What's new

Anybody Here Eat Raw Meat?

The Four Seasons is famous for their steak tartare ($38 for an appetizer). If the raw meat isn't enough for you, it's held together with a raw egg yolk. :tongue_sm

Ha, reminds of that scene in Wall Street where Charlie Sheen and Michael Douglas are at lunch and the steak tartare arrives with a single quail egg yolk perfectly placed on the top.

:biggrin:

I have enjoyed carpaccio on occasion, but it's not something I'll go out of my way for. A really good steak properly seasoned and cooked bleu is more pleasing in texture and of a finer flavour.

It's a matter of taste, I suppose.

Graham

I'm getting hungry for lunch! I'd prefer it at least slightly cooked, though!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM Got me thinking of rare tuna steaks!

No problem with the raw protein here. The Lebanese/Armenian side of my family has been eating kibbe -- raw spiced ground lamb or lamb and beef mixed -- for decades and no one has yet been stricken with illness. My father even managed to convince my then-young mother and her family (Irish with a capital shamrock) to eat the stuff. Though the baked version probably prevails in their hearts, raw kibbe has been a family staple since the first generation hit Ellis Island and likely well before that.

Sashimi, carpaccio, tartare, kibbe...unless it smells funky, go ahead and eat it!

Cut the horns off spank it in the *** and put it on my plate!!!!!!:wink:

I do eat a lot of sushi and sashimi great stuff!!!

Raf

Raw red meat????????? Not only no, but hell no!!!!

And I really don't like sushi, either.

We have opposable thumbs, we can make fire, there's absolutely no excuse for eating anything raw......:confused::confused:

As for chicken.....the picture reminds me of once in the academy when they fed us chicken that was not quite as well done as those pictures....disgusting.

Obviously, the whole raw food experiment was built on a dare....you know, kind of like...I bet Mikey won't eat it..

No problem with the raw protein here. The Lebanese/Armenian side of my family has been eating kibbe -- raw spiced ground lamb or lamb and beef mixed -- for decades and no one has yet been stricken with illness. My father even managed to convince my then-young mother and her family (Irish with a capital shamrock) to eat the stuff. Though the baked version probably prevails in their hearts, raw kibbe has been a family staple since the first generation hit Ellis Island and likely well before that.

I love that stuff. I ate it quite frequently growing up in Colombia. My Lebanese relatives made Kipe (Spanish name) for family reunions. They usually made a big batch of cooked kipe and a smaller of the raw for those of us daring enough to try it.

Sashimi, carpaccio, tartare, kibbe...unless it smells funky, go ahead and eat it!

Crazy! I'm also of Lebanese/Irish* descent...I thought my brother and I were the only ones. :wink: I love it when the Lebanese relatives get together. Sure, they're a hell of a lot of fun to be around, but the food! That being said, I've been around my fair share of kibbe and I liken it (raw version) to :9898:.

Edit: I have to ask...is anyone in your family on the Lebanese side over 5'5" in height? :lol: I'm 5'6" and tower over everyone on my mom's side. :biggrin:

*Bet you couldn't tell with a last name of Lynch. :lol:

Crazy! I'm also of Lebanese/Irish* descent...I thought my brother and I were the only ones. :wink: I love it when the Lebanese relatives get together. Sure, they're a hell of a lot of fun to be around, but the food! That being said, I've been around my fair share of kibbe and I liken it (raw version) to :9898:.

Edit: I have to ask...is anyone in your family on the Lebanese side over 5'5" in height? :lol: I'm 5'6" and tower over everyone on my mom's side. :biggrin:

*Bet you couldn't tell with a last name of Lynch. :lol:

My brother! Finally, someone else who understand the difficulty of riding a camel while balancing a pint glass. Gotta love the Lebby food. Beats Irish cuisine which, as an Irish friend once said to me, is "any old ****e you can throw in a pot." Then again, Guinness goes with everything.

My Dad and all others on the the Lebby side are all about 5'6 or less. My Mom is 5'2 but she's got a larger brother and and a couple of her uncles (from the family of 13) are classic big, burly Irishmen types. Me, I'm six feet and a big dude so my body-shape genes were shippped in direct from County Clare it seems.

Funny thing about the undercover last names: Everyone hears "Nahil" and assumes it's just like "Cahill", which would be Irish part. Nope. That's the Lebanese name and likely an Ellis-Island job, if family lore is to be believed.

Man, this string is making me hungry. Think I need to go visit my aunt next week and load up on kibbe, grape leaves, and real hummous.

Cheers,
Chris

My brother! Finally, someone else who understand the difficulty of riding a camel while balancing a pint glass. Gotta love the Lebby food. Beats Irish cuisine which, as an Irish friend once said to me, is "any old ****e you can throw in a pot." Then again, Guinness goes with everything.

My Dad and all others on the the Lebby side are all about 5'6 or less. My Mom is 5'2 but she's got a larger brother and and a couple of her uncles (from the family of 13) are classic big, burly Irishmen types. Me, I'm six feet and a big dude so my body-shape genes were shippped in direct from County Clare it seems.

Funny thing about the undercover last names: Everyone hears "Nahil" and assumes it's just like "Cahill", which would be Irish part. Nope. That's the Lebanese name and likely an Ellis-Island job, if family lore is to be believed.

Man, this string is making me hungry. Think I need to go visit my aunt next week and load up on kibbe, grape leaves, and real hummous.

Cheers,
Chris

Ha! The look on my wife's face when she sat down to her first Lebanese meal was priceless. "You eat rolled cabbage and grape vines?!?..."

:lol:

I eat raw beef fairly frequently, and on occasion I have raw horse. I also like raw octopus and a variety of other raw sea food.

As far as raw/uncooked beef, cappario is about the only time. I wouldn't eat raw ground meat. I do like my beef steaks rare/medium rare. Lamb and venison medium rare. Pork and chicken cooked done but still juicy. I like sushi, lox, raw oysters.
If you like a good rare/medium steak, get the butcher to cut a New York strip steak about 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick. Cook it about 3 min each side on a very hot grill or in a pan on high heat. Stick it in a hot oven (400) for about 10 min then add a little chicken stock or a little red and white wine and let it rest for 10 more min. Nice and seared on the outside and red and juicy on the inside.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
well I was young and ignorant once . . . and now I'm old and well still learning. I was lucky enough to accompany a coworker and two cousins to theater here in Toronto. Well I'm not really an idiot but we found ourselves at Mövenpick. It is a very nice place but somehow everything seemed strange on the menu . . . but hey . . . I spotted the steak.

So I order after the three ladies . . . steak tartar garcon. . . s'il vous plait . . .

when they brought it over . . . well . . . after the ladies had been served . . . I was a bit unsure . . . looked a bit blue. . . well hell I ordered it so fire in. It was not bad and I think I convinced the coworker to take a bite . . .

Well this was an experience . . . I'll not forget it

When in Japan, I routinely eat the ubiquitous raw fish, ala sushi/sashimi.

But one time they served me up raw HORSE. Yup, as in "giddyup". I didn't find out what it was until after I ate it...

Tasted fine, but I wouldn't order it myself...:redface:

Top Bottom