What's new

Are there any fans of the Derby Extra out there...?

just checked even excluding vat = £6 then postage they are still over £8 deliverd so then add your vat its a bit more than I get them off flea bay
Oh well, sorry. They’re a good deal for me as Connaught charge relatively little for international shipping.

I like them, but mine are pretty old. I bought a bunch of them back in 2007, and I think they're fairly sharp and smooth. I've never tried the newer ones, so I can't compare, but mine are really nice blades.

I like them, but mine are pretty old. I bought a bunch of them back in 2007, and I think they're fairly sharp and smooth. I've never tried the newer ones, so I can't compare, but mine are really nice blades.
Are the ones in the newer blue tucks different from the old green ones then?

Derby Extra blades are not even close to being sharp enough for my beard. However, my beard is coarser than most. For those who are still young with little more than "peach fuzz", or those who have finer or less dense beards, Derby Extra may be the perfect blade. As you age, beard hair normally becomes coarser. I doubt you will find many folks with grey or white beards who still enjoy using Derby Extra blades., but I am sure there are a few.

What about durability of this blade? I used mine for the fourth shave today, am I stretching it too much?

Blade life might even be more of a YMMV thing than blade preferences. Many people use blades for 3-4 shaves, some use blades for several months. Do not worry about the life others get with their blades. Continue to use a blade until it either becomes too dull for your beard you feel it tugging or too harsh for your skin and you get irritation. Blades are inexpensive, so there is little financial incentive to use blades beyond what is comfortable for you. Even if you get only 3-4 shaves per blade, a bulk purchase of 100 blades will last you a year. Those that join the Excaliber club to see if they can use a blade for 100 shaves are doing it to prove they can, not because it if financially lucrative.

I have not used a Derby blade in a long time.
Last time I think was a year ago in a Yuma razor.
The shave was ok but I do prefer sharper blades.

No. Absolutely: NO!

Extras: dull as hell, a pencil sharpener does a better job
Premium: they are ok-ish, but last only for one or two shaves max. (I think even the Gillette-Wikinsons from India work better)
Usta: ordered twice, never recieved any blades

For me, these blades are out. I more and more reach for Feathers, despite the price.

Derby's were my first 100 blade purchase 10+ years ago. However, as my technique improved, I quickly realized Derbys were a mistake. I must have given away 60-70 of those Derbys. There are other inexpensive blades that are smooth, but better performing.

I got a tuck in a sample pack and gave up after three blades. I've since believed it might have been poor technique (been shaving over 50 years but returned to DE only recently) so I popped one in the Blackbird and Game Changer OC. For my money there are better blades. It's a three and done blade.

Top Bottom