What's new

April Acquisitions

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
954E4F3F-F1F6-4E96-BCB9-A5F4CFE39A05.jpeg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just tried the pencil trick here in my office, and it seemed to make no change. Don't get me wrong, the stem fits properly, but I have to exert a little more effort than I think I should need to screw it in. My idea with the sandpaper was not to remove a lot of material, but simply to smooth it somewhat, to reduce friction.

A traditional stem joint will be easier to remove if you rotate it slightly when pulling. The soap is also ok, provided it is tasteless/odorless. You can also put a couple coats of Paragon (wax) on the stem end, which I know is tasteless. That joint will develop some moisture in use no matter what you apply.

I really would smoke it a few times before making any permanent mechanical changes to the joint.

When I got the pipe home, I unscrewed it and applied a little Dial soap, which is pretty odorless (especially compared to Tabac or Arko!), to the tenon; then wiped it down and reinstalled it. It did seem to go in a more easily. I'll do a few more smokes and then see if it needs a little mild sanding.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Does it command the same prices as McClelland or does it fly under the radar a little?
It’s pretty close. Pipestud has sold a lot of tins of this lately (the majority to his 1st responders) and prices ranged from $45-$75 if I remember correctly. I got 2 tins for $30 from my local BM. He told me he has an older customer who is slowly divesting his pipe tobacco. He has supposedly been buying from this local shop for close to 40yrs. I’m eagerly waiting to see what else shows up.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
My wife never understood the Jeep wave when I had a Wrangler. Of course she also didn’t understand why I gave a little wave to cars/trucks going the opposite direction on a backroad.

I don’t adhere to a hierarchy so much. I wave to CJs, YJs, TJs, JKs, and JLs (basically other Jeep with similar body styling as a wrangler). Attached is a history of the wave.

The new Jeep is my 5th one. It replaced a TJ that I had for 19 yrs (bought new in 2002). It was still good just getting costly on maintenance.

The Jeep Wave - https://www.bushwacker.com/blog/the-jeep-wave

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don’t adhere to a hierarchy so much. I a wave to CJs, YJs, TJs, JKs, and JLs (basically other Jeep with similar body styling as a wrangler). Attached is a history of the wave.

The new Jeep is my 5th one. It replaced a TJ that I had for 19 yrs (bought new in 2002). It was still good just getting costly on maintenance.

The Jeep Wave - https://www.bushwacker.com/blog/the-jeep-wave
I had an 01 TJ that I bought new and drove for 13yrs. Finally sold it after buying a house. Hard to haul full sheets of sheet rock in a Jeep and I had no place to park a trailer. Went back to driving a pickup. I really want to get an old CJ and restore it but they’re hard to find for a good price in decent shape.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I had an 01 TJ that I bought new and drove for 13yrs. Finally sold it after buying a house. Hard to haul full sheets of sheet rock in a Jeep and I had no place to park a trailer. Went back to driving a pickup. I really want to get an old CJ and restore it but they’re hard to find for a good price in decent shape.

This is a true statement. I’d love to have my old CJ5 back. Wish I had never sold that one.

Mrs. Rookie had been bugging me for a Jeep lately as her midlife toy. Yeah, finding a Wrangler in drivable condition that we can afford is proving challenging.

I miss my 98 XJ. It was great when I lived in South Dakota. It fit two people. Two dog boxes, a cooler, two shotguns and kit perfectly. Drive her through snow up higher than the bumper. It was a base model. Crank windows, manual locks.

Sadly she blew a head gasket at 200k miles and I had overheating issues on my 40 mile one way commute in the summer. Sold her to my cousin on the farm. He has a 5 mile commute. He was the first person I know to get her stuck but he could t see the hole that formed in the field after a flood. Said hole could have been used to bury a full sized truck. Luckily it was only butt up and not flipped.

That thing smelled of dead pheasants, wet dogs, South Dakota dirt, pipes and cigars...

I want to get another but don't need a third vehicle right now. Plus finding one not rusted out around here is problematic.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Plus finding one not rusted out around here is problematic.
Up in Michigan there was a guy that would go to Arizona and buy used Jeep’s to sell in Michigan. He would buy them in Arizona only and ship them back by the truck load. Guaranteed no rust.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Oh man. This is now the nicest pipe in the collection.

View attachment 1252539
I have that Harp in its 106 billiard trim. I'm a pot guy, and like yours better.

Positively awful tasting for the first 4-6 bowls ... then it slowly settled down into a very solid smoker. Stick with it if yours does the same.

Many happy puffs with it!

I have that Harp in its 106 billiard trim. I'm a pot guy, and like yours better.

Positively awful tasting for the first 4-6 bowls ... then it slowly settled down into a very solid smoker. Stick with it if yours does the same.

Many happy puffs with it!

This is the second Peterson pipe I’ve bought with that black bowl coating. Both pipes gave off a very bitter flavor on the first smoke. Other than that. A very beautiful pipe with amazing rich color. Also my first experience with that shape. And that Celtic harp on the silver band demands that my next smoke be accompanied by a pint of Guinness!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
This is the second Peterson pipe I’ve bought with that black bowl coating. Both pipes gave off a very bitter flavor on the first smoke. Other than that. A very beautiful pipe with amazing rich color. Also my first experience with that shape. And that Celtic harp on the silver band demands that my next smoke be accompanied by a pint of Guinness!

I have read that the new Peterson bowl coatings are different than in the past. Seems it thicker and a bit sticky. I haven’t had a new Pete in while so don’t have personal experience, but the older coatings seemed to be flavor free.

Top Bottom