What's new

Are expensive badger brushes significantly better than Stirling Finest?

The best badger brush I own is a Stirling Finest. I bought it because it received excellent reviews and cost about $40. I've never used an expensive badger like a Kent, Simpson, or Savile Row. When I use my Stirling, I feel like I'm basking in luxury. Is there a big difference in feel or performance between my brush and those that cost $200-plus?

I have many badgers and the Stirling 26mm finest remains one of my very best. It’s like a huge wall of badger fur up against the face. Good balance of softness, density and backbone without being a lather hog. Mine is not a shedder. Great value which is typical of all Stirling products.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have tried a few in my time and I agree
If the Stirling feels Amazing for you ,Then She is priceless :)

That is such a debatable topic and you will get tons of opinions. Here is the truth: if your Stirlings Finest gives you a luxurious shave and you like it, nothing else matters. Use it and enjoy the smile it puts on your face.

I agree, if you like it, it's a good brush. I've been pretty disappointed with some spendy brushes.

There are two parts to every brush. One is the part that holds the lather and touches your face. The other is the part your hand holds.

I have two favorite brushes. Both are great IMHO. One is a Stirling L'l Brudder synthetic. The other is a Rudy Vey top of the line badger with a box elder handle. My current definition of pure perfection... I'd love to have that synthetic brush sitting inside that Rudy Vey turned box elder handle.

The best badger brush I own is a Stirling Finest. I bought it because it received excellent reviews and cost about $40. I've never used an expensive badger like a Kent, Simpson, or Savile Row. When I use my Stirling, I feel like I'm basking in luxury. Is there a big difference in feel or performance between my brush and those that cost $200-plus?
I've been wondering the same thing. My Stirling finest is also my best badger, and I haven't been interested in any other badgers because it's just so damn good. I can't imagine those very expensive brushes being much better. I'd rather spend my money on razors. But I'm curious to see what others say as well, especially about the declaration brushes.

Significantly? No. Generally better though. My first expensive was a paladin bulb. I was so afraid to mess it up i didnt use it correctly. I was kicking myself thinking my TGN finest was waaaaay better. Frustrated i lathered like i hated it. It shined like no other brush i have.

The way you look at it should be, in my opinion is hair can vary greatly but then again its just badger hair. I dont think you can appreciate a better brush until you have tried a few. The thing with more expensive brushes is they are small batch. Hand picked. Treatments. Etc. Once you think you know what you like, loft, density, handle ergonomics, etc. Then a expensive brush is where its at. Less expensive brushes are usually set at a basic loft, splay, density that the majority will like them.

Only you can decide which is part of the fun. BST for your first so u can still sell at a lower loss if you bought new.

I think everyone should send an empty 26mm brush handle to Declaration for a hand tied knot and experience the best hand tied knots on the market in my humble opinion. You are probably looking at $50.00 for the handle and $149 for the knot for a total of $199. It is the best knot out there. You can compare it to your Stirling's Finest yourself.

I think everyone should send an empty 26mm brush handle to Declaration for a hand tied knot and experience the best hand tied knots on the market in my humble opinion. You are probably looking at $50.00 for the handle and $149 for the knot for a total of $199. It is the best knot out there. You can compare it to your Stirling's Finest yourself.
I'd rather not throw away $200.00. :)

From a pragmatic viewpoint? No...
My $25 Omega boar whips up a truly fine batch of suds as good as or better most brushes I own. That includes some $200+ inventory.
Now looking at the issue from an aestetic side. Yes indeed.
My Paladin and Rudy Vey brushes are far more pleasing to the eye and to the soul than the aforementioned Omega, or any one of a number of less spendy brushes. All depends on your focus of life’s priorities.

Declaration knots resell easy if the person desires and hold their original value well.

I agree, they're definitely worth trying.
I prefer boars over badgers that I have tried. Is it a better boar? Are you offering to pay me $200 for the brush if I don't like it?

I'd rather upscale my 10098.
custom (3).jpg

Well....... I think what we've discovered in all the years this question has been asked is...... For those that are willing to pay the price they will say yes they are better. For those that can't or won't pay the price will say no they're not better. This will never change.

One thing I do know for sure though is if you were to give everyone who says no a Declaration knot for free their answer would change.

Only started lathering in 2018. I was a life long Barbasol user.

First brush was a PAA Atomic Rocket followed by a Semogue 1305, 610, and a Omega 11047 mixed badger and boar.

I prefer the Atomic Rocket and the Omega 11047 best, the 610 second, and the 1305 least.

That is such a debatable topic and you will get tons of opinions. Here is the truth: if your Stirlings Finest gives you a luxurious shave and you like it, nothing else matters. Use it and enjoy the smile it puts on your face.

+1! This^ Your opinion is the only thing that matters!! :a29:

Well....... I think what we've discovered in all the years this question has been asked is...... For those that are willing to pay the price they will say yes they are better. For those that can't or won't pay the price will say no they're not better. This will never change.

One thing I do know for sure though is if you were to give everyone who says no a Declaration knot for free their answer would change.
I seriously doubt that!

I have Simpsons Manchurian's, ShaveMacs, Thater 2 bands and my brush of choice is boar. I just like them. I'd love to have a Declaration knot but I'd suspect after a couple of shaves it would be on the shelf with the rest on my badgers that get used rarely. Use what you enjoy.

Top Bottom