What's new

Aqua Velva - Musk Discussion thread....

I honestly don't like the smell as much as the smell of the normal Aqua Velva...

I can tolerate it when I take a whiff from the bottle, but when it's on my face, it's just too much.

I like the smell and how the A/S makes my face feel, but boy, the scent is very strong. As a face-splash it's almost overhwelming. I think going forward I'll be using it more as a cologne, as the scent has a pretty long hang-time, even on my hands after several washings.. I need to find a milder-smelling splash, because, as I said, I love how it feels on my face/neck area, but the scent seems to take on a life of its own! I don't remember the regular AV being so "present" back when I used to use it. This stuff cuts to the front, I recall the AV blue sort of just hanging out in the background..

Mason,

Go get thyself a bottle of classic Ice Blue. Your memory serves you well. It is indeed a pretty background scent that fades fast. My ex always used to love the scent right after I put it on, but it is gone in 15 minutes. (Not totally gone, but mostly.)

-Mo

Mason,

Go get thyself a bottle of classic Ice Blue. Your memory serves you well. It is indeed a pretty background scent that fades fast. My ex always used to love the scent right after I put it on, but it is gone in 15 minutes. (Not totally gone, but mostly.)

-Mo

Every time I see it in the store I come closer to pulling the trigger. I could STILL smell the AV Musk on my face when I went to bed last night. That's just crazy. And I didn't use that much!

-Mason

I can't stand the smell of blue AV about 30 seconds after putting it on, but the AV Musk is one of my favorites. Great scent, great performance, and believe it or not I get more compliments when wearing this than anything else I have. Very strong scent for an aftershave - lasts the day for me.

The only place I can find it locally anymore though is Walmart so I picked up two bottles the last time.

Time to Musk Up!

Thanks guys. I never would have thought to try AV Musk. Thanks to this thread and the review, I picked up a bottle a couple of weeks ago and love it. This is truly a great product.

For me this is more cologne than AS. If I do splash it on AS style, I usuallly dilute it with some Thayer's Rose (a poor man's C&S 88!). It leaves my face toned and smooth and smelling great. If I use it sparingly as a cologne, the scent lasts all day.

I'm not crazy about the AV Musk. Right now I'm kind of taking a musk hiatus in general, though, so I'm kind of biased.

If you've tried and liked the AV Musk, may I suggest Barbasol Musk AS? I get it for a dollar here at my local Dollar General, and it's much more subdued. It also has a heavier Bergamot note, which I'm particularly fond of.

I just picked up a bottle of this for kicks the other day. Nice stuff! Oddly enough the regular AV (blue) AS scents lingers longer on my skin than the AV musk.

I honestly don't like the smell as much as the smell of the normal Aqua Velva...

I can tolerate it when I take a whiff from the bottle, but when it's on my face, it's just too much.

I've only worn it once and so far I get the same impression. I've never worn a musk scent before so that could be the problem. I'm hoping to warm up to it.

I just picked up two bottles for $1.49 each in the discount bin at a grocery store in my neighborhood. It's not going out of production, is it?

I just picked up two bottles for $1.49 each in the discount bin at a grocery store in my neighborhood. It's not going out of production, is it?

I don't think so. Most places still have it for the normal price. I think the grocery was just resetting the shaving aisle. I picked some up during a reset, but not for that cheap.

I've been a pretty regular user of Aqua Velva Musk for the last 6 months or so. I do enjoy the smell (as does SWBO). Products that play well with this: Orange Pachulli, Sandalwood, Desert Ironwood, or Leatherneck soap. Another one in the column of affordable, available locally, nice scent, keeps the stink off.

I've been a wetshaver since I started shaving regularly--that must put me at about thirty years now. For some reason, I never used aftershave lotion, although I used ASBs pretty regularly. Since joining B&B, I've had a great time learning about aftershaves. Like lots of the new guys, I tried some high end stuff first. But it's the ordinary aftershaves that I always overlooked that I like now. Aqua Velva has been a fantastic discovery, especially the Musk. I love it, and like 1OldGI says, it works well with other things.

I've only worn it once and so far I get the same impression. I've never worn a musk scent before so that could be the problem. I'm hoping to warm up to it.

Okay I've warmed up to it. I find it heavier than a regular AS, but the bottle does say After Shave/Cologne. I find that I can't be as liberal with it's application as other some others. But my wife likes it, after a cool down period. It'll be a repeat purchase after this bottle is dry.

Nid, what store was that?

I got the first two at the Harris Teeter near University Mall in Chapel Hill. Then, I bought another one at the Harris Teeter up at the end of MLK/Airport Road. The MLK store (I think that the shopping center is called Chapel Hill North) had some other stuff too--I got a bottle of Mennen Skin Bracer for a dollar or so there.

Top Bottom