What's new

Anyone had RAD then gone minimalist?

I went through RAD . I still have a box full of vintage Gillettes and Gems. I now only use one razor a black handled superspeed that I inherited from my Godfather . I will keep my box full of Gillettes and Gems for spares and to pass on to my son who is now 10 but wants to shave like me when he is ready.
I have about 2000 blades , derby, shark, and astra. When the derbys and sharks run out I will probably only use astras. I will continue to stock up on blades.
I have soaps narrowed down to Cella , Tabac , Palmolive stick , and Vintage Old Spice.

I've been in the game for a little over a year. In that time, I'm tried numerous models and software. Now, I just use a Cobra Classic, a SOC boar brush and some type of lime soap (Stirling, Mike's, QCS), sometimes LaToja and RazoRock lime wax aftershave. I like what I like and feel my current set-up gives me the most performance and enjoyment. I can't imagine there is anything better than a Cobra and SOC.

I have a number of SEs that I need to sell/give away. Soon, soon...

Now that I have the Weber I've been neglecting my other razors, all vintage except for the Jagger. I'll probably keep all of them for any future sons I may have. But in response to this my RAD tempted me into buying injectors, which I've found out I quite like, especially in the blade longevity department.

Dovo Natural Straight Razor
EJ Best Medium Badger Brush
Cella
Williams Mug Soap
TSD Lanolin Soap
Witch Hazel
Afta Balm
Brut
Old Spice

Now that I have the Weber I've been neglecting my other razors, all vintage except for the Jagger. I'll probably keep all of them for any future sons I may have. But in response to this my RAD tempted me into buying injectors, which I've found out I quite like, especially in the blade longevity department.

I find the Weber to be awesome, as well. But then, I wonder what I am missing, and I briefly try my other DEs, then my SEs, then my injectors . . . I just can't settle on one razor!

I never had RAD. I only bought new items when I used others up or sold them. I have one razor, brush, and blade. I like a little software variety, so I keep the soaps down to 3. Here's what I'm working with at the moment:

Razor: iKon Slant...UFO handle is on order.
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Morris & Forndran "Chief"
Soap: QCS Celestial Woods & Iced Key Lime, + planning to buy MdC Fougere
Balm: QCS Unscented

I find the Weber to be awesome, as well. But then, I wonder what I am missing, and I briefly try my other DEs, then my SEs, then my injectors . . . I just can't settle on one razor!

For me it's now basically between the injectors and the Weber. The Weber is nice (and shiny), but the injectors are just so easy to use, shave better than many DE's, and give you better blade consistency (I've never heard of anyone getting a bad Schick injector blade). Plus you don't have to acquire BAD on top of RAD since you only really have two non NOS choices.

Their only real downside is that injectors aren't made anymore and the design of the injector makes it more prone to wear out than a simple 3-piece DE.

The few SE's I have will definitely be getting the boot, with an injector you get all the benefits of a rigid SE blade, but without the big cumbersome head of an actual SE razor.

Lately I've been thinning out my razor collection but I doubt I'll ever get down to just one or two razors. I will be selling two more soon.

I may also trim down my brush collection.

Wife and i had separate bathrooms until a recent consolidation. As such, space is at a premium. So im thinking about something like a self-imposed sabbatical for next year:
- Use what I've already got for software (2 mostly-used tubes of cream and 4.5 sticks Arko)
- plus however much VdH and witch hazel I can get for 20-25 bucks to "stock up" and put in pantry
- pick one brush (have 4) and one coticule (have 2) and one straight (do NOT go there)

See if I can make it through 2014. Prolly give it a go.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have been gifting razors, brushes, mugs, and soaps, but I still have a few to go.
That being said I only use
1 razor (Merkur 37c)
1 brush
1 blade
but I will keep backups
Soaps? I enjoy them. I use 1 til it's done and then use a different one.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Why would anyone want to limit themselves to one razor, one brush, one blade, one soap, one aftershave??? The variety is part of the pleasure. Common sense dictates that you should have a back up razor in case one breaks, a second brush to allow the first one at least 48 hours to dry ... well, guess we can justify anything, can't we?

I have no desire (and no space) to possess a collection like many pictured here. But I also have no desire to have one of each item.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Why would anyone want to limit themselves to one razor, one brush, one blade, one soap, one aftershave??? The variety is part of the pleasure. Common sense dictates that you should have a back up razor in case one breaks, a second brush to allow the first one at least 48 hours to dry ... well, guess we can justify anything, can't we?

I have no desire (and no space) to possess a collection like many pictured here. But I also have no desire to have one of each item.

Yeah... That about covers it for me.

I might turn one of four of my DEs loose. I have more brushes than I need. I might turn some loose at some point. I've got one shavette. I love my straights, all of em. I'm going to PIF two for starter kits eventually. Two strops. Soaps? I've got more than I need again, and plan on not buying anymore till I've run through some or a good portion of what I've got.

I have some overlap, but I also run two set-ups. I've got the house set, and the travel set that lives and gets work at the office. Plus a small emergency kit that lives in the truck for road trips, or short/light trips.

But to each their own, and I begrudge none. I don't ever want to get to one though. I like the bit of diversity I have on the shelf. It's a small and simple luxury that I won't surrender.

I don't typically have RAD. I had it in the beginning but once I found what I liked I calmed down pretty quick. For me razors either work or they don't. SBAD though ... Now that's a never ending story ...

After considerable but by no means exhaustive exploration, and for some time now, I have been shaving with a single:

blade - 7 o'clock super platinum blue
soap and cream - D.R. Harris
pre-shave - Edwin Jagger
glycerin - eko
alum block - osma
witch hazel - Thayer's super hazel with aloe, and
mug - marvy "professional."

So far at least, however, brushes seem to be irreducible below 12 (plus the travel brush, of course), and razors below 4 (4 types, 9 in number);

and aftershaves below 2 (Trumper's extract of limes skin food and Prada balm).

I'm making up for all the lost time when I used a cart and no brush, soap, or aftershave. Now I'm the anti-minimalist when it comes to shaving.

All of us here started it out with just one of each shaving item(s). Then most of us continue with more and more gaining an AD. Variety is certainly the spice of life, and I am enjoying it. :biggrin1:

I did to a degree with straights, bought loads sold loads settled on three blades. However now I have started with DE's..............

I'm still using my one razor (Merkur 34C) that I got a year and a half ago. Works fine. But I am waiting on my Mühle R41 OC in the mail.. Im also shopping for a vintage WW2 Gillette or something that german soldiers may have used as well. With a total of 4 i would be happy forever.

I'm starting to feel that way. I spent my first few months acquiring as much hardware and software as I could. Now that I feel I know what I like i'm getting rid of the excess so that I don't have pent up inventory and I can actually get something I know i'll like when I need it.

Top Bottom