What's new

Aqua Velva - Musk Discussion thread....

Finally stumbled across a bottle and couldn't pass up the $4.99 neo classic. Looking forward to giving it a shot after tomorrow morning's shave.

Finally stumbled across a bottle and couldn't pass up the $4.99 neo classic. Looking forward to giving it a shot after tomorrow morning's shave.
It performed quite well with the expected burn and lack of cooling sensation - this is what a non-mentholated alcohol splash does. On to the much maligned scent. I can't say I'm a fan...yet. The scent is by far the most "old man" of all my aftershaves, but that might be because my grandfather used a musk aftershave and this scent pretty much matches the smell I associate with him. That doesn't necessarily kill the deal for me, but it certainly is going to make me use it less. Second, the staying power of the AV Musk is tremendous. Most splashes hang around on me for about 1-2 hours and then only slightly linger. This stuff was with me easily 4-5 hours and I still catch a faint wiff now as I write this. That also hurts my fandom. The combination of a scent I don't love that lingers for a very long time means that the AV Musk isn't likely to be used regularly, but I used to not like splashes at all, swore I'd only buy two brushes, and fought buying a vintage DE thinking I didn't need one (I now have a couple dozen).

Things change, so six months from now who knows what I'll be thinking.

I love this stuff, I tend to wear it a bunch in the fall and winter. I do not have any in the cabinet right now, I think I am going to have to pick some up the next time I am at the store.

I too like AV Musk. However, I think I overdid it on stocking up and now I have many bottles sitting on the shelf.

That is a good problem to have. The stuff will last forever if you keep it out of sunlight and the packaging is likely to go plastic someday soon so you'll be styling with the glass bottles. :thumbup1:

Yeah, I've got a couple glass bottles and plan to decant to them when the supply runs low.

The wife likes the stuff, so it gets regular use. Before I came to B&B, I never would have looked twice at it. Why buy aftershave that's already spoiled? :lol:

I like the smell and how the A/S makes my face feel, but boy, the scent is very strong. As a face-splash it's almost overhwelming. I think going forward I'll be using it more as a cologne, as the scent has a pretty long hang-time, even on my hands after several washings.. I need to find a milder-smelling splash, because, as I said, I love how it feels on my face/neck area, but the scent seems to take on a life of its own! I don't remember the regular AV being so "present" back when I used to use it. This stuff cuts to the front, I recall the AV blue sort of just hanging out in the background..

-Mason

I love me some A/V Musk but agree that it is very strong. My solution has been to first use witch hazel--either plain alcoholic or thayer's na rose--then before it's dried down, follow up with a small amount of A/V Musk. I get the full aftershave effect with just the right amount of scent.

Sorry to necropost, but I just picked up my first bottle of this stuff ever. I've been walking past a single sad, lonely bottle of AV Musk in my local grocery store for the past 5 years and finally decided it was worth the $3 just to NOT see it in the store any longer.

AV Musk is very good stuff, well worth the change it costs. This thread almost ALMOST makes me wish I'd put it on a while ago, but it is Clubman Special Reserve day :)

Last edited:
I often mix my AV Musk with Jeris Musk. They go very well together, but the AV is great on it's own as well. Someone here once posted something to the effect that you could put the AV Musk in a $50 after shave bottle and no one could tell the difference. It's that good.

I love me some A/V Musk but agree that it is very strong. My solution has been to first use witch hazel--either plain alcoholic or thayer's na rose--then before it's dried down, follow up with a small amount of A/V Musk. I get the full aftershave effect with just the right amount of scent.

Remember that right on the bottle it says, "Aftershave, Cologne." So, I think it is intentionally strong to fulfill the "cologne" part. One should not expect it to dissipate quickly as some A/S's do.
cottontop

Resurrection!

I picked up a bottle of this last night and tried it this morning... amazing AS! Its as good as the original sport... even without menthol. The scent is amazing... and lasts really well.

imcndn

Top Bottom