What's new

Are these the same as Personna 74s?

I use vintage blades exclusively. Because they're just better in every way. Longer lasting, smoother and closer shaving. But I wouldn't be using them if it wasn't for the fact that I'm in forced early retirement and have made it a project of mine to acquire them at cost per shave prices that are at least equal to modern blades, often less. I have quite a few that I use but at the top in smoothness, closeness and comfort are Personna 74s and Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades. The longevity edge goes to the P74s at plus 30 ( that's not where they start to fail but just where my attention span demands a different blade) to 12-14 or so for the Wilkies. Smoothness and comfort wise it's a close call. All my others are equal in performance, to name a few...Gillette Platinum Plus and Spoilers, Schick Plus Platinum, Super Stainless and Deluxe with Krona Edge ( carbons, well kept, delightful carbons ) Personna Super Stainless both made in Great Britain and U.S.A. models.

Last edited:
Well said, @Mouser - I shaved with all of the above apart from LBs and concur.
I am currently getting fantastic shaves with the Personna Super Platinum Chrome blades, the last of the P74 family line.

Well said, @Mouser - I shaved with all of the above apart from LBs and concur.
I am currently getting fantastic shaves with the Personna Super Platinum Chrome blades, the last of the P74 family line.
I currently have a couple of 20 pack dispensers of those Personnas that you were using at the time of your posting. Excellent blades, superior in a word.

I searched the forum to see if this had been addressed, but had no luck.

The back of the package mentions tungsten as part of the blade's makeup.

Does anyone have an idea how these compare to the original 74s?
Same thing? Not at all the same? Somewhere in between?

By the way, these blades belonged to my wife's late father.
They're just part of a nice collection of his shave gear that my mother in law
had set aside and has given to me.
I'll post the whole story in the general forum.
If you still have these blades, I will gladly buy them from you...

Top Bottom