What's new

Anyone feel that they get a better shave with a cart?

Personal hygiene products being taxed is just as wrong as food and medicine being taxed.

21% is the general VAT rate for goods (on top of a 50% income tax, that is!), but taxes on food and medicines are lower (6%).

You don't even want to know how much tax we pay on our cars, houses, and petrol.

I seem to remember enjoying my Mach 3 more, years ago, which Gillette sent to me for free in the mail...

They sent me one too, a disposable, and it's still in the package! I've been meaning to whip that out, partly because I've never used any of the disposable multi-blade cartridges. But I still use a Mach 3 and liked the Mach 3 Turbo. I never took the leap to more than 3 blades.

I have heard from some family of the petrol in the Netherlands! I think it was a VW Golf they were speaking of, something like 3.5 dollars to every dollar I spend, so probably around 150$ to fill my car! Hence, the bicycle!

They sent me one too, a disposable, and it's still in the package! I've been meaning to whip that out, partly because I've never used any of the disposable multi-blade cartridges. But I still use a Mach 3 and liked the Mach 3 Turbo. I never took the leap to more than 3 blades.

WHAT????? If you've never forgotten how to shave with four blades then what will you do when you need to forget how to shave with seven? The future is near. :lol:

I shaved with a cart while traveling last week. I can get a 2 pass BBS with a cart, but I get more irritation than with a DE or straight. I am guessing this is because of amount of blades. For example, DE 4 pass = 4 passes of a blade on my face, cart 2 pass would equal 10 (Schlick hydro) I hate the slimy lubrication strip(YMMV). I can get a 3-4 pass BBS with my DE with no irritation. For me,I will bring either my DE or Feather SS next time I travel. I think it is all a YMMV thing. There is no reason for the purist to bash the cart guys:a30:, or the cart guys to defend the honor of their chosen shaving method:quickdrawWhatever works for you, HAPPY SHAVING:001_smile

I shaved with a cart while traveling last week. I can get a 2 pass BBS with a cart, but I get more irritation than with a DE or straight. I am guessing this is because of amount of blades. For example, DE 4 pass = 4 passes of a blade on my face, cart 2 pass would equal 10 (Schlick hydro) I hate the slimy lubrication strip(YMMV). I can get a 3-4 pass BBS with my DE with no irritation. For me,I will bring either my DE or Feather SS next time I travel. I think it is all a YMMV thing. There is no reason for the purist to bash the cart guys:a30:, or the cart guys to defend the honor of their chosen shaving method:quickdrawWhatever works for you, HAPPY SHAVING:001_smile

I hope nothing I have posted can be taken by cart guys as bashing them. If so accept my apologies, I never intended to target the individual if something was taken as such. I got good shaves with fusion carts. It's the carts I'm bashing for the high dollar business model, not the individuals buying them. I'd just rather spend my money on a nice razor I leave to my son rather than a hunk o' plastic and I understand everyone is different and has different tastes. Happy shaving indeed!

EDIT: Let me just say; if fusion carts were less than a dollar each I'd still be shaving with them. I just chose to spend that money on hard goods that are not deserving of the trash can when I die. If my son doesn't want them he can sell them or bury me with them. :w00t:

Last edited:
That post was not directed at anyone in particular. I don't care for the carts, but sometimes it seems the guys that do get a bit of a negative response from the rest of us. I just didn't want anyone to take my observations as such. We are all very passionate of our choice in tools or products. Just read a Williams or MWF post:lol:

I've gotta say, I've been using my Schick Hydro more and more lately instead of a DE. The "slime" that the razor emits is actually a very good lubricant, combined with the proraso cream I'm using I get a very nice irritation free shave in 1 pass plus touch ups. Added to that is the fact that I've used the same cart for a month now, and it shows no signs of dulling yet. Who knows how long this thing will last me. It's absolutely the best razor (of any type, including DE) that I've ever used. YMMV and all that, but I think Schick might've converted me back to carts, because the only thing I'm after is a great shave and that's what I'm getting.

The lubricating strip works well, but it was just to messy for me, when lifting the razor from my face it left a slime trail. I can see where it would be very useful to the guys that shave with only water.

The lubricating strip works well, but it was just to messy for me, when lifting the razor from my face it left a slime trail. I can see where it would be very useful to the guys that shave with only water.

I can see where it would be messy for most guys shaving at the sink. I shave in the shower so it never bothers me, and I didn't consider the fact that most people don't shave in the shower.

I've gotta say, I've been using my Schick Hydro more and more lately instead of a DE. The "slime" that the razor emits is actually a very good lubricant, combined with the proraso cream I'm using I get a very nice irritation free shave in 1 pass plus touch ups. Added to that is the fact that I've used the same cart for a month now, and it shows no signs of dulling yet. Who knows how long this thing will last me. It's absolutely the best razor (of any type, including DE) that I've ever used. YMMV and all that, but I think Schick might've converted me back to carts, because the only thing I'm after is a great shave and that's what I'm getting.

Pretty much reflects my experience, except for the time being I have the first sentence reversed. After years of cartridge shaving I am giving DE shaving an extended fair trial

The Schick Hydro is a really good shaver, and the per-cartridge cost is a non-factor: in my experimentation with DE blades, buying GSBs in quantities of 25 at a time ($8.85), my per shave cost is very close to my per shave cost for Hydro 3 cartridges (about $8.75 for a four-pack), because I get about six times as many good shaves with each Hydro cartridge as I can get with any single GSB blade. And, although I do not shave in the shower, I always lather up so thoroughly I never have detected any effect, good or bad, from the lubricating dots on the Hydro cartridges. The dilution ratio between what the lube dots release and the lather on my face has to be at least 100:1.

So far, I am enjoying DE shaving, but at this stage, I still am using the Schick Hydro occasionally to clean up left-behind stubble after a DE shave, but never using the DE razor to clean up left-behind stubble after a Schick Hydro shave.

Last edited:
I can with my Schick Hydro 5 and the Gel. BBS every time. No bumps, no fuss. Whether it's as enjoyable as creating a lather with a brush, and using my DE, probably not!!

I just saw this post after I posted my response about the Schick Hydro 5 and I couldn't agree more. I too am seriously working through all my products and selling off my DE's to go back to Cartridge shaving with a gel. It's simple, very effective, quick and easy. It's is an awesome razor and the Hydro 5 gel isn't bad either. This is the one.

either.

I can with my Schick Hydro 5 and the Gel. BBS every time. No bumps, no fuss. Whether it's as enjoyable as creating a lather with a brush, and using my DE, probably not!!

I have never used shaving gel, and never used a Schick Hydro whatever, or the Gillette equivalent.

I may be old fashioned, but I never felt like my "shaving tools" gave me inferior results.

(not true, btw, I have used shaving foam once ... I think it was terrible and messy)

I too am seriously working through all my products and selling off my DE's to go back to Cartridge shaving with a gel. It's simple, very effective, quick and easy. It's is an awesome razor and the Hydro 5 gel isn't bad either.

I used the Hydro 5 for a long time (over a year, maybe two) and then as an experiment bought some Hydro 3 cartridges for it. Both kinds of cartridge fit the same handle. The Hydro 3 shave is every bit as good as the Hydro 5, but the 3 has a slight edge in nimbleness in tight spots. The 3 lacks the "flip trimmer" that the 5 has, but I never used that, anyway, and the 3 cartridges are less expensive.

As for gel, I never have met a gel that I liked. The Kiss My Face Lavender + Shea shaving cream is bi-. That is, it can be used either as an excellent lathering cream with a good brush, or it can be used as a brushless cream by just smearing it on your face (the brushless technique uses up more product more quickly). I cannot imagine any gel that could hold a candle to KMF when applied in the same manner as a gel -- but then I enjoy a brush lather so much I never would use KMF as a brushless cream if I had a brush handy.

Last edited:
I can get a reasonably decent shave with a cart. It wasn't until my return to DE shaving that I understood what BBS was all about though.

I got a free schick hydro in the mail a couple of weeks ago,I used it tonight to try it, I have to say it gave me a incredibly close smooth shave! No irritation used proaso and a badger brush excellent all around on face and head! But carts for these hydro 5s are high and not sure how it would do for a whole week, I will use my merkur tomorrow but nice change occasionally:) to me it's about the soap and brushes and best irritation free shaves.

Hint: There is no Gillette equivalent to the Schick Hydro.

Schick Hydro 5: 5 blades, tilt head, rubber tug strip, lube strip, and extra blade for trimming.
$Schick Hydro 5 .jpg
Gillette Fusion: 5 blades, tilt head, rubber tug strip, lube strip, and extra blade for trimming.
$Fusion.jpg
I just wanted to be honest and set the record straight. These razors both do exist, and they are direct competitors for the exact same market share. Basically the same exact razor concept from 2 different companies.

Top Bottom