What's new

Anyone else find the REX rough?

The reality is that it is a terrible razor for shaving. It's fantastic to look at, and have a super cool paperweight on the bathroom counter. CNC milled stainless razors are neat, but I actually think a cast brass cap, tumbled for ultimate smoothness, and then nickel plated makes for a smoother shave than the Rex Ambassador. It is just really sticky on the face. No matter how slick a lather you make, it drags like a sumbitch. No one wants to go on a shaving forum and admit to being stupid enough to buy a 400 dollar modern razor when a 20 dollar ebay vintage gillette shaves better, but in the interest of saving others money, I am admitting to it. I bought the Rhodium version, and it is hands down the worst shaver I have, and I have shaved with at least 100 different razors, mostly vintage.
I think that some of these comfort issues have been resolved by the manufacturer. My Rex is a 2023 edition and I use it everyday at settings between 4 and 1. Using a light touch, I get the best shaves of any razor with no issues whatsoever. It isn't a glider on the face but with no pressure, it doesn't grab the skin and bunch up like I have read elsewhere. It shaves me better than my Gillette New Improved (Bostonian), I would never sell my Rex, at least not before I sold my entire razor collection! And, I've used sharp blades and duller makes and the shave result always comes out BBS, unless I cut back on the number of passes.

For me the Ambassador was very rough at first. I put it down and focused on other razors for a month or so, and when I picked it back up it was like a whole new world. I don't know what changed, but no more dragging and VERY little roughness. Now it's a fantastic razor that gives me DFS+ with only a little effort and BBS- with a little more, but it also brings a small amount discomfort if I'm not super careful - it's still a tiny bit rough. It's not my favorite, not even my favorite adjustable, but it's pretty high on my list - top 5 for sure.

I've been exploring blades lately, and I think with the right blade the roughness will be nonexistent. I just haven't circled back around to this razor because I've been getting such god shaves from others and can't put them down. 😝

I got a replacement top cap, which turned out to be slightly better.
I still had to use a diamond plate to level down the top cap's hig spots.
Without a tight fit between the top cap and the base plate the razor will shave rough.
This made a big change in how the razor performed.
I was ready to throw mine away, because I did not want someone else to have the same experience.
I am glad I fixed it, but it is mind boggling that when you complain about something the vendor doesn't seem to understand the issue.

20230828_183811.jpg

Top Bottom