What's new

The Henson & The Moka Pot

Probably every one knows what the Bialetti Moka Pot is. Back in 1933 an engineer designed an espresso maker that everyone could buy and worked flawlessly every time you used it. So now after close to 100 years this simple espresso maker is known all over the world.

I find an incredible similarity to the Henson, simple engineering, repeatable results and a financially sound choice.

Respectfully, was that necessary of a new thread? :001_unsur
I view @SalS's comments as priming a discussion about simple innovative designs that have stood the test of time. Perhaps the post is best suited to another sub forum like "The Barbershop".

I welcome comments like those of the OP, but then again, I find industrial design to be fascinating. In contrast, there are only so many still life photos of a lathered up brush I care to look at.

In fairness to both the OP and Henson, they don't claim to innovate, so much as to apply high manufacturing and QC standards to their processes.

Along with the mocha pot, I'd add the Fender Telecaster. Leo was primarily trying to create an affordable working musician's instrument as much as a game changing product.

... Thom

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
That I doubt but you are entitled to your opinion.
Don't be so sure! There is more for sure.

Let me just suggest Lambda razors. I only have the Ares and not the Athena, but both are very mild yet nevertheless very efficient. They are quite a lot more fun to shave with, too, at least for me.

The very guided design of the Henson is boon or bust. I find it always too limiting. I am in general more into aggressive razors, so I am reading up mostly about the +++ Hensons.

You made me wonder if I should add another espresso machine to my collection, though. 😀

Let me just suggest Lambda razors. I only have the Ares and not the Athena, but both are very mild yet nevertheless very efficient. They are quite a lot more fun to shave with, too, at least for me.

The very guided design of the Henson is boon or bust. I find it always too limiting. I am in general more into aggressive razors, so I am reading up mostly about the +++ Hensons.

You made me wonder if I should add another espresso machine to my collection, though. 😀
I have been shaving probably as long as you have. I am 60 and have an engineering and finance background. I had every safety razor known to man but when I got the Henson within a month a gave away all my razors, soaps and brushes to the building doorman and porter. I have one razor now and switched to Jack Black Beard Lube and have never been happier.

I have a ++ in Blue but might buy a Ti in the same. I am warning you that if you get one you might off your collection.

So back to espresso the classic Moka Pot for $30 in one insane piece of engineering.

R

romsitsa

Probably you know that Henson uses the same principles as Gillette, invented in 1902 and 1929.

Using both, Bialetti's moka pot and Henson. One is a long time classic, but the other probably won't become one, because (in contrast to moka) it just has to much competition.
Though, both are absolutely superb at what they're designed to do.

Although I'm not a Henson fan (my opinion is that there are better choices in that price range or for less), the Henson razors work well for many.
I'm not taking a side in this conversation, but I'll say that I really like my Henson. So I'm wondering what you find to be better choices in that price range or less. I'm not disagreeing with you. Just asking your opinion. (I'll also admit that my razor usage has been limited to fairly inexpensive modern razors and a few vintage razors. I've never had anything high end, but that's kinda the point of this discussion that the OP says that nothing competes with it in this price range.)

While the Bialetti Moka pot can deliver excellent coffee, you can also make terrible coffee with it. Actually most of the people I know that use the Moka, make terrible coffee.
With the Henson instead, it is almost impossible to get a bad shave.
I would compare the Henson to a Bic lighter (which I use for both pipe and cigars) :).

I'm sure that Lambda razors are excellent from all that I have read, but they are also 3x the price of a Henson. Now they might be 3x the razor as well, and I guess the question for the OP then becomes, "What constitutes a 'financially sound choice?'" I guess that an argument can be made that paying 3x the price for a once-in-a-lifetime purchase is "financially sound," but I also see the Henson lasting a long time as well.

Top Bottom