What's new

Anyone try Grillo's fresh Pickles?

I don't know what's going on with pickles these days. Maybe it's just my local stores but the past several months I can no longer find the giant jars of dill pickles. And the smaller jars of Dill Spears that I've tried have all been overpriced and seemed mushy without any crunch to them. Really disappointing.

I just got home from Costco and I picked up a tub of Grillo's Pickles (fresh in the cooler section). They are pricey - but OMG are they ever delicious.
1716321481741.png

I might have to hit some produce stands and see if I can find pickling cucumbers and try to make these at home. I've eaten about 1/4 of the tub already since getting them home. Delicious and oh so crunchy!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I might have to hit some produce stands and see if I can find pickling cucumbers and try to make these at home. I've eaten about 1/4 of the tub already since getting them home. Delicious and oh so crunchy!

Go for it! I've done a number of batches of cold brine pickles for the past year or so, and they always turn out great. Cold brine pickles aren't shelf-stable outside of the fridge, but they'll last quite a while when refrigerated. I usually reuse the brine a couple times as well. I don't even bother with pickling cucumbers. Just get regular old slicing cucumbers. I think it's fun to mess around, and add different complimentary vegetables and spice mixtures.

20230901_191448.jpg

I'm not a fan of Grillo's nor any vinegar based dills. I do love Bubbie's kosher dills and Sonoma Brinery's Whole Manhattan style kosher pickles.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't know what's going on with pickles these days. Maybe it's just my local stores but the past several months I can no longer find the giant jars of dill pickles.
The US imports about 75% of its cucumbers. The El Nino weather has had an impact on the crop in Mexico where most of our cucumber imports come from. Estimates are that the reduction in availability is nearing 10 percent of normal.

The US imports about 75% of its cucumbers. The El Nino weather has had an impact on the crop in Mexico where most of our cucumber imports come from. Estimates are that the reduction in availability is nearing 10 percent of normal.
Thanks. That's about what I was wondering/guessing. I went by the local produce stand - it's always a little higher than grocery chains but excellent produce - and pickling cucumbers were $2/lb (I didn't buy any)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks. That's about what I was wondering/guessing. I went by the local produce stand - it's always a little higher than grocery chains but excellent produce - and pickling cucumbers were $2/lb (I didn't buy any)
In the early 2000's, there were massive cucumber crop failures in the US due to mildew.
After that, many farmers gave up on the crop.

Top Bottom