What's new

Arlington indecision

I was about to pull the trigger on some Arlington soap (as discussed in another thread), when it hit me that with winter and drier skin approaching I might want to go for the cream instead. Frugality dictates only buying one of them at this point, and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts. Thanks.

What caused you to favor the soap over the cream?

I have been using mostly soaps lately. In the last 6 months, I might have used a cream a handful of times. I guess I have just been enjoying the type of lather that the soaps are affording me. I guess a bit slicker and cut a bit closer.

Ah, I see. My shaving journey is taking me in the opposite direction! Isn't it great that more than one path leads to nirvana!

Frugality

That word alone makes the soap the best bet. Really, shaving with a good soap and prep should be no less moisturising than shaving with a good cream and prep. If anything else, you can always add moisture with your post-shave routine, or an evening moisturiser or whatever.

Even if you did find the soap drying, i'm sure someone in the BST forum would gladly purchase it. The Harris soaps have a great reputation.

If anything else, you can always add moisture with your post-shave routine

True. I am currently using a mild splash (Harris Pink), which is nice, but I'm thinking of switching to something more moisturizing for the winter.

I mostly use soaps all year and during the winter if I feel I might need extra moisturizing I use KMF unscented moisturizing cream along with my soap of choice (super lather) and this seems to work just fine for me. YMMV of course :wink:

its been my experience that soaps do not dry my skin anymore than most creams.

Harris is much better known for their soaps over their creams. Their creams are good, but their soaps are much better. When you add the cost savings... well soap is the way to go. You could almost save enough to justify getting some Arlington milk to go with it. :rolleyes:

Since I don't want you guys to lose any sleep wondering what my decision would be, I can tell you that it was - - - - neither! I actually ended up going with the Almond soap, because the store didn't have an Arlington stick and I wanted something I could use for travel. I'll report back and let you know how I like it, although I assume it might take me a day or two to get my stick lathering technique down.

Edit: sorry for the Arlington wild goose chase. I went into the store planning to buy it, but inventory intervened.

(Speaking of stores, for those of you in NYC, is it my imagination or does the Pasteur Pharmacy on 34th St. have different prices than the one on 62nd & Lex.?)

After one shave with the Almond soap, my opinion is that it's excellent. The later is great, maybe better than the Tabac, and it seems very gentle on my sensitive skin. I also had no problem lathering with the shaving stick; in fact, I think it's easier than the bowl, and may become my preferred method.

Top Bottom