What's new

Anything to look for in Italy?

My wife and I are going to Italy in December, and I was wondering if there's anything in particular shaving-wise that I should keep an eye out for.

I'm familiar with Proraso and Omega brushes, so I'm probably going to leave those alone, unless there's some particular Proraso variant I can't get here.

What else is Italy-only that I ought to bring back?

I could suggest Sulf Filo del Rasoio range (made also by Proraso). I especially like the after shave Balsam. There's also an Italian brand that offers Razors & Shavers called Focus. Those products are cheaper when bought locally. But the best is just to go there and investigate by yourself. Enjoy the trip, it's a really nice country!

I would have to imagine Marco will show up sooner or later with some information for you.

Enjoy the trip and would picking up some Proraso while you're there not work out cheaper than getting it in the US?

I'd guess that Santa Maria Novella range might be more readily available and at a more sensible price. If so I'd recommend the pre/post shave cream, the shaving cream and the after shave lotion.

If you're going to Florence you'll be able to buy from the SMN company direct.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I would have to imagine Marco will show up sooner or later with some information for you.

Well, thank you...

I'd guess that Santa Maria Novella range might be more readily available and at a more sensible price. If so I'd recommend the pre/post shave cream, the shaving cream and the after shave lotion.

If you're going to Florence you'll be able to buy from the SMN company direct.

SMN can be EXCLUSIVELY purchased in SMN Authorized Shops. Fortunately, several big cities do have one. Of course you can find an Authorized Shop in both Florence and Rome. Prices are, obviously, lower here: the Crema da Barba costs € 25, which I think is reasonable and much less than what you pay in the USA. But also keep in mind that Santa Maria Novella is NOT Proraso. I mean SMN is a top shelf brand and aftershaves and colognes are expensive here too, with prices around € 45/50 for an aftershave and prices around € 70 for a cologne.

Definitely SMN.

Cella, if you can find it.

P.160, same as above.

Blue Floid

Acca Kappa

Prep!

Yep, correct answer Joe. But please note that P.160 is almost impossible to find, because out of production since the end of 2009.

Thank you, Jim. Also mate, give a look at my thread here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154961

Last edited:
What I've learned in my short time here is that if there is a question about Italian shave products, you show up with really useful information.

+1. I keep a file for his posts on Italian shave products so I have it handy when I go there! :001_smile

EDIT: Is Figaro shaving cream easy to find in supermarkets, drugstores, pharmacies...?

Sorry for my late response, but I wasn't notified about your edit. The answer would have been: Figaro is common, but not as much as Proraso, thus is a matter of luck. Supermarkets and drugstores usually carry Proraso plus another brand of shaving soap, which differs from place to place.

Yesterday I passed by G. Lorenzi in Via Montenapoleone and noticed it sells Floid too. I don't know the price tag there, however.

How did the Milanese shopping go? ^_^

Sorry for my late response, but I wasn't notified about your edit. The answer would have been: Figaro is common, but not as much as Proraso, thus is a matter of luck. Supermarkets and drugstores usually carry Proraso plus another brand of shaving soap, which differs from place to place.

Yesterday I passed by G. Lorenzi in Via Montenapoleone and noticed it sells Floid too. I don't know the price tag there, however.

Great post spremino. Between you and Marco I shall have some great shopping to look forward to on my next trip to Italy.

Ciao.

Hello, spremino! Thanks for all your help!

I got what I wanted the most, which were the Valobra soaps and the pre-shave cream from Proraso!

proxy.php

Thank you again for all your help!

Last edited:
the list is endless ! italia is a shaving paradise...omega brushes with black or silvertip knots....many different creams,soaps,aftershaves,balms,hair tonics,talcum powders,bath bars....don't forget to pick up good italian chocolate and cocoa ,my favorite is cacao due vecchi

Attachments

• $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 172
Top Bottom