What's new

Anyone Here Using a Bialetti?

I lived in Europe with some Italian guys and they would always share their coffee with me. I came to love it and I really want to make my own. They used a little Bialetti and some brand of pre-ground espresso. If you use one of these moka pots, what coffee do you buy and where do you get it?

I've seen several brands of espresso but I'd like to know what you prefer in the moka.

Thanks for your responses :)

If you are going to buy pre-ground, look for LavAzza or Illy brand. One or the other should be in your local grocery store.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is the product my parents always used.
proxy.php

My son sent me a Christmas package last year that contained this coffee. Very nice, if you can find it.
proxy.php

My Bialetti.

It's Nickel plated brass so won't work on induction, otherwise it would be my favorite moka pot

proxy.php

My fave is a stainless steel Cuisinox Roma which works fantastic on induction. Stone cold to brew in around 3 minutes on my induction plate.

proxy.php

That second one you showed is the one I'm looking to get. Do you like it?
Love it. The other one makes a stronger cup of coffee but leaks at the seal. The one you are looking at is easy to clean (which is important to my wife) and makes a good cup of coffee.

I don't buy any different or special coffee than what I use for any other coffee applications: pour-over, French pree, espresso, Turkish, moka, all use the same bean; usually a City or Full City roast from my local retailer. "Espresso roast" or other dark roasts are too oily - they don't allow for good extraction and pack too tight when finely ground for espresso or moka.

How does coffee made in a Bialetti Moka pot differ from coffee made in a french press, my usually method? I'm not in a position to go all out and buy an espresso machine so I've been thinking of a Bialetti.

They are called a stove top espresso machine in Europe.

Coffee is similar to espresso (rich, robust, with decent crema). I feel they fall short of what an espresso machine can make but not bad.

They are not at all like a french press in taste and consistency of the coffee.

proxy.php

There really are two methods. In one you put boiling water in the cylinder and let it drain through the coffee grounds. This is an example of one.
proxy.php

The coffee flows through the grounds.

The one Mick showed above uses a steam process to make the coffee. That's the method I like better.

linty1

My wallet cries.
This the one I have, received as a christmas gift a few years ago. I drink espresso maybe once in a blue moon, so it doesnt get much use (but works fine, although I will note the gasket doesnt seem to be replaceable, though havent tried). Its a... "Pezetti" brand?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
How does coffee made in a Bialetti Moka pot differ from coffee made in a french press, my usually method? I'm not in a position to go all out and buy an espresso machine so I've been thinking of a Bialetti.
Moka has a 'concentrated' coffee flavor and it's mouth feel is very similar to espresso with thin crema. It's easy to over-cook the grounds by letting it steam too long; take it off the burner just after coffee starts to flow for best results.

I really like moka, it really isn't any more work than French press, and is fantastic for making a limited amount at a time. I like the aluminum moka pots the best: since reaching boiling temp fast is imperative to not over-cooking the grounds, aluminum makes better sense to me than stainless.

There really are two methods. In one you put boiling water in the cylinder and let it drain through the coffee grounds. This is an example of one.
proxy.php

The coffee flows through the grounds.

The one Mick showed above uses a steam process to make the coffee. That's the method I like better.

I used to use the one in the picture when I waited on tables in college. It is essentially just single serving drip coffee. I like the idea of the Moka Pot though. While it may not be espresso like you get from a real machine, it sounds like it uses some steam pressure to make a coffee that is richer than french press. And you can't beat the price.

They're great, I have 3 and use them daily. If you don't have a roaster near by, I definitly recommend the Illy coffee in the tin. I always have a Lavazza or Segafredo vacuum pack in the cupboard just in case. All of these are easily found in UK supermarkets too.

Just a couple of tips...

1.) keep your ground coffee sealed and in the fridge, as a matter of fact, the Illy tin is great for keeping grounds
2.) when loading the canister/holder with coffee, fill it to about 3/4 capacity, and without compacting it in, just level off the coffee grounds... the reason for this is that when the steam starts to infuse with the grounds, they'll swell and expand, so you're giving them room for this to happen. If you compact it or fill it what happens is that the steam will follow the path of least resistance (generally along the side of the canister) and you wont be extracting all the oils and flavour of the coffee. What you're aiming for is a formed hockey puck at the end which is not too wet or dry.
3.) change the gasket every 6-months, and regularly push the safety valve. If there's any mineral build up it can stop it from working properly.
4.) dont use detergent or scrub them on the inside... a rinse and wipe with paper towel is sufficient.

They're great, I have 3 and use them daily. If you don't have a roaster near by, I definitly recommend the Illy coffee in the tin. I always have a Lavazza or Segafredo vacuum pack in the cupboard just in case. All of these are easily found in UK supermarkets too.

Just a couple of tips...

1.) keep your ground coffee sealed and in the fridge, as a matter of fact, the Illy tin is great for keeping grounds
2.) when loading the canister/holder with coffee, fill it to about 3/4 capacity, and without compacting it in, just level off the coffee grounds... the reason for this is that when the steam starts to infuse with the grounds, they'll swell and expand, so you're giving them room for this to happen. If you compact it or fill it what happens is that the steam will follow the path of least resistance (generally along the side of the canister) and you wont be extracting all the oils and flavour of the coffee. What you're aiming for is a formed hockey puck at the end which is not too wet or dry.
3.) change the gasket every 6-months, and regularly push the safety valve. If there's any mineral build up it can stop it from working properly.
4.) dont use detergent or scrub them on the inside... a rinse and wipe with paper towel is sufficient.

Thanks for these very helpful and enabling tips. I think I'm going to have to order mine soon. I'm thinking of the 3 cup version since I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee right now. I figure the 3 cup version will make me a nice single cup of coffee. Am I looking at this correctly?

Thanks for these very helpful and enabling tips. I think I'm going to have to order mine soon. I'm thinking of the 3 cup version since I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee right now. I figure the 3 cup version will make me a nice single cup of coffee. Am I looking at this correctly?

They make a VERY strong cup of coffee (espresso strong).

Plan on half coffee, half milk (if you drink milk in your coffee)

OR

Plan on using espresso cups and you WILL get 3 espresso cups out of a 3 cup maker.

They make a VERY strong cup of coffee (espresso strong).

Plan on half coffee, half milk (if you drink milk in your coffee)

OR

Plan on using espresso cups and you WILL get 3 espresso cups out of a 3 cup maker.

That confirms it for me. The 3 cup size will be just fine. I'll probably drink it the first way you mention with lots of frothed milk. Yum.

Top Bottom