What's new

Arko shave stick

Couple thoughts on Arko sticks.

My theory is that there have to be two production lines or even different factories producing these.
How else can you explain the difference in opinion regarding the scent. It's not like some people say: "oh I smell lavender" and others say: "no, I pick up a fern scent". It's either soap or urinal puck. I have 2 sticks (mind you they're both airing out in the garage), each from 2 different B&B members and one smelled God awful when I opened it. The second, while still pretty strong, did not possess the aroma of a pink disc a tavern restroom.

I'll report back after using them, I figure one has 3-4 months left and the 2nd should be ready in a couple weeks.

Could be two factories or it could be a quality control issue; maybe some days the sticks get more of one scent than another.
Either that or some people like the bug-candle citronella smell a lot.
Age might mellow it - maybe the fragrance in older sticks has diminished a bit?

Good to know. Thank you.

I also like it so much that I often keep a stick in my soapdish for routine hand/face washing. :thumbup1:

+1
Is there something against (components wise) to use it like body soap....easier to take just one product when traveling for instance...

Tam

+1
Is there something against (components wise) to use it like body soap....easier to take just one product when traveling for instance...

Tam

Nothing, except that the bath soap is a bit cheaper; I payed 1.50 (euro) for 4 pieces of 560 gram total.

Could be two factories or it could be a quality control issue; maybe some days the sticks get more of one scent than another.
I'd guess this is likely true.

Another thing to remember with these 'industrial' smelling soaps is that your senses do become more tolerant over time. They probably keep most of their scent, we just stop noticing it. And if its a very good performing soap like Arko, we start to associate that scent with the good performance and start to enjoy it somewhat.

And if its a very good performing soap like Arko, we start to associate that scent with the good performance and start to enjoy it somewhat.

I think it works like that. For me however the scent of Arko reminds me most of the pre WW-II Sunlight soap that my grandma hoarded in such numbers that I inherited several bars in the mid-80's when my grandpa passed away.

It is not identical but close enough to bring back sweet memories of my grandparents so there was never an association with urinal pucks or detergent when using Arko, just with plain soap and nice melancholic thoughts.

I also think that these detergents were designed to smell like the classic clean soaps of the previous era so it might depend a bit on your age/generation whether it smells nice and clean or just plain cheap.

Evyap, the producer of Arko has two factories however only one of them is for producing soaps which includes Arko sticks. In this factory, they have separate production line for Arko shaving stick also. IMHO, that unbalanced scent issue is more likely from aging or different formulation.

Evyap, the producer of Arko has two factories however only one of them is for producing soaps which includes Arko sticks. In this factory, they have separate production line for Arko shaving stick also. IMHO, that unbalanced scent issue is more likely from aging or different formulation.

Thanks for the report directly from Turkey. Is it as popular there as it seems to be with this community?

Thanks for the report directly from Turkey. Is it as popular there as it seems to be with this community?

Thanks. I could easily say it is not popular in Turkey like old school shaving. Turkish Barbers use Arko products generally. FYI I emailed them many many times to change the scent yet they use the old scent. At last I know they will not stop the production of Arko because of you, gents.

I bought a bunch of Arko shave sticks when I lived in Istanbul, for almost nothing. I can see why the scent might not work for some people (my dad hates the stuff), but it gives a great shave and I don't mind the clean scent.

I bet if I smashed a stick into a wooden bowl, stamped it, and put some talc on top to dull the shine, I could tell people it was AoS Lemon and nobody would complain at all.

It would go from "Meh, its okay but the scent needs work" to "Best stuff Evar! OMGWTFBBQ! I'd gladly pay 20 bucks a puck for this"

I also think that these detergents were designed to smell like the classic clean soaps of the previous era so it might depend a bit on your age/generation whether it smells nice and clean or just plain cheap.

It smells nice and clean :laugh: Using it now, almost forgot how good it is :thumbup1:

Another thing to remember with these 'industrial' smelling soaps is that your senses do become more tolerant over time. They probably keep most of their scent, we just stop noticing it. And if its a very good performing soap like Arko, we start to associate that scent with the good performance and start to enjoy it somewhat.

That could be it. I can remember when I first had ARKO, my entire study smelled after it. Now I do not notice it...

For those of you that leave it out to diminish the scent, do you leave the stick open? That is, do you take the wrapper off?

I think the smell of Arko is a little bit like Williams, I have both but have yet to try them. I need to remedy this very soon!

For those of you that leave it out to diminish the scent, do you leave the stick open? That is, do you take the wrapper off?

I think the smell of Arko is a little bit like Williams, I have both but have yet to try them. I need to remedy this very soon!

I did leave the pack open. Now they do not smell anymore. Really have to put my nose on a stick to smell something. Williams is good soap too, but ARKO lathers even faster...

I bet if I smashed a stick into a wooden bowl, stamped it, and put some talc on top to dull the shine, I could tell people it was AoS Lemon and nobody would complain at all.

It would go from "Meh, its okay but the scent needs work" to "Best stuff Evar! OMGWTFBBQ! I'd gladly pay 20 bucks a puck for this"

That puts it into perspective. :lol:

Arko is a nice, cheap and easy to lather soap. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom