What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Anyone else find the REX rough?

Works for me in every blade and soap configuration. Level 3 for the general shave, 5 for clean up. In the bunker now and really missing it (only brought 2 razors with me: Blackbird OC edges it ever so slightly as my favorite and also had to bring the Progress for my son’s peach fuzz).

Unfortunately, both the Rex Ambassador and Rex Envoy didn’t work out for me. I got 1 good shave out of the Ambassador at setting 3, 2.5 and 2 for last pass. Imo I think the safety bar is more aggressive than people think as it dives at an angle where if any pressure is applied it will scrape rather than glide and cut or irritate you. The key is right blade for sure. What impressed me the most about the Ambassador was that it was extremely efficient and smooth at setting 2 going Against the Grain. The Gamechanger .84Sb is a much better razor than the Envoy imo. YMMV

Did you do your due diligence on the razor before purchasing? I’m asking because if you do a search, I think you’ll find several posts from folks who found the Ambassador to give them razor burn inexplicably. I wanted very badly to like the Rex Ambassador, but just couldn’t get irritation-free shaves out of it, no matter how low the setting. It’s the only razor that’s ever given me razor burn. And I don’t even have sensitive skin. Very puzzling and frustrating, but I had no choice except to sell it on. It’s such a solidly built and aesthetically pleasing razor...I was hoping it would be my go-to, daily shaver, but it was not to be. For some perspective, I‘m a daily shaver and the main razors in my rotation include a Wolfman WR2 1.15, Timeless SS .95, Karve C/D, RR GC84, and Blackbird.

Unfortunately, both the Rex Ambassador and Rex Envoy didn’t work out for me. I got 1 good shave out of the Ambassador at setting 3, 2.5 and 2 for last pass. Imo I think the safety bar is more aggressive than people think as it dives at an angle where if any pressure is applied it will scrape rather than glide and cut or irritate you. The key is right blade for sure. What impressed me the most about the Ambassador was that it was extremely efficient and smooth at setting 2 going Against the Grain.
My Ambassador is currently at my office where I can’t get to it at the moment. If it threads properly, I might try putting my Gibbs top cap on it to see if it is any smoother. No blade posts but I’m sure I could line up the blade without issue as long as it clamps down and give it a go. I trim the blades for my Gibbs instead of hole punching so I already do the same thing basically.

I’ve always suspected the difference between the two razors had to do with the cap. Maybe thickness, the smooth chrome finish and or blade exposure.

I replaced the top caps of all my Parker Variants with the Merkur top caps with amazing results so this experiment might be beneficial.

My Ambassador is currently at my office where I can’t get to it at the moment. If it threads properly, I might try putting my Gibbs top cap on it to see if it is any smoother. No blade posts but I’m sure I could line up the blade without issue as long as it clamps down and give it a go. I trim the blades for my Gibbs instead of hole punching so I already do the same thing basically.

I’ve always suspected the difference between the two razors had to do with the cap. Maybe thickness, the smooth chrome finish and or blade exposure.

I replaced the top caps of all my Parker Variants with the Merkur top caps with amazing results so this experiment might be beneficial.
That sounds like a good experiment. Can’t wait to hear the results. Might be the best of both worlds.

I had the Rex and was the first razor that has gone out the door. It just didn’t work for me. No matter what blade, or soap I left my face on the sink. First time ever after coming back to single edge razor that I had razor burns.
I also had the envoy and it was no better.
The Rex I could not go above 2.5-3, on the face it felt like a Fatboy dialed up to 7-8 with the cutting performance of a 1-2.
It just didn’t work for me.

Greetings from Santa Rosa, CA

BigJ

Ambassador
So from what I'm reading, it's a razor that possibly needs a certain blade, then aligned properly, use a special prep and pre-shave applied before each pass, then use your slickest soap on two day's growth? Phooey and no thanks.
+1! Well stated! Some razors are just too fussy! Sorry! :sob::sob::sob:

It's a razor that IMO is not intended for guys who prefer neutral or less blade exposure. If you like/love blade feel, then there's a chance you'll get along with the Ambassador. As a daily shaver, smoothness is the most important thing to me.

I also have tried two different Ambassadors (a friends w/ a M date code, and one I bought w/ an O3 date code), and both shaved the same. I LOVE the aesthetics and build quality. The handle knurling is the best I'll ever use in all likelihood. But simply too much blade feel for me. If I only shaved once or twice/week, my opinion might change.

Top Bottom