What's new

Are expensive badger brushes significantly better than Stirling Finest?

I prefer boars over badgers that I have tried. Is it a better boar? Are you offering to pay me $200 for the brush if I don't like it?

I'd rather upscale my 10098.

It's all personal preference. I like boars and badgers, dislike synthetics. You like boars but not the badgers you've tried. Nothing wrong with either.

Get me a B1 knot and I'll gladly pay you $200 for it.

I'm not here to argue with you as I see you've already made up your mind, but if you've never tried one then how do you know?
Funny, you want me to spend $200 to find out I'm right. Ship me a brush and I'll try it. Convince me that its boar-like, and 10X more boar-like than boar, and I'd be willing to spring for the brush.

It's all personal preference. I like boars and badgers, dislike synthetics. You like boars but not the badgers you've tried. Nothing wrong with either.

Agreed. Some people seem to think they know what you like better than yourself. I trust that you don't like synthetics, and don't think that a specific synthetic will totally change your viewpoint on brushes.

Get me a B1 knot and I'll gladly pay you $200 for it.
LOL

The best badger brush I own is a Stirling Finest. I bought it because it received excellent reviews and cost about $40. I've never used an expensive badger like a Kent, Simpson, or Savile Row. When I use my Stirling, I feel like I'm basking in luxury. Is there a big difference in feel or performance between my brush and those that cost $200-plus?

Of the three you listed, you're mostly paying for the name. Saville Row is a shavemac knot fyi and the only one I would recommend out of the bunch.

I personally love my Elite Razor Manchurian White knots and my Varlet knot. The Elite MW have gel tips with a decent amount of backbone, which is my personal preference.

Just don't be the guy that drops hundreds of dollars on a badger with really nice tips and then goes and mashes it into his face or bowl. Those guys kill me every time.

Funny, you want me to spend $200 to find out I'm right. Ship me a brush and I'll try it. Convince me that its boar-like, and 10X more boar-like than boar, and I'd be willing to spring for the brush.

Agreed. Some people seem to think they know what you like better than yourself. I trust that you don't like synthetics, and don't think that a specific synthetic will totally change your viewpoint on brushes.

LOL
If you were to read the title of this thread it doesn't say anything about boar brushes, so why are you here bashing badgers??

The best badger brush I own is a Stirling Finest. I bought it because it received excellent reviews and cost about $40. I've never used an expensive badger like a Kent, Simpson, or Savile Row. When I use my Stirling, I feel like I'm basking in luxury. Is there a big difference in feel or performance between my brush and those that cost $200-plus?

A good question.
My wife bought me a Stirling Finest for Christmas.
It is a very nice brush.
Good backbone and a soft face feel.
It gives good face.

I just ordered a Simpsons Colonel X2L in Best.
This is not an expensive brush, but a smaller brush.
I will let you know.

If you were to read the title of this thread it doesn't say anything about boar brushes, so why are you here bashing badgers??

I didn't bash badgers. I stated an opinion. I don't like badgers. Why do you seem to insist that people will love badgers if they're willing to spend $200.00, regardless of their personal likes.

I have a Stirling Finest badger 26/54mm knot, I’m very happy with the knot and price for the bush.

I don’t spend any more over a hundred dollars for one brush, I’m also very happy with Maseto Extra 2 band finest badger knot, the quality of the knot is perfect and the price for the 26mm or 30mm knot is fantastic.

Spending more than one hundred or two hundred dollars badger brushes is not worth it, it’s to have one high end badger brush in your den.

I wouldnt say so as they all get badger knots from the same suppliers in China, although some would argue that Simpson knots are special because Simpson ties them themselves and they are tied by hand.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
2-23-19.Boker.GroomingDept.Striling.Ivory.640.JPG

I don't exactly know how to answer your question because so much is subjective. I like the Stirling Finest, too, and not just a little bit.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

These Manchurians are more expensive and I like them more.

2-12-19.Torrey.Thater2Band.Kit.640JPG.JPG

This Thater is a lot more expensive and I don't like it as much; that's why I traded it.

If you love your brush, spending more may or may not get you a brush you like better.

upload_2019-2-24_20-30-33.png

While I'm sure some brushes are better than others that doesn't mean a more expensive brush is better nor does it mean you'll be happy with it. However, there's only one way to find out. The good thing is you already have a brush you like a whole lot - a Stirling Finest - and there are a good many brushes in the same price range, by Stirling, Yaqi, Maseto, which you're likely to also enjoy should you decide you want another badger.

Personally, I love the copper handled Zenith Manchurian best of all for its softness and density and scrub, but it's not as soft as the Stirling Finest.

Use what you have unless you don't like it.

Enablers Buy them all for science.jpg

Or, not.

There are really only two choices.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A good question.
My wife bought me a Stirling Finest for Christmas.
It is a very nice brush.
Good backbone and a soft face feel.
It gives good face.

I just ordered a Simpsons Colonel X2L in Best.
This is not an expensive brush, but a smaller brush.
I will let you know.
Thanks. I've heard wonderful things about the Colonel.

I probably have in the neighborhood of 20 badgers including, Shavemacs, Thaters, Simpsons, and most of the others mentioned here, including the Stirling. Each brush varies a bit in softness, scrub, backbone, etc., and which one you like best will largely depend on your personal preferences. If you tried a bunch of them, would you find one you might like better than the Stirling? Maybe. However if you spend five times more thinking that you will get a five times better experience you will be disappointed. The Stirling is an outstanding value and outstanding brush.

Well....... I think what we've discovered in all the years this question has been asked is...... For those that are willing to pay the price they will say yes they are better. For those that can't or won't pay the price will say no they're not better. This will never change.

One thing I do know for sure though is if you were to give everyone who says no a Declaration knot for free their answer would change.

The “I’ve never tried X, but I feel qualified to criticize it” thing has become extremely tiresome here lately.

I've owned the Stirling Finest and gave it away. It was a shredder and not a premium brush by any standard.

Worth $40... maybe.

But a better plan would be to snag a lightly used Thater 2-band from the BST section. You'll have a much better brush and still be well under $100

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Link to a totally different point of view. Mine.

You're pretty much saying that only your point of view about the Stirling is relevant.

I've owned and given away the Stirling Finest, a shredder, not a premium brush by any my standards. Worth $40... maybe. But, according to how I see things, a better plan would be to snag a lightly used Thater 2-band from the BST section. According to me, you'll have a much better brush and still be well under $100

FTFY.

A better plan than what? You seem to be saying that it would be a good idea for the OP and those of us who like the Stirling Finest brush we own to cease being deluded and buy a Thater 2-band. If that's not what you're saying what are you saying here?

upload_2019-2-25_12-45-53.png

Been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Did not like the Thater 2-band. Do like the Stirling Finest. What you consider a premium brush is up to you, but should we proclaim our preferences superior to those of other gentlemen? Maybe, but I think not often and not in this case.

Is anyone really sure YMMV. Rumor (meme).480.jpeg

I didn't like the Thater 2-band, but that does not make it a bad brush nor does it mean the Stirling Finest is a premium brush.

Mug.Copper.Manchurian.Oud.R41.2018.640.JPG

I really like my Zenith copper handled Manchurian, but that doesn't mean everyone will like it if they should decide to buy one, does it?

I'm really glad you like your brush, but that doesn't mean everybody will agree with you, nor should they, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Link to a totally different point of view. Mine.

You're pretty much saying that only your point of view about the Stirling is relevant.

FTFY.

A better plan than what? You seem to be saying that it would be a good idea for the OP and those of us who like the Stirling Finest brush we own to cease being deluded and buy a Thater 2-band. If that's not what you're saying what are you saying here?

View attachment 956580

Been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Did not like the Thater 2-band. Do like the Stirling Finest. What you consider a premium brush is up to you, but should we proclaim our preferences superior to those of other gentlemen? Maybe, but I think not often and not in this case.

View attachment 956581

I didn't like the Thater 2-band, but that does not make it a bad brush nor does it mean the Stirling Finest is a premium brush.

View attachment 956582

I really like my Zenith copper handled Manchurian, but that doesn't mean everyone will like it if they should decide to buy one, does it?

I'm really glad you like your brush, but that doesn't mean everybody will agree with you, nor should they, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Easy man. Take a deep breath and chill... seriously. Your response to my OPINION and SUGGESTION to the OP came off pretty rude there.

Top Bottom