What's new

Arko

I've been wet shaving for about 25 years. Tabac has always been my go-to favorite, though I enjoy trying different soaps and creams. My 22 year old son gifted me some Stirling products a while back, and I'm now a big fan of their stuff.

Until recently I had never tried Arko. I've always liked the retro looking label and the fact that it's been around so long. So many esteemed members here rave about it, and some feature it in their screen names and avatars, so I figured it was time to give it a try. My initial thinking was the smaller size would make it ideal for use as mostly a travel soap and in the RV. I went into it without any real expectations, except that I figured it wouldn't suck because so many like it so much. To say I have been blown away would be an understatement. It lathers so easily, and I find the slickness about ideal. I find the smell to just be "clean", almost like my grandmas freshly washed laundry hanging on the clothesline in her backyard when I was a kid. This morning I did a two pass shave instead of my more typical three pass. I went WTG and ATG and skipped XTG. I got a very, very fine shave, almost BBS with very little effort and zero irritation. I'm a convert. It's going to be my go-to travel and RV shave soap, and it will remain a regular part of my at home rotation as well. The fact that its such a bargain is icing on the cake.

I was surprised to finally try it after being so dismissive of it for so long for no other reason than price. I mean, how good could it be compared to my English creams and French soaps, etc.? Turns out, pretty darn good. I don't do all the stuff that so many B&B members do with 'a this of the month' or 'that club' but Arko is a surprise. I did the stick mashed into a bowl thing but it didn't stay cohesive so I bought a puck and if someone asked what I'd recommend, unless you want a stick of shaving soap, but the puck. I use it every week or two (I've got 15-18 soaps and creams in rotation).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Arko. So many esteemed members here rave about it.
* (SLIGHTLY edited for clarity....)

And even less than "esteemed" members like FarmerTan!

Arko gets a few jabs here and there, but honestly, I like the clean "gasoline station restroom" appeal of the scent. My Dad was the "King of the Side Hustle" when I was growing up, and he used to deliver fuel oil for extra money and I got to ride along with him (probably to give my mom a break, lol. I might have been a hard child to rear if you believe my siblings) and I loved everything about it. That beautiful Arko smell transports me to being about 4 years old in mere nanoseconds!

Sincerely glad you like Arko @drysideshooter !

I've been wet shaving for about 25 years. Tabac has always been my go-to favorite, though I enjoy trying different soaps and creams. My 22 year old son gifted me some Stirling products a while back, and I'm now a big fan of their stuff.

Until recently I had never tried Arko. I've always liked the retro looking label and the fact that it's been around so long. So many esteemed members here rave about it, and some feature it in their screen names and avatars, so I figured it was time to give it a try. My initial thinking was the smaller size would make it ideal for use as mostly a travel soap and in the RV. I went into it without any real expectations, except that I figured it wouldn't suck because so many like it so much. To say I have been blown away would be an understatement. It lathers so easily, and I find the slickness about ideal. I find the smell to just be "clean", almost like my grandmas freshly washed laundry hanging on the clothesline in her backyard when I was a kid. This morning I did a two pass shave instead of my more typical three pass. I went WTG and ATG and skipped XTG. I got a very, very fine shave, almost BBS with very little effort and zero irritation. I'm a convert. It's going to be my go-to travel and RV shave soap, and it will remain a regular part of my at home rotation as well. The fact that its such a bargain is icing on the cake.
Hi Drysideshooter, Agree with you completely. For anyone purely focused on shaving soap/lather performance Arko is the best value out there. It works almost as well or better than anything else Ive tried and I also like the aroma too.

A fine and uplifting thread, where the more mature and sage colleague can bathe in the soft warm glow of cheerful and heartwarming Arko! inspired anecdotes and reports of amazing shaves achieved with this wonderous soap.

But beware Gentlemen, I hear rustlings in the undergrowth.

Soon there will be cruel and ill-informed comments posted here about urinal pucks etc, by the usual suspects.

But we must take the rough with the smooth.

A tip, Brother @drysideshooter. Arko must always be typed Arko! The ! says it all about the wonderful product commonly called Arko!

Very glad you liked it!

Last edited:
Just got my first whiff of Arko! today. Haven't used it yet though. I got the puck and I figure if I like it I can buy a stick and mash it into the bowl when I need more. I was prepared for the worst because of how some folks speak of it, but I don't find it objectionable or even that strong of a scent.

Five months or so ago when I finally caved, or more to the point, could no longer put it off.
I tried Arko!.

It's been my go-to daily soap since then. I like the clean smell, the performance is all
around great, can't beat the price.

That being said, tomorrow is B&M Reserve Spice Sunday.

You get to shave again tomorrow!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have to say, I've never been in a public bathroom that smelled like Arko.
Then brother, you ain't got enough friends in low places!
But beware Gentlemen, I hear rustlings in the undergrowth.

Soon there will be cruel and ill-informed comments posted here about urinal pucks etc, by the usual suspects.

But we must take the rough with the smooth.
You just HAD to rattle @Mike M 's chain, dinchya?!

Top Bottom