What's new

Anyone currently using the Merkur Futur? What do you think of it?

I have used it on and off over the years. I seem to always go back to my 38c. But the Futur is fun and when used properly its a great adjustable razor. However, I find the head bulky so it can be problematic under the nice area for me.

This razor wins big on looks, scores a bit lower on use and practicality. But I still like it.

If I had to sell all my collection of razors, the Futur is probably the last one I'd get rid of! Always get a great shave with it.

The head is a bit bulky but, as I have a moustache, I don't have to wield it under my nose!

Gareth

My first DE was a Futur. I sold it and later bought another one. I sold that one too. It's a fun razor, but the ergonomics are just terrible and it's a real PiTA to get under my nose with that humongous head.

Earlier this year I got nostalgic about that razor and bought a $12 Chinese knockoff from Amazon that came with a nice leather case. I don't think I could tell the difference between the knockoff and the real thing.

As before, I gave it a few tries and haven't used it since. I do use that leather case though when I travel.

I see we all have the same issues with it. Hard to work with it under the nose.
But it sure if a heck of a beautiful razor to look at.

I have a Chinese Knockoff (Ming Shi), I got for less than $10 delivered. I really, really like it. It is really efficient without having a lot of blade exposure (which I think I like) due to a very large Guard Span. Not sure if there any other really aggressive razors like that? Maybe a Wolfman WR2??

I found on a forum thread that if you "squeeze the head" of the Futur or clones (such that you are pinching the blade gap closed as in picture), you can turn past the stop at a setting of 6 and the markings of 1-6 effectively become 7-12. I find that for second passes and later (after starting with 4 on the first pass), I wish I had a setting a little more aggressive than 6.I haven't tried this trick myself in an actual shave to go past 6, I am still enjoying an Ikon Standard B1 I picked up recently. When I pick the Ming Shi up again, I plan on giving it a try.

I really like the suggestion I saw about increasing the aggressiveness on successive passes. This gives really good results, and a I don't notice the blade exposure detracting from smoothness when the beard has been mostly reduced (as long as my soap is slick).

Attachments

• 2019-10-03 20.02.19.jpg
    2019-10-03 20.02.19.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Well, I just used the Futur for the first time tonight and got a damn fine shave. Even under the nose! Granted, I had it set to the #1 position. I'll see how the week goes with it.

I have had the matte finish Futur for 11 years and purchased the gold finished model in February 2019 to complement to my wife's gold color enhancement of the bathroom. Both finishes are great pieces and I recommend.

I used mine yesterday. I only have 2 razors, my Futur being my first purchase and the RR Game Changer .84 OC as my second. I might just be more used to my Futur but I got a better shave with it against 7 days of coarse growth with a feather blade on its 5th use than I do with the GC OC against 2 days of coarse growth with a feather blade on its 2nd use. I went with setting 3 on pass 1 with the growth and setting 1 for passes 2 and 3 across the growth and against the growth respectively. The thing I love about the Futur is that I get a DFS on my WTG pass aside from trouble spots around my chin and under my jaw. I'm trying to get better with the GC OC but I can't get that DFS in 2 passes, much less BBS in 3.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, I just used the Futur for the first time tonight and got a damn fine shave. Even under the nose! Granted, I had it set to the #1 position. I'll see how the week goes with it.

I have a Futur clone. My only criticism is it's difficult to get close to my nose.

It does shave well. My only suggestion is to log the quality of your shaves when you try the different settings.

Took it for a sin tonight after having let it sit on the shelf for a while (I usually use a '59 Gillette Fatboy).

I had a few days' worth of whiskers and I let the heavy head do the work for me. Nice shave!

My first DE was a Futur. I sold it and later bought another one. I sold that one too. It's a fun razor, but the ergonomics are just terrible and it's a real PiTA to get under my nose with that humongous head.

Earlier this year I got nostalgic about that razor and bought a $12 Chinese knockoff from Amazon that came with a nice leather case. I don't think I could tell the difference between the knockoff and the real thing.

As before, I gave it a few tries and haven't used it since. I do use that leather case though when I travel.
This! I had a Futur which I traded away and then got the Qshave clone. They are pretty much identical. Unfortunately both where way too aggressive for my tastes.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have the Gold version. I love the weight of the razor but it is difficult to shave under the nose. I think that the head is supposed to be made to go under the nose but all shnozzers are different.

I have a Futur clone. My only criticism is it's difficult to get close to my nose.

It does shave well. My only suggestion is to log the quality of your shaves when you try the different settings.

I have raised it one level each week. This past week was at 3. Will try 4 tomorrow morning. That could be too much. We shall see.

I have raised it one level each week. This past week was at 3. Will try 4 tomorrow morning. That could be too much. We shall see.

I leave mine at 2 1/2. I figured out how to get close to my nose. Just turn the razor sideways and move with caution. It doesn't take long.

Top Bottom