What's new

Are expensive badger brushes significantly better than Stirling Finest?

I can't say I was terribly impressed with the zenith Manchurian.

I'd buy the epsilon 2 band on yourshaving.com if I was looking for non scritchy badger at a reasonable price.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can't say I was terribly impressed with the zenith Manchurian.

upload_2019-3-25_14-15-12.png

I have a Zenith Manchurian disposal service.

We pay for a zenith manchurian less than 200USD

You misunderstood his post, no one said Zenith brushes cost $200. They are suggested as good alternatives to those that do cost $200. I paid $50+shipping for mine.

Softening up nicely after ~30 shaves. Eats through soaps, soft yet scrubby on the face, as dense as a Chubby 2. What's there not to like?

Shave #23 complete.

I'm noticing this Zenith Manchurian brush is really getting soft and with spectacular flow-through thanks to FFFMM daily abuse. They say badger brushes don't 'break in' but this one certainly changed after 30 shaves. Tips didn't clump like this when it was new.

TBH I like all brushes I have a Zenith Manchurian, Simpson duke and chubby 2 best, shavemac, Kent, Thater, custom brushes. But when its all said and done a brush is a brush they all do the same thing, but its us that different and what we like so what works for me wont work for you.

What works for you wont work for harry and so on, so as the saying goes if it works for you and blows the mind then you have found your holy grail and that is priceless.....

I didn't bash badgers. I stated an opinion. I don't like badgers. Why do you seem to insist that people will love badgers if they're willing to spend $200.00, regardless of their personal likes.

Then why participate in this thread, when the question was specifically about badger brushes???

Ok, so is a $200 brush better than your Stirling Finest. Answer is, it depends on which one. The Declaration Brushworks knots are the very best I've experienced and the very best by a noticeable margin. To me they are definitely better than the Stirling Finest that I own. Are they $160 better, likely not from a value perspective but I get enough enjoyment from my daily shave that I can justify it.

Those of us that buy the very expensive high end knots are doing so for that last ten percent of performance. It's definitely a diminishing returns type of thing. If it's worth it to you or not only you can decide. I can justify it telling myself that I'm buying a brush for $200 but it'll likely last me 10 to 20 years. So I'm paying somewhere between $10 and $20 a year to use a brush that gives me enjoyment daily. The problem is that I own several brushes like this instead of just one which skews my math a bit.

So if you know which one to buy they are definitely better but a $200 brush is not five times better than a $40 brush.

If you're looking for a knot that's higher end that's still an excellent value consider picking up a Manchurian Fan from Elite Shaving for around $60 and install it into the handle of your choice. It's probably a hundred dollar knot that you can get for sixty. Maybe have someone make you a nice custom handle for around $50. Install it with a little silicone so that you can pull it later on if you'd like. That's probably the next decent jump in performance without getting carried away price wise.

This is very smart advice!!!

In general are $200 brushes better? YES! Are all $200 brushes better? NO! And are they worth it? IT DEPENDS!

As with any hobby it is all about diminishing returns. As I've learned in any hobby, first I need to ask am I the type of person or committed enough to it that I will notice any difference? If you are not that person or not invested enough to learn or experience a difference then the best value will be in the cheaper range. I didn't say the cheapest. But when buying more expensive items you have the opportunity to chase something more special, more premium feeling. What will absolutely annoy you is even some expensive options won't be special. I love Declaration, Paladin, Black Eagle, Shavemac, and Morris & Forndran for example. Most of the Declaration I find a "special" attribute and can justify their price, so I find value. I will say the same with Black Eagle and currently they are more affordable than Declaration. Some Paladin shapes (for me Moe, PK-47, adn WC-XL) and knots (E5, D4, D5) are special, but some are pretty average. It's a mixed bag on value for me. Simpsons are truly nice and I love them. However, they are extremely expensive. They definitely don't win the value argument for me. And M&F, they are nice, above average, they provide a really great experience, but they just lack for me in the special qualities. Again they don't shine in value. I appreciate the differences and like chasing special. And I have bought expensive brushes which disappoint. However, I really enjoy the great expensive brushes I've been able to collect. But if you are someone who values the best balance of price and experience something in the $40-$60 range will knock your socks off. We each have to ask ourselves these questions and experience the journey to answer them for ourselves.

I've hard a cheap Simpson's Grosvenor brush for a few years and saw no reason to change as it gave a good lather and shave. Then I bought a Chubby 3 badger. Not until I tried the cheap brush again did I know what a luxurious lather and shave the Chubby gave. Superb lather face feel and such a pleasure to use. No contest. If you can afford the $200, but it. Better one fantastic brush than a dozen cheap ones.

This is very smart advice!!!

In general are $200 brushes better? YES! Are all $200 brushes better? NO! And are they worth it? IT DEPENDS!

As with any hobby it is all about diminishing returns. As I've learned in any hobby, first I need to ask am I the type of person or committed enough to it that I will notice any difference? If you are not that person or not invested enough to learn or experience a difference then the best value will be in the cheaper range. I didn't say the cheapest. But when buying more expensive items you have the opportunity to chase something more special, more premium feeling. What will absolutely annoy you is even some expensive options won't be special. I love Declaration, Paladin, Black Eagle, Shavemac, and Morris & Forndran for example. Most of the Declaration I find a "special" attribute and can justify their price, so I find value. I will say the same with Black Eagle and currently they are more affordable than Declaration. Some Paladin shapes (for me Moe, PK-47, adn WC-XL) and knots (E5, D4, D5) are special, but some are pretty average. It's a mixed bag on value for me. Simpsons are truly nice and I love them. However, they are extremely expensive. They definitely don't win the value argument for me. And M&F, they are nice, above average, they provide a really great experience, but they just lack for me in the special qualities. Again they don't shine in value. I appreciate the differences and like chasing special. And I have bought expensive brushes which disappoint. However, I really enjoy the great expensive brushes I've been able to collect. But if you are someone who values the best balance of price and experience something in the $40-$60 range will knock your socks off. We each have to ask ourselves these questions and experience the journey to answer them for ourselves.

And which is the winner for you ? Any good brush that you have enjoyed between 40 - 60 usd ?

Then why participate in this thread, when the question was specifically about badger brushes???
I was starting my opinion on whether it is worth more or not! It depends what you are looking for in a brush! A blanket answer that "yes it is" is stupid without knowing what the OP is wanting in a brush. Is there a big difference, yes, is it one the OP wants? Don't know.

And which is the winner for you ? Any good brush that you have enjoyed between 40 - 60 usd ?

Nope, definitely not the $40-$60 brush for me. Although I've had some expensive brushes that perform worse. I would be in the Declaration camp for the best brushes. And I would place Black Eagle right along side of them.

I agree with the “special attribute” thing. This discussion has made me realize that these special attributes have been determining what I keep lately. All of my Declaration brushes have special attributes, but so does my Maggard mixed knot (which is a keeper). I also agree with pretty much everything Sharp Obsession states as far as brush value goes. I look at it the same way. For instance, I own a few Simpson brushes, but have decided not to buy them new. A used deal is a different story.

One other thing about special for me. Finding something that is so good it "shocks" me will also often times make a brush "special" to me. Finding a $40 brush that punches way above it's weight class will make me hold onto it forever. I have a Maseto shave extra dense brush that does this for me. Is it better than my Declarations, no. Will it ever leave my collection, also no.

I have read the Stirling reviews and multiple times the Stirling brush has been in my cart. Each time I just haven't gone through with my order from Stirling as I wasn't sure about adding the soaps in my cart upon reading others reviews of that specific scent. I enjoy the Stirling soaps, aftershaves, and balms I have.

One other thing I’ve discovered that works for me...

Since there is so much personal preference and trail & error involved when looking for products that I look forward to using every morning, I’ve started buying items that I can resell for the price I paid for them. In some cases, that means buying used to avoid depreciation (i.e. Simpson brushes). In other cases, I can pay full retail price for an item, use it, and, if it’s not working for me, easily sell it for retail price (i.e. Declaration Jefferson brushes). There are still great deals to be had. I just got a great deal on a killer (lightly used) Paladin Lotus 26mm. It was worth every penny of the $115, but I probably would not have paid the $200 retail price for this particular brush. If ever I decide I no longer want it, I’m quite sure I can get my $115 out of it. But, at the moment, it’s not going anywhere.

I guess what I am saying is, you can try some of this high end stuff virtually worry-free if you shop smart. Then, the question of Stirling vs. high end badger can be answered with firsthand experience. Plenty of us here can help guide you into these “safe” purchases. Don’t be afraid to ask, send PMs, etc.

Last edited:
Truth is, once you start wondering about expensive brushes, you eventually end up buying one! That was me, and I bought Chubby3 . Best purchase in shaving I ever bought!

Truth is, once you start wondering about expensive brushes, you eventually end up buying one! That was me, and I bought Chubby3 . Best purchase in shaving I ever bought!
I am still resisting. It is difficult, but the high price helps staying away.

Top Bottom