What's new

Are there any fans of the Derby Extra out there...?

I'm curious as to how many of you enjoy the humble Derby Extra blade? It's a blade that gets a lot of flak but as if YMMV style was ever in any doubt I'm yet to have a bad shave with one...

I wouldn't buy any more, because there are better blades out there, but the ones that I've used over the years have always performed ok.

Definitely not the sharpest, but they get the job done and are smooth.

I'm kind of in the same boat - I don't seek them out to buy but whenever I throw one in a razor I'm always impressed by the smooth shave :)

Are there any fans of the Derby Extra out there...?
proxy.php
proxy.php

I reach for an Extra about 25% of the time. It's my travel blade and my benchmark blade because I know it better than any other blade. I've never had a bad shave with a Derby.

I'm not sure I can define myself a fan of this blade. I decided to buy a few, just to explore which end of the sharpness spectrum I like better. I'm using it on my Feather ASD2.

My first reaction was: this is not sharp enough. Then, after two passes, the skin was smooth a no signs of any stress. Three times in a row. Every single time I was like: this is not sharp enough, and after that I'm happy with the result and my skin seems to tolerate it very well.

I dislike it so much, that it works perfectly fine for me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Worst blade I've ever used, but it could be the best for your face/beard. That's why lots of choices makes for happy shavers.

I find them a good mid way blade for the money you can regularly find them on fleabay at About £8 for 100 .
You can buy them all day long for £7.20 (£6 ex VAT) from Connaught’s. No need to sully yourself on the ’Bay. :)

I love the way they feel but I don’t get an exceptionally close shave with them.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I love the way they feel but I don’t get an exceptionally close shave with them.

I can have a 10 hour BBS using either my Grande or NEW SC. That is done mostly steep everywhere with increased pressure and I only get 4 good shaves per blade.

I can have a 10 hour BBS using either my Grande or NEW SC. That is done mostly steep everywhere with increased pressure and I only get 4 good shaves per blade.
I must confess, I’ve only ever used them in a Rocket HD500 and maybe a Slim on a low setting. I’ve not tried them with an OC razor or anything that might be considered more efficient. If I could get 4 close shaves out of each blade, while still enjoying the same smoothness, they’d probably be my favourite blade.

Truly a case of YMMV judging by the above comments :) I guess I place a premium on smoothness and I'm prepared to sacrifice a bit of sharpness to achieve that. Having said that, I've been shaving with my 3one6 and a Feather blade for 4 days and it's been super smooth! Go figure...

Decent mid range blade. There are better, there are worse. I bought 100 a couple years ago and periodically pull out a tuck and use them.

Top Bottom