What's new

Anyone else make handles in Argentine Lignum Vitae?

That looks great as is! A "V" shaped scraper would give you a crisp cut, I have one (conventional type) that I've used for previous turnings with grooves. I'd bet you can find a pointed insert that fits your tool handle, then you would have both options for the price of a replacement bit.

How does resin turn compared with hard woods? I want to try an acrylic handle, but haven't researched the techniques yet.

After I cut those my afterthought was actually to use a skew chisel sideways to sharpen up the groove. Maybe next time.

I only recently started turning any kind of plastic. All wood and metal in the past. Interestingly for me there was a little learning curve. Didn’t take long but first stab at plastics yielded some immediately recognizable issues. These are my opinions and what works for me, so take with grain of salt and others with more experience certainly know better than I do. But I started like with wood essentially riding the bevel, gouges etc. No. Not the way to go or at least not for me. Had to change tool positioning and where I engaged the blank lower and take the tact of more scrape/scraping-cut. Also, I had to put all true gouges away. Flat tools and they cut much better if ground or positioned for a negative rake. In fact, I think the negative rake was really a big deal to nice cutting, good ribbons of waste, no chattering, and no chipping. Negative rake and flat topped tools really did the trick for me. Speed is obvious and I go by feel. The carbide tipped tools seem to be my go-to tools while turning the plastic handles right now. Do yourself a favor and start with round rods over square blanks to start to get the feel.

After I cut those my afterthought was actually to use a skew chisel sideways to sharpen up the groove. Maybe next time.

I only recently started turning any kind of plastic. All wood and metal in the past. Interestingly for me there was a little learning curve. Didn’t take long but first stab at plastics yielded some immediately recognizable issues. These are my opinions and what works for me, so take with grain of salt and others with more experience certainly know better than I do. But I started like with wood essentially riding the bevel, gouges etc. No. Not the way to go or at least not for me. Had to change tool positioning and where I engaged the blank lower and take the tact of more scrape/scraping-cut. Also, I had to put all true gouges away. Flat tools and they cut much better if ground or positioned for a negative rake. In fact, I think the negative rake was really a big deal to nice cutting, good ribbons of waste, no chattering, and no chipping. Negative rake and flat topped tools really did the trick for me. Speed is obvious and I go by feel. The carbide tipped tools seem to be my go-to tools while turning the plastic handles right now. Do yourself a favor and start with round rods over square blanks to start to get the feel.

Thanks for relating your experiences, I had assumed that fast stock removal with gouges would be iffy, but I'm glad for the confirmation! I was also leery of rounding off, sounds like that's well justified...

Where do you get round turning stock? I've seen more color/pattern variety in square blanks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
yes, it's resin impregnated wood laminate with two, to five color layers. I've had batches that split with prolonged water exposure and others that have been bulletproof in that respect. The green/black pictured here is a winner!
That reminds me of the Michigan State Spartans, and what the Mascot "Sparty" would shave with! Very appealing!

Come up with any new handles lately?

Nope... The weather has gotten a bit too cold up here in the north (despite being mild for late fall) and my plan to move the lathe in to a friend's basement has been put on hold by the COVID spike that's going around currently :(

Even if it was warm enough to keep setting the lathe up out in the driveway, it's dark by 4pm these days, so it would be a weekend only pursuit.

First of the season is here!

A 22mm drilled bocote handle, meant to split the difference between the ergonomics of a Duke and the hand-filling diameter of a Chubby... I think it will be dubbed the "Portly Regent"

P5020017 (2).JPG

The plan is to put a Maggard Silvertip in this handle at about 45mm loft.

...sorry for the extremely short depth of field, the light in my computer area is rather subdued, because one of my lamps is waiting on a replacement LED bulb and image quality falls of noticeably at ISO 1600 with my 1st. gen. OM-D EM5. (ISO 800 f2 1/25)

Last edited:
22mm 2-band and silvertip knots have arrived... now I just need to decide which is getting mounted in this handle. The good news is that either one should be an excellent performer.

Top Bottom