What's new

Anyone had RAD then gone minimalist?

after trying many razors/straights soaps/creams and brush only these were left.
proxy.php

This is very much my aim, particularly as 'minimalism' is an approach to life that I try to adhere to. However, as a relative beginner, I've acquired a fair share of products. Nevertheless I (think) I've settled on:

Razor: Edwin Jagger de89 & Merkur 34c

Shave cream: Proraso green

Aftershave: Alt Innsbruck (winter); Proraso green (summer)

EDT (day wear): D R Harris Windsor

Cologne/EDT (evening): Quorum (winter); D R Harris Arlington (summer)

I still have to choose a preferred bath soap, shampoo & conditioner, & I'm thinking of using D R Harris milk of cucumber and roses as opposed to a separate face wash & moisturiser

I started out minimalist DE shaving years ago.

EJ DE87
Williams mug shaving soap (Barbasol green if rushed)
Wilkinson Sword blades
van der hagen boar brush & bowl
Mennen Skin Bracer or Clubman BR after shave

Then I wandered into this forum by accident looking for a blade source as a result of Wal-Mart not carrying the WS blades anymore. Started reading reviews....first blades, then soaps, creams, brushes. Ordered sample packs of blades. Had to try a cream so I went with Speick. Got a new brush (Semogue 620) too. Realized I was heading down a slippery slope and have curbed my craving for trying, buying, owning, reviewing every darn thing out there. So, it was like I had MRAD (mental RAD) and kicked it before it became a habit.

I have settled on the following as my every day set up. (rotate brushes every other day, blades every 4th, 2 pass shave)

EJ DE87
Williams mug shaving soap with Speick shaving cream for a "super lather". (I'm lovin' this!)
Astra SP & Personna Red blades
van der hagen boar brush & Semogue 620 boar brush
van der hagen bowl
Mennen Skin Bracer or Clubman BR after shave

I may ask for a scuttle for a birthday or Christmas gift. But I am at peace with my shaving routine. DFS or BBS most days.

$IMG_8519.jpg

Last edited:
I own 10 razors. My RAD isn't nearly as bad as some but I haven't even used a few of them. I would like to find my favorite 2 or 3 though. I just don't know if I could bring myself to get rid of some even if I'm not using them.

I would love to be a minimalist. I would like to go down to just using straights, a brand of shaving cream and aftershave but this is not to happen in this lifetime.
I have shelves full of DE blades, soaps and creams. I can easily go 3 years without another purchase and nothing is going to get thrown away! Heck I even go wild on some weeks and just use a cartridge razor and have a small corner with cartridge refills stacked up.

I need help! :)

I'm down to 2 or 3 types of razor and 2 or 3 brands of blade, and I could easily reduce those numbers to 1 if I had to. Soaps and aftershaves are harder; I do like a bit of variety there.

I'm new to wet shaving...just have the one razor...one brush. I'm still sampling blades and I may go for a staight in the future, but otherwise, I'm gonna stay where I'm at. For me, minimalism was the bulk of the reason that I got into wet shaving to begin with.

Top Bottom