What's new

Arko

Greetings Everybody,
After reading reviews I thought of buying a pack (12) Arko soap sticks for daily use since it is cheap.

Is it advisable?

Any comments from the veterans?

Rschan

sure...if you like arko and the characteristics of the stick...I do...you can always keep half and sell the rest on the forum,I think I figured out that 2 sticks,shipped in a bubble mailer at $7 would be fair for you and the buyer...a dozen sticks would last many years,myself I crave variety....

They stink, but perform very well. I have aired out my couple sticks for a while now, and they scent isn't as offensive anymore.
Some like the scent, but as always, YMMV. Performance pr dollar is sky high.

Since they are cheap I would recommend buying a single stick first before you drop for a case. Arko works well but the scent is absolutely not for everyone.

If you smoosh one into a soap bowl and let it air out for a couple of days, the smell is actually pleasant and soapy clean. It is a great soap! I used it today and loved it. I have a lot of expensive soaps and creams. Arko performs with the best of them and a fraction of the price.

Buy the case! If you don't like it you can always put it up for sale here. It is one of the best values in traditional wetshaving.

Do not advise a blind buy of 12 Arko sticks.

Hell, I don't advise a blind buy of a single Arko stick. :wink2:

Arko is a lather machine. The smell? To quote a fellow B&B'er on another recent Arko thread, Arko
"smells like a great shave".

They stink, but perform very well. I have aired out my couple sticks for a while now, and they scent isn't as offensive anymore.
Some like the scent, but as always, YMMV. Performance pr dollar is sky high.

Since they are cheap I would recommend buying a single stick first before you drop for a case. Arko works well but the scent is absolutely not for everyone.

If you smoosh one into a soap bowl and let it air out for a couple of days, the smell is actually pleasant and soapy clean. It is a great soap! I used it today and loved it. I have a lot of expensive soaps and creams. Arko performs with the best of them and a fraction of the price.

I've pressed mine into an Old Spice Soap Mug, it's uncovered and after ~7 weeks there is virtually no scent. When I build a lather, I get a subtle lemon aroma that's quite pleasant and refreshing, a polar opposite when it's first unwrapped, and the performance is not degraded, a very inexpensive fine lathering soap.

Great performer but I think most folks who have a complaint about it, it would be the scent. Let it "breathe" for a bit and it should mellow out.

I ordered a single Arko stick on Ebay a number of months ago. When I first opened it I just couldn't take that super-strong scent. (The urinal-puck comments kind of nail it scent-wise). But after a week or so of air-ing out the scent came way down and is now actually pretty nice. The lather is great and I like Arko quite a bit and use it at least once per week.

Per the 12-stick buy, If you only use Arko one stick might last 3 months. So 12 sticks would last 4 years using only Arko. perhaps you should start with a stick or two and make sure that you like it first.

Personally I think the aroma/urinal puck thing is overdone (no matter that it's an accurate description). The scent dissipates fairly quickly as a previous poster mentioned, you will only smell a mild lemon scent when you use it.

12 sticks will last you a long, long time.

You can hoard it for the shavepocalypse.
You could sell or trade some.
You could PIF.

In any event, you can't go wrong with Arko. It lathers easily, even in hard water. It makes wonderful, rich, protective lather and it's so inexpensive that it's almost free.

I think the smell is nice and soapy, the performance is great. Great soap for a really small price. Buy a stick and try. You won't regret it.

Buy the case. People complain about the smell, but I don't understand that. Opening a stick, one smells strong soap. After a couple of days it has no more a disagreeable smell than a bar of ivory soap.

GREAT value, GREAT lather, GREAT shave.

It will last you a while too. Feed it into your rotation. I use it for my week day shaves and keep my more luxury goods for the weekends.

You did the right thing getting the crate. One or two sticks ordered loose from a vendor is only a few dollars cheaper than the 15-pack on Amazon. As others have said, if you find the scent too much, just let a few sticks air out for a few weeks and you're in business. I like the scent of several other soaps better, and I'm never tempted to skip the balm after an Arko shave, but nothing really performs better.

If you like Arko, the case is the way to go. Trying it with one stick is pricey compared to the cost per stick of the case but it lasts a good while, so it's not a complete ripoff.

Arko is greatness itself. It will make you believe in God.

:lol: In the case of Arko that would be Allah right?

When you like citronella-like scents you will be fine. I always buy Arko by the box and if I had to pick one soap for the rest of my life on a deserted island this one makes a real good chance.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I love it for travel. I found a vintage Williams shave stick metal container that I keep it in. Smear it on your face liberally and you have enough lather for a 3 pass shave plus touch up. The smell is not so bad and it does fade over time.

Top Bottom