What's new

April Acquisitions

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I suppose on here this is a small haul, but to those who are less appreciative of the hobby it may look like a lot

Yup. For years, I wouldn't have dreamed of buying three tins at once. It was only last year I decided to stock up, with a view to trying aged tobacco. Every order felt simultaneously justified and excessive. A very odd experience.

My stockpile is now finished, and still just a mere drop in the ocean compared to many on here. It probably wouldn't even last six months for some smokers, but to me it seems gargantuan!

I suppose on here this is a small haul, but to those who are less appreciative of the hobby it may look like a lot
Any haul is a happy haul. Some buy to smoke right away, some buy to stash away. I started pipe smoking when McClelland was great and I read the writing on the wall and stocked deep with what I could get. There was also pending FDA ruling that was set to be set in motion until an administration change on a national level. I'm stocked deep. I have an unknown poundage of cellar pipe weed and a few hundred cigars. I'm set for a while. I only buy something now knowing I want to smoke it right away or that I won't get to it for a few years.

To each their own. We don't judge. We're just hoping you're happy with your purchases and you that it can bring you to the happy bliss that a cigar or pipe can afford to people. :)

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
So not pipe related (per se) but the new ride can take me to the brick and mortar tobacco shops in the area😁! A little more quietly too😎

C40CD8DD-287A-4C87-9236-39944A97A929.jpeg

CDB2EECA-A2D4-4DB9-B3B0-4CF0ED90BF5C.jpeg

The Rigoletto straight pot has landed, and the eBay pics did not do it justice. The stem is a little bit snug within the shank, but that's easier to deal with (given some 1000-grit sandpaper) than too loose.

Perhaps I'll mix up a bit of Half & Half plus Granger tonight for its first smoke. Or maybe the Sir Walter Aromatic that also came today.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The Rigoletto straight pot has landed, and the eBay pics did not do it justice. The stem is a little bit snug within the shank, but that's easier to deal with (given some 1000-grit sandpaper) than too loose.

Perhaps I'll mix up a bit of Half & Half plus Granger tonight for its first smoke. Or maybe the Sir Walter Aromatic that also came today.

Just a polite unwanted tip. DON’T sand that stem or the shank. Once it’s too loose, you can’t put that stock back again and it’s more difficult work to tighten it back up.

A tight stem is always better than a loose one. Always.

Just run some pencil lead over it, and smoke the bejesus out of it. It should loosen up with some exercise.

Just a polite unwanted tip. DON’T sand that stem or the shank. Once it’s too loose, you can’t put that stock back again and it’s more difficult work to tighten it back up.

A tight stem is always better than a loose one. Always.

Just run some pencil lead over it, and smoke the bejesus out of it. It should loosen up with some exercise.
Perhaps a bit of olive oil? It's an acrylic stem, so it wouldn't be as easy to sand as a vulcanite one in any case.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Perhaps a bit of olive oil? It's an acrylic stem, so it wouldn't be as easy to sand as a vulcanite one in any case.
I’d steer clear of organic oils in a wet shank. You can wind up with a skanky pipe, IMO.

Just try the pencil lead. That’s the traditional fix for a tight stem. More importantly, smoke it a bit and let it revive itself before taking further steps.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’d steer clear of organic oils in a wet shank. You can wind up with a skanky pipe, IMO.

Just try the pencil lead. That’s the traditional fix for a tight stem. More importantly, smoke it a bit and let it revive itself before taking further steps.

Good advice. Sanding off material should always be the last resort.

So just rub a lead pencil over the stem bit -- graphite for lubrication?

Just tried the pencil trick here in my office, and it seemed to make no change. Don't get me wrong, the stem fits properly, but I have to exert a little more effort than I think I should need to screw it in. My idea with the sandpaper was not to remove a lot of material, but simply to smooth it somewhat, to reduce friction.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

Agreed. Also, Oils will absorb into the wood and cause it to swell and be tighter.

Another fix I know from a pipe restorer is to rub a bar of unscented soap on the tenon so you have just the thinnest layer on there. Helps a tight stem slip into the mortise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Also, Oils will absorb into the wood and cause it to swell and be tighter.

Another fix I know from a pipe restorer is to rub a bar of unscented soap on the tenon so you have just the thinnest layer on there. Helps a tight stem slip into the mortise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That might work!

Top Bottom