What's new

Aqua Velva - Williams > Combe

proxy.php

Has anyone else added this to their rotation?

I was gifted a bottle of AV by a relative when I first started shaving c.1986, and used it until it ran out. By then I had procured "designer" fragrances and never even looked at another bottle of AV until about 6 months ago. I had been gladly wearing the current North American Aqua Velva from Combe, but I found the Williams version on some obscure Spanish website called Biuky for ~$6 before shipping and ordered some. Took forever and a day to get to me in California, but oh my goodness, as soon as I splashed it on it was like "AHA!!! THAT'S what I remember!". Comes in a sweet glass bottle with reducer, too.

Performance wise they're very similar, but I find the Williams version to be more subtle in aromatic composition than the Combe. They have the same basic aroma profile, they both smell like AV, but to my nose it seems like the Combe has had certain elements "jacked up", perhaps an attempt to be more in line with modern "X-treme!" US tastes. It's also much darker blue in color, almost a little purple. It stained my shaving towel a little once.

Now that I have the Williams I haven't reached for the Combe version one single time. I still wear Combe AV Musk on occasion, but I use the Williams AV at least twice a week. My wife absolutely adores it on me, calls it "The Manly" when I wear it. I love it so much I ordered several big 400ml bottles for backstock.

Anyone else have experience with both versions?

Very nice, I’ll have to order a bottle if I can figure out how.... You might have to talk me through it lol. I wonder how it compares to this:
proxy.php

Or to this which is even older:
proxy.php

proxy.php

The color on the older versions are much more palatable than the current production AV. I have some reservations about using a product that can stain my countertop....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, I’ll have to order a bottle if I can figure out how.... You might have to talk me through it lol. I wonder how it compares to this:
proxy.php

Or to this which is even older:
proxy.php

proxy.php

The color on the older versions are much more palatable than the current production AV. I have some reservations about using a product that can stain my countertop....

Nice!!!

FWIW both PAA and Smallflower carry this version, although they both appear to be out of stock at the moment.

I love Williams Expert Aqua Velva -
I live in Spain, so I can get a 200ml glass bottle from Mercadona supermarket for €3,95

I might not use it every week, but it's permanently in my rotation along with Floïd Vigaroso, Varon Dandy and Agua Brava - IMHO all 4 are Spanish classics

Very nice, I’ll have to order a bottle if I can figure out how.... You might have to talk me through it lol.
:::snip:::

Nice vintage collection there. Only one way to find out if it compares, I'd be interested to hear your take on it. I just picked up some NOS 1980's vintage Tabac aftershave and EdC, and there is definitely a difference between vintage and current stock. When I first put on the vintage my wife had a full on flashback to 1984, dropping off Super-8 reels for developing at the film counter of the Longs Drugs, standing next to the fragrance counter. Current Tabac is missing some faint specific note and doesn't take her to that place, but she still loves it on me.

It's just Biuky.com. Don't expect to get anything from them quickly if you're in the US, all my orders have taken a month or longer to get to me, but they get here. All kinds of stuff you can't readily find stateside for dirt cheap. They have great prices on Floid as well, I picked up three huge 400ml bottles of Vintage Vigoroso for $7.50 apiece, should last me close to forever.

I love Williams Expert Aqua Velva -
I live in Spain, so I can get a 200ml glass bottle from Mercadona supermarket for €3,95

I might not use it every week, but it's permanently in my rotation along with Floïd Vigaroso, Varon Dandy and Agua Brava - IMHO all 4 are Spanish classics

Varon Dandy and Agua Brava are both on my list of splashes to buy. Floid Vigoroso is an absolute gem, I love it so much.

Every once in a while I get a flashing of a memory of sniffing Aqua Velva in the drugstore. The bottle was magical and the scent was dizzying. While I love modern AV Ice Blue and get some of that memory, it's not dead on. I either need to find a bottle from the late 70's/early 80's or try one of these Williams versions.. I'm always seeking those "Ah-ha!" moments.. but maybe it's all in my head..

Interesting from an AV fan. I would buy it just for the glass bottle with the reducer. I have always had a problem getting just the right amount from the current US production in the plastic bottle with the BIG hole in the top.
On the search now for the Williams.

Thx! AV is a classic and a favorite!
Any thoughts on the similarities/differences between vintage Ice Blue and modern Williams? I just haven't been able to bring myself to drop $40-50 on a vintage bottle. Hoping to find one the natural way, at an antique store or yard sale or such.

Any thoughts on the similarities/differences between vintage Ice Blue and modern Williams? I just haven't been able to bring myself to drop $40-50 on a vintage bottle. Hoping to find one the natural way, at an antique store or yard sale or such.

difficult comparison since age alone can cause difference.
the vintage stuff seems more lavender-like, fwiw.
recently i was able to repurchase a nearly full vintage jar on da bay for $17 incl shipping, just luck.

IMG_1663.jpg

difficult comparison since age alone can cause difference.
the vintage stuff seems more lavender-like, fwiw.
recently i was able to repurchase a nearly full vintage jar on da bay for $17 incl shipping, just luck.

View attachment 866455

Yes from Time to time you can find really good deals. The first one I pictured, I Purchased on letgo for $15, about a week ago.

proxy.php

Has anyone else added this to their rotation?

I was gifted a bottle of AV by a relative when I first started shaving c.1986, and used it until it ran out. By then I had procured "designer" fragrances and never even looked at another bottle of AV until about 6 months ago. I had been gladly wearing the current North American Aqua Velva from Combe, but I found the Williams version on some obscure Spanish website called Biuky for ~$6 before shipping and ordered some. Took forever and a day to get to me in California, but oh my goodness, as soon as I splashed it on it was like "AHA!!! THAT'S what I remember!". Comes in a sweet glass bottle with reducer, too.

Performance wise they're very similar, but I find the Williams version to be more subtle in aromatic composition than the Combe. They have the same basic aroma profile, they both smell like AV, but to my nose it seems like the Combe has had certain elements "jacked up", perhaps an attempt to be more in line with modern "X-treme!" US tastes. It's also much darker blue in color, almost a little purple. It stained my shaving towel a little once.

Now that I have the Williams I haven't reached for the Combe version one single time. I still wear Combe AV Musk on occasion, but I use the Williams AV at least twice a week. My wife absolutely adores it on me, calls it "The Manly" when I wear it. I love it so much I ordered several big 400ml bottles for backstock.

Anyone else have experience with both versions?
That looks great. I’ll try to get some. I like AV.

I quite enjoy the European AV that I find in France and The Netherlands . I have been told the North American version is stronger.

Top Bottom