What's new

Anyone feel that they get a better shave with a cart?

I get BBS shaves with no problems with carts, DE, and straights. My beard growth is such that I could easily shave twice a day with either and I do need to shave every day. I mostly use DE blades but I am ok with all three.

I see it this way. Yes, I'll get a smoother shave, a little more consistant, but with the cartridge I get this irritated redness a little while after the shave. So if I suffer through that for the sake of saving maybe 3 minutes, really not worth it.

There's nothing inherently better about one over the other. Unless the blade is dull, you can only get a piece of metal thin and sharp enough until the difference is negligible. Prep is probably more important. It mostly comes down to beard type, skin type and personal preference. I can get a BBS with cart, DE and SE. Have never tried a straight.

I do get a better shave with carts. I used a DE for about 3 months and finally gave up on it when I sliced a piece of a small mole off my neck. Since then I've switched to jack black shaving cream and have gotten some great shaves.

I've been using a Mach 3 for many years, and it's been great...close shaves, and just about idiot-proof to use. Carts are expen$ive, though, even buying by the pallet at Sam's Club.

However...Now that I know what I'm doing (badger brush, good soap, and proper technique/ritual, etc.) I am going to "transition back" to an injector (which was my first wet-shave tool back in the day -- when Indians roamed the land). Picking up a Schick I2 on eBay...can't wait to go back to the future!

I liked my injector, even when I was using [ugh] aerosol foam.

Not sure I will ever do DE...but, hang around here long enough...who knows?

Last edited:
A mere 10 days after reentering the DE world, I find that I can now get as close -- or perhaps even closer -- shaves with a DE as I could with the various multiblade cartridges I've used. But it does take me more time and attention. The cartridge shave was easier, faster, and more consistent. But the DE shave is more thorough and more fun at the cost of greater time and greater risks of nicking myself (though I've been very lucky in only having one or two weepers all week). I do love the idea that I can use fresh blades without thinking about the cost. I like being able to chuck blades every 2-3 shaves, whereas I realized I was stretching out my cartridges past the point of comfort because I hated buying new packs of them. And in the end, it's clear to me that I can still keep my old cartridges for travel, for quickie shaves, and to touch up something that I missed with the DE and have a hard time cutting.

A mere 10 days after reentering the DE world, I find that I can now get as close -- or perhaps even closer -- shaves with a DE as I could with the various multiblade cartridges I've used. But it does take me more time and attention. The cartridge shave was easier, faster, and more consistent. But the DE shave is more thorough and more fun at the cost of greater time and greater risks of nicking myself (though I've been very lucky in only having one or two weepers all week). I do love the idea that I can use fresh blades without thinking about the cost. I like being able to chuck blades every 2-3 shaves, whereas I realized I was stretching out my cartridges past the point of comfort because I hated buying new packs of them. And in the end, it's clear to me that I can still keep my old cartridges for travel, for quickie shaves, and to touch up something that I missed with the DE and have a hard time cutting.

Agreed on all counts, roughly a couple of months into the DE adventure.

I do love the idea that I can use fresh blades without thinking about the cost. I like being able to chuck blades every 2-3 shaves, whereas I realized I was stretching out my cartridges past the point of comfort because I hated buying new packs of them.

This!

I'm one year into DE shaving, and have only recently seen the possibility of true BBS. I've suspected all along that, with a fine lather and a full three-pass shave, I could probably get a consistent BBS shave with my Mach 3. But I haven't even tried one time: since my DE razor arrived in the mail, my cart hasn't touched my face.

If I had to say what the main motivating factor is, I'd have to say I really do feel a JOY in not using such expensive blades. With my Mach 3, I didn't just wait till the blue strip turned white, I waited till the white strip started flaking off, and then I would squeeze one or two more shaves out of it. Why? because they cost so darned much.

So my answer is that I don't CARE if I can get a better shave from a cart. It ain't worth the mental anguish.

Sensor cartridge is black with 2 blades. Sensor Excel is gray with 2 blades and kind of a rubber strip in addition to the lube strip. It's the best of the sensors IMO. Sensor 3 has 3 blades, which is too many...

You know....

I'm gonna have to try one of them thar carts one of these days to see what all the fuss is about

Reviving . If the Wilkinson Bonded had still been available, I'd have to say yes.
Since it's not, then No.
My Feather does a better job overall with all passes.
But there are some carts that come very close.

Wow, nearly 3 years old and still kicking.

My answer to this is simple: Carts are made to be one size fits most, and if you're one of those who fits into "most" then that's awesome. The big appeal to DE shaving and using straights is that it allows you to find the blade/angle/equipment which actually fits YOU and not every other guy. Aside from that, I think it also forces you to slow down and focus on prep and good technique and software, which invariably improves your shave. Everything in the world of shaving operates on the principle of YMMV, so find what works and don't worry about what works for everyone else.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
No. My experience with cart shaving is such that either given the high cost of replacement or my general inattentiveness I would shave with the same cart for an extended period of time. Typically when I'd change cart I'd feel like I had a bad one. Maybe it was sometimes but don't like that scratchy feeling with a blade. Also not paying attention in the shower I would sometimes nick the under side of my nose with the extra trim blade on top of the cart

Carts offer a fast, convenient, "thoughtless" means of shaving that appeals to many (well, most if you look at overall sales), and I will break mine out a couple times a year.

But "better"...no.

I get less irritation & razor burn from a Gillette, Mach3 cartridge than I do from a DE or SE razor, and I've tried a bunch of them. A Oneblade gives me about the same comfort level as a Mach3; one shaves about as close as the other. I use an FHS-10 twice, and use a Mach3 cartridge for a week; so online buying makes blade costs about the same. I switch between the two for variety.

Ron

Carts offer a fast, convenient, "thoughtless" means of shaving that appeals to many (well, most if you look at overall sales), and I will break mine out a couple times a year.

But "better"...no.

This opens the can of worms, "how do you define better?" Is faster better? Easier? Smoother? Closer? Less irritation? Depending on your metric I guess carts could be "better."

Top Bottom