What's new

Anybody heard of (or know how to make) "Mississippi Mud"?

An older lady at a church I attended years ago made some of this fantastic fudge for a potluck that she called "Mississippi Mud". And man was it good! (Being a southern gal I'm figuring she knew how to make it). Anybody have a good recipe they like to share?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The Mississippi Mud I've had many, many times (usually as Mississippi Mud Pie) was more a pudding or custard than a fudge. It's been a thick, chocolate pudding with whipped cream and caramel on top. It seems like it's always had some nuts in there, too. Is that what you're talking about?

I've never made it, in any case, and don't have a recipe.

An older lady at a church I attended years ago made some of this fantastic fudge for a potluck that she called "Mississippi Mud". And man was it good! (Being a southern gal I'm figuring she knew how to make it). Anybody have a good recipe they like to share?

Hey, So I kinda know what youre talking about, I've never had it, but I have a recipe book that describes how to make this dish. I'll write down the recipe:
It calls for:
  • 2 Sticks Margarine
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1 tsp Vanilla (I'm guessing vanilla extract? The recipe doesn't clarify)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 dash of salt
  • 1 jar of marshmallow cream (again, don't know how big, this book isn't to keen on clarifying things)
  • 1 stick melted margarine
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 box powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1 more tsp vanilla
  • more chopped pecans(??)
Cream Margarine, Sugar and Cocoa: Add eggs and vanilla, mix, add flour, nuts and salt. Beat 2 Minutes. Bake in greased 9" by 13" pan at 350 for 35 minutes. Spread marshmallow cream on hot cake and cool. Melt one stick of margarine and add evaporated milk and vanilla. Stir in powdered sugar and cocoa untul smooth. Spread ontop of marshmallow cream. If desired, sprinkle with more chopped pecans.

Now, I don't know how this will turn out, as I've never really cooked with this book because I don't like the way it lists the ingredients. But this is the only recipe for Mississippi mud I found, so if you decide to give it a try, please let me know how it turned out!

-Daniel

Top Bottom