What's new

Are forward controls on a motorcycle dangerous?

All the motorcyclists out there! I am looking at a bike that happens to have forward controls on it but my dad is insisting that I pass because he says forward controls are dangerous because if you have to stop for an emergency that he has personally seen someone crash because they couldn't get their feet down in time to balance the bike because of the riding posture.

I don't have enough experience on a street bike to know any better.

Are forward controls dangerous? Is it hard to swap them out for a mid control?

Thanks for the advice!

Many thousands of people ride without incident for their whole lives using forwards. I have them myself but, I am switching to mids. It also depends on the bike and the size of the rider. Are you talking HD? They are usually easy to switch to mids.
Edit to say switching to mids might conflict with your exhaust and brake setup but those are easy fixes IMO

Many thousands of people ride without incident for their whole lives using forwards. I have them myself but, I am switching to mids. It also depends on the bike and the size of the rider. Are you talking HD? They are usually easy to switch to mids.
Edit to say switching to mids might conflict with your exhaust and brake setup but those are easy fixes IMO
Yes, I'm looking at a 2005 softtail. Maybe height makes a difference too? I'm 5'8", so maybe mids are better for me. I can see how if I had longer legs it would be more comfortable because I could stretch my legs a little more instead of having my knees bent

I am 5’9” been riding since 1960’s. Honda’s Yahama’s, Triumpth’s, and Harley’s.

Last Harley had forward controls I love.

Best advice for NEW RIDER IS TAKE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE.

Two reasons, it might save your life, and might save on insurance.

I have had two time I went down in 50 years +.

Many friend are or are retired Motor Cops. Most say it a reality, if you have not been down, your chance are good you might go down.

Don’t ride in low cut shores, wear gloves, protect eyes with hood safety glasses, and wear bright color to be visible.

I am 5’9” been riding since 1960’s. Honda’s Yahama’s, Triumpth’s, and Harley’s.

Last Harley had forward controls I love.

Best advice for NEW RIDER IS TAKE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE.

Two reasons, it might save your life, and might save on insurance.

I have had two time I went down in 50 years +.

Many friend are or are retired Motor Cops. Most say it a reality, if you have not been down, your chance are good you might go down.

Don’t ride in low cut shores, wear gloves, protect eyes with hood safety glasses, and wear bright color to be visible.

I have ridden dirt bikes and things, but I did enroll in a safety course and will be taking that in August.

I've got fairly long in years and miles riding resume. I don't consider forward controls dangerous. They sure make some bikes more comfortable to ride for taller riders.

2005 Softail? The weak link in the Twin Cam is the cam chain tensioners. The bike has two. There is no rhyme or reason why they sometimes wear quickly. On a new to me 2005, the first thing I would do is pull the cam cover and check the tensioners.

Other than the tensioners, the Twin Cam is pretty bullet proof. I put over 50k miles on my 2000 before swapping out the tensioners for an S&S gear drive. The bike now has over 100k and is still going strong.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't know of anyone who has had issues with forward controls.
Having said that, I don't find them helpful at all personally, and I'm tall and lanky with long legs.
I have mid controls and road pegs. On long hauls, I put my feet on the road pegs.
When in traffic, I put my feet on the side boards.
If I have to shift or break unexpectedly when using the road pegs, it's just a matter of pulling the foot back and doing what has to be done.

What @luvmysuper said. I’m switching to mids on my shovel because I feel you have more control. Only reason I haven’t done it earlier is it requires welding and I’m not good at it so I’d have to get a friend to do it. I’m going to keep my forward pegs for when it’s nice to change positions.

Someone once said, look at how a person’s legs are when they’re riding a horse. They’re not straight out but rather more tucked in.

Anyway, to each their own but if it’s opinions your after I think on that kind of bike with your height you’d be better served with mids. Also taking the course like @DesertIguana mentioned is good advice

I have mids on one of my bikes, I am cramped up riding it using them. I put my feet on the highway pegs as soon as I get moving. I upshift by catching the front of the shifter on the heels of my boot.

What @luvmysuper said. I’m switching to mids on my shovel because I feel you have more control. Only reason I haven’t done it earlier is it requires welding and I’m not good at it so I’d have to get a friend to do it. I’m going to keep my forward pegs for when it’s nice to change positions.

Someone once said, look at how a person’s legs are when they’re riding a horse. They’re not straight out but rather more tucked in.

Anyway, to each their own but if it’s opinions your after I think on that kind of bike with your height you’d be better served with mids. Also taking the course like @DesertIguana mentioned is good advice

I suppose I'm probably putting the cart in front of the horse. I'll take my class and then I will start looking, that way I'll have a better idea of whats best

You’re excited, nothing wrong with that. I would be too. The course is a good idea. You’ll prob be on something small like a Rebel 250 or KLR 250. Something a lot smaller than a TC softail anyway.

I’m of the opinion if you find the right bike at the right price, minor mods shouldn’t stop you from snatching it up but, I’m the guy who’s never happy with his bike and always planning changes so, take that with a grain of salt. Best to go out looking at bikes and seeing what you like. Bring your pops with you. There’s nothing stopping you from getting a bike you’ll love before you’re finished the course.

Good luck! I’m excited for you!
I suppose I'm probably putting the cart in front of the horse. I'll take my class and then I will start looking, that way I'll have a better idea of whats best

Well, I decided to listen to my old man and passed on the Harley for a little more practical starter bike. A coworker of mine was selling an 85 Honda nighthawk and it was cheap enough that I could buy it with cash so I won't have monthly payments and after some time on the road if ridings not for me I can at least get my money back out of it.
IMG_20230629_203322.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, I decided to listen to my old man and passed on the Harley for a little more practical starter bike. A coworker of mine was selling an 85 Honda nighthawk and it was cheap enough that I could buy it with cash so I won't have monthly payments and after some time on the road if ridings not for me I can at least get my money back out of it.View attachment 1678844
That is a fine bike to start. Honda makes some good hardware.

Let's start with the fact that all motorcycles are dangerous.

I say this having tons of bikes over decades. At times I had five at once. Everything from a KLR to a vintage BMW to a Road King and many, many more.

Forward controls change your position/balance and can change your reaction time. Highway pegs even more so. I do like a more neutral riding position, having leaned way forward and way back.

Top Bottom