What's new

Anyone feel that they get a better shave with a cart?

I feel like I do get a better shave. Perhaps I am missing something? Maybe I'm just not good with a DE but I experience a closer more comfortable shave with a cart razor. Wondered if I was alone in this feeling?

I am fairly new to DE shaving (2 Months), and I find that if I take my time and concentrate on what I am doing then I get a better shave with my DE. However, if I am in a hurry that morning and need a good shave that I had better use a cartridge as my technique is still a work in progress with the DE.

I can get a good shave with a cart. It doesn't last nearly as long as my shaves with a D.E. Razor. I also get a lot of satisfaction from achieving BBS shaves with one hundred year old gillette razors.

If that is what works best for you fine.

I can get as good a shave in a fresh, 1 - 3 day, cart in my Gillette Sensor Excel but after that - DE for me.

In fact rocking it with a Slim on 6 at present and vintage blades I'm not sure if that is even true!

For years I used a cart with the barbasol canned foam and my neck was covered with bumps and redness for half the day.
It is not happening with my current d.e. wet shave routine.
I am paying more attention & face prep is much more a part of my shaving method, I may give the cart or disposable a shot after my current bout of gear acquisition syndrome has subsided.....

Yes, I get a better shave with a cart. I have actually sold all of my DE razors. Taking a chunk out of my lower lip a couple of months ago was the last straw. It was at that moment that I was done with DE's. Not only are carts easier to use, my shaves are closer and more consistent with far fewer nicks and weepers.

I'm still using my creams and brushes though.

Compared to a DE, I do get a better shave with carts typically. With straights I get a much better shave than with carts.

Even as such, I still use my DE and straights exclusively. I enjoy the process etc, and I dint mind a 5 o clock shadow later in the day.

Hopefully my clients don't either...

The term SAS (socially acceptable shave) surely applies to shaving with a cartridge and that is good enough for me. I even shave against the grain on a few areas on my neck without much trouble but I'm not getting, or trying to get, the BBS shave a lot of guys on here are after. But on the plus side, knocking on wood, I haven't had a nick or cut for as long as I can remember.

I'm still building up the nerves, and collecting bandages, to stick a blade in one of the DEs I bought!

For me, "No."

The DE shave is much closer and lasts longer. I've gotten to the point to where a straight razor shave is the closest except for a DE like the R41, but if my technique keeps improving it will eventually get closer and definitely lasts the longest. The straight razor also gives the greatest sense of satisfaction.

If a cart is what gives you the best shave then go for it. I would recommend that you stick with the brush and quality soap/cream just because it's better for your face.

I used to get very decent shaves with a cart, though it took multiple passes to get it. What bugged me was the cost of the carts and the fact that I could only get 3-4 shaves out of one before it started chewing up my face.

I discovered that I get much closer shaves with DE.

As someone else mentioned, it depends on the time (and whether or not my Agent is in the bathroom while I'm shaving). Carts require very little attention and seemed to work just fine for me. I switched to DE due to lower cost blades vs carts. I've held the ADs in check, and it's working out so far.

Another option is that you may be paying more attention to your shaves than you had previously. I imagine it will get better with time, but that is how it works.

I can get a faster shave with fewer cuts or nicks ON MY HEAD ONLY! when using a cartridge; but on my face, a DE razor and blade will give my face a smoother closer shave.
cottontop

If I am in a hurry and only have time for a quick 1 pass shave, then I just grab a cart because if I am in that much of a hurry it means I have other things on my mind and will just cut myself with my old DE. Also, I do get a better shave with 1 pass from a cart than I do from 1 pass with a DE.

If I have time for a multi-pass shave I get far better results from a DE.

I have never been satisfied with carts. One of my biggest problems was that each individual cart was an investment of about $4. So I would try to get about 15-20 shaves out of it. I can't be throwing away a $4 cart every couple of days. So my shaves would range wildly from super-sharp to mega-irritated to 14-pass super-dull. Even straight out of the package, they never seemed to be exactly what I needed.

The big advantages of DE are: 1) you can shop for different blade brands, blade angles, and blade gaps until you find what works for your skin. Carts, on the other hand, are all made exactly the same, by only 1 manufacturer, so what you get is what you get. 2) An individual blade costs less than 20¢, so it's just as affordable for me to use a new blade every single shave if I feel like it. I can push for more shaves or not, and the blade cost is no longer an issue.

I feel like I do get a better shave. Perhaps I am missing something? Maybe I'm just not good with a DE but I experience a closer more comfortable shave with a cart razor. Wondered if I was alone in this feeling?
Until you have shaved with DEs, Injectors, and SEs, you won't know what the Classically idealized (a la B&B) form of shaving represents. There was no such thing as a twin bladed razor when I started to shave. There was no Edge Gel, there were no disposable razors. The electric shavers were still mostly a bad joke. I say that despite the fact that at the beginning, the neckline area was impossible to get done right with the razors available to me before the Gillette Sensor. If I was going out, or for an important interview, I used an electric shaver to get those last few whiskers that would hide from ordinary bladed razors.

I have shaved by feel in the shower with an Injector, as well as my trusty Sensor. I hated the Mach3 and the Fusion; I didn't mind using either the Schick Xtreme 3 or their Hydro 3; their Quattro, however, didn't impress. I can get a very high quality shave in less time, with less effort, using either kind of SE than with any other razor, no matter how many blades, and I can do it over, and over, and over. I recently got 28 shaves from an Injector blade.

Top Bottom