What's new

Are all Gillette Super Adjustables the same?

The long, black-handled Super Adjustable was manufactured for some 20 years or so.

Did the razor evolve at all during that time? Any modifications made over the years?

Would there be any significant difference between a model from the 1960's and one from the 1980's, either in design or materials?

Just curious. Thanks for any information on this topic.

GV

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've seen the gold one advertised; very nice. The regular does not seem to have changed at all.

GV

There is another change that mr-razor left out. The knurling of the handle changed in '80 and continued with the new pattern until production ceased in '86.

-- John Gehman

I have an 0-2 long handled that is my absolute favorite and best razor (yes, better than slims, fatboys, superspeeds, etc). What years did they make these in gold? Or are the gold supers different than the silvers in some small way that could effect the shave?

I've got a long handle, but i really want a short handle (blackbeatuy)

I find the heads on these shave quite nice.

There is another change that mr-razor left out. The knurling of the handle changed in '80 and continued with the new pattern until production ceased in '86.

-- John Gehman

Correct! There was a parallel line pattern and a diamond back pattern. I don't quite remember which was first and which later.

I have an 0-2 long handled that is my absolute favorite and best razor (yes, better than slims, fatboys, superspeeds, etc). What years did they make these in gold? Or are the gold supers different than the silvers in some small way that could effect the shave?

I believe the Gold Superadjustables were a '69 product only. The gold version has no effect on the shave as the only difference is the gold plate finish.

-- John Gehman

There's a gold one on eBay, going for the very steep price of 69.99. Maybe for a collector, cause my plain one does the job just fine.

The diamond pattern knurling on top, above was the later pattern made from '80~'86. This pattern was also used on Superspeeds of the same years.

The lower picture is of the periodic linear knurling, introduced with the '65~'66 black handled Superspeeds, and carried into production of the Superadjustable in '69, and used until '80.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom