What's new

Are expensive badger brushes significantly better than Stirling Finest?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
is-anyone-really-sure-ymmv-rumor-meme-480-jpeg.956581

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975-jack-nicholson-laughing.png

I like that! lol

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When I use my Stirling, I feel like I'm basking in luxury. Is there a big difference in feel or performance between my brush and those that cost $200-plus?

Thats pretty much how my 24mm Yaqi Silvertip feels to me.

IMG_2399.jpg IMG_2402.jpg

I personally feel no need for a 'better' badger brush, even though I rarely use it and prefer my synthetic.

It’s a tool used to apply lather to your face. Dont over think it, if it works for you be happy. It is when you want more that life becomes less enjoyable, an endless pit. Be content with what you have...

Ok, so is a $200 brush better than your Stirling Finest. Answer is, it depends on which one. The Declaration Brushworks knots are the very best I've experienced and the very best by a noticeable margin. To me they are definitely better than the Stirling Finest that I own. Are they $160 better, likely not from a value perspective but I get enough enjoyment from my daily shave that I can justify it.

Those of us that buy the very expensive high end knots are doing so for that last ten percent of performance. It's definitely a diminishing returns type of thing. If it's worth it to you or not only you can decide. I can justify it telling myself that I'm buying a brush for $200 but it'll likely last me 10 to 20 years. So I'm paying somewhere between $10 and $20 a year to use a brush that gives me enjoyment daily. The problem is that I own several brushes like this instead of just one which skews my math a bit.

So if you know which one to buy they are definitely better but a $200 brush is not five times better than a $40 brush.

If you're looking for a knot that's higher end that's still an excellent value consider picking up a Manchurian Fan from Elite Shaving for around $60 and install it into the handle of your choice. It's probably a hundred dollar knot that you can get for sixty. Maybe have someone make you a nice custom handle for around $50. Install it with a little silicone so that you can pull it later on if you'd like. That's probably the next decent jump in performance without getting carried away price wise.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you're looking for a knot that's higher end that's still an excellent value consider picking up a Manchurian Fan from Elite Shaving for around $60 and install it into the handle of your choice. It's probably a hundred dollar knot that you can get for sixty. Maybe have someone make you a nice custom handle for around $50. Install it with a little silicone so that you can pull it later on if you'd like. That's probably the next decent jump in performance without getting carried away price wise.

I'm looking for a good knot, and hadn't thought of the Elite Shaving knots at all, so yours was a timely suggestion. Thanks. I'll check these knots out.

Easy man. Take a deep breath and chill... seriously. Your response to my OPINION and SUGGESTION to the OP came off pretty rude there.

Sorry. I certainly didn't mean it to be rude or offensive to you or to anyone.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm looking for a good knot, and hadn't thought of the Elite Shaving knots at all, so yours was a timely suggestion. Thanks. I'll check these knots out.

Some of his handles are the nicest I've ever seen.

This brush has just been listed on my site at www.eliterazor.com. It's a very nice Carribean blue with shimmering gold running through it. It is shown with a 24mm Manchurian White knot, but can be adjusted to accept a 26mm knot.

proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking.

Jim

To me the Elite Manchurian knot feels like a less densely packed version of some of the better Declaration Brushworks knots. I'm pretty fond of them and own two.

As another has mentioned, their handles are very nice as well. They offer some handles made of resin as well as some other unique materials such as higher end stone. Really cool stuff.

You're welcome. What I look for in a brush is really soft bristles, zero scritch and enough backbone to guarantee predictable splay. So a very nice luxurious brush that's not overly scrubby and definitely not floppy. The brush should keep it's shape as you lather with it but still be very luxurious to use. I tend to prefer fans over bulbs as well, but that's just me.

I forgot to mention, but the Sapponificio Varesino knots are very good as well. I think my current preference is as follows:

Elite Razor MW (gel tip heaven, 1 out of 3 was not perfect gel tips...I still love it)
Varlet Alpine White(just slightly better than the Romera, hard to get)
Romera Manchurian (soft tips, good backbone and density, bad customer service...will never purchase another from him)
Shavemac 2-band Silvertip (semi-gel tips, nice density, which give good backbone)
Saponificio Varesino Manchurian (massive knot, semi-gel tips, luxurious handle, could break a toe if dropped)
Paladin 2 band (love the handle, knot is soft and great flow through)
Epsilon 2 band (can be had for <=$60, not sure how this compares to my knot)
Whipped Dog Silvertip (nice gel tips, shedder)
Thater 2-band Funf (soft tips, slight scritch)
Thater 2-band 4125-2 (large knot, scritchier than my funf)
Epsilon 2nd Anniversary (scritchy, high loft so floppy as hell)
Zenith Manchurian (scitchy, light backbone, dense)
TGN Finest (I lofted this too low, so it is scrubby)

I could be forgetting some knots. I like boar brushes. I despise horse brushes. Synthetics work great, but are not my preference.

As noted, Declaration gets good reviews. Rudy Vey's house brand 2-band is supposed to be very good as well.

One of my Elite Razor Brushes
proxy.php

Last edited:
Just to let you all know, I like my 26 mm Stirling Finest so much that I use my more expensive brushes more so that I don't put wear and tear on it.

...Is there a big difference in feel or performance between my brush and those that cost $200-plus?
If you close your eyes for a moment while using them, you will most likely not notice any difference.
But then again, you could do that with most of the things around you, for a moment. Your house can become a palace, your ford can become a Porsche. Harder with some art.
Oh well.

Have you try a Simpson CH2 Synth?

The CH2S is an interesting knot. Simpsons lofts it too low, so the knot feels very sprung when placed against the face. It's most useful when used with paintbrush strokes rather than circles. The tips are very soft, but for the price, I'd probably pick up a Cashmere knotted brush.

In my opinion Sterling has the best pressure. In my humble opinion it is better than Simpsons shaving breast. Anybody who wants to buy manchurian brushes should first try sterlings finest. I do not think people could tell the difference between the hair from Sterling and Simpson's

I agree, if you like it, it's a good brush. I've been pretty disappointed with some spendy brushes.
i have shared the same experience, expensive brushes and I was thinking what’s the big deal about badger. Well until I got my own knots made for me from Europe, never experienced anything like them. They are extra select hair, so only finest hairs go into knot. I pay a bit more for them, but what a difference, can’t even compare to the big names, way better for me

Top Bottom