What's new

Anyone Else Notice This About Wolfman Razors?

I own 3 Wolfman, and have all the available handles in SS. I've noticed that if I use a Wolfman handle that wasn't purchased with a particular base plate / top cap, I don't get as smooth or comfortable shave as I do when I use the handle that was purchased with the head. I find this occurs for all 3 of the Wolfman, but I can't explain it. For this reason, I've stopped swapping handles and just use the handle that was shipped with the base plate / top cap.

Has anyone else noticed this as well or have an explanation as to why this occurs?

This hasn’t been my experience with my Wolfman razors. I also have three, and there was a little bit of experimentation to decide on the right handles for me. Only one of them is still on the handle I ordered it with.

Probably some muscle memory coming into play for you.

I found I like the WRH2 for my 0.86 WR1 which originally came with the WRH7 handle. I found I liked the WRH7 handle on my higher gapped 0.94 WR1. 🤷‍♂️

Nope. I ordered a WR1 with a WRH3/7 and a WR2 with a Darwin. I never use them with the handles that were ordered with them.

I only use WR1/Darwin and WR2/WRH3/7.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The most likely answer is that you got used to the default razor handle by the time you replace it.

I think it has nothing to do with Wolfman, but in general with

1. razor head (e.g. if it prefers a shallow/steep angle)
2. grip of the handle (knurling, spirals or nothing grippy at all)
3./4. length and weight of the handle (light is great for shallow angle shaving, heavy better for steep angles, and according to personal preference: I like it long and heavy but grippy.)

If you shave with a heavy, long handle that is hard to hold when wet, try shaving with a razor that requires a shallow angle, that's a PAIN. -> While the very same handle is noticeably better if you have a steep shaving razor and just let mostly gravity pull down the head. I was just thinking about the 90mm stainless steel RazoRock handle. The 100mm Titanium is much easier to hold and use. Heavy handles need good grip to work out nicely.

For instance, the Pineapple handle for Timeless razors looks really good, it also has very good grip, but I find it awkward to hold and it throws me off balance, kinda. I like the heavy Barber Pole handle a lot more.

My favorite handle is the Alpha Shaving Viper: Long, very grippy knurls. I use it as handle for my Wunderbar, and it gives me a better shave the 100mm Titanium handle or the 90mm Stainless Steel handle from RazoRock. The steel handle is a bit shorter, but very heavy and the grip is medium at best with this design, the weight makes its not so great to hold.

The Viper handle has superb knurls, the right length... while I can move the Wunderbar head with the other handles, I can dance with it with the Viper.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have never experienced a Wolfman and probably never shall, but I have an Above the Tie Windsor. It came with an Atlas handle and an R plate. I got the CM and CR plates and a Kronos handle. When I change any one aspect of the set-up, the change seems objectively to be minimal, but until I acclimate, the shaving qualities are quite different. Muscle memory is an extremely sensitive tool, probably one of the most sensitive we use. The change of one element seems to be more dramatic than any shift among my usual blades (Gillette Silver Blue, Israeli Personna, Crystal, and, occasionally, Astra). I believe the phenomenon applies to any razor.

only have a head and used my timeless Ti crown handle
did put a SS on and not sure I like the extra weight ?

reckon preaching to the choir here :)
to me handle weight and grip and length make a huge difference and can make or break the razor in that finishing feel you are after

Interesting observation. i have three Wolfman heads and mix up WR, Triad, UFO, Hempel and a steel tech handle. Each has different weight and balance but all give great shaves. I have swapped caps on WR1s and could not detect any difference.

Top Bottom