What's new

Any minimalists here? How far/close are you from that "Desert Island" set-up?

I am...

• Hobbyist

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Veteran

Votes: 42 40.4%
  • Minimalist

Votes: 31 29.8%

• Total voters
AFAICS, there are basically 3 groups of folks here:

1. Hobbyists - those constantly exploring new hardware and software, enjoying the variety and always looking forward to trying out yet another razor, soap, brush, etc...

2. Veterans - folks who have long but acquired everything they need and know for a fact what works for them. These guys might get a new soap or cream every once in a while, but they are set. They have worked out their razor type and blade preferences, shaving rituals, etc, etc.

3. Minimalists - those on a quest of finding that superb piece of gear, that will hopefully be THE ONE, people looking to become a 1-razor 1-brush shavers, with perhaps a handful of soaps/creams.

Me, I'm somewhere between 2. and 3., saying this as I'm sorted out in terms of software and "almost there" in terms of hardware.

So, where do you fit?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Do you have a category for “Hobbyist - and rightfully ashamed” because I’m not a veteran stubble scraper and can’t call myself a minimalist on a quest without giggling.

Just don’t anyone choose the perfect setup and popularize it because I don’t want to see the price of ARKO! shave sticks and Personna PTFE GEM blades skyrocket. Keep up with that YMMV and jive about modern artisans and badgers from the tops of the highest mountains in Changbai.

A veteran I am. Initially there was a flurry of purchases, but it settled down pretty quickly; I'd say within a year. I've been with this forum since 2007.

I've settled into the Artist Club as my main razor, a Merkur slant for the FEW times I have a rushed shave, or for traveling, and I look toward Italy as a supplier of my soaps and aftershaves. I do not hoard or "stock up" on blades, or anything for that matter. If some disaster occurs that affects the the supply of shaving gear, you'll be dealing with more real and immediate problems than getting a good shave, believe me. No bathroom expansions on the horizon, either. Everything I use fits in the cupboards that are there.

I got into wet shaving to get a better shave without shelling out all that money for cartridges, and that goal was reached. Buying soaps, razors, aftershaves, etc., throughout the year is fine, if that's what you want. You're human, and humans almost universally collect "things" and store them, having a bigger supply than they need. But please, don't paint it as some uncontrollable disease. It's a choice.

The best part is this website itself. Plenty of room for a surly, set in my ways codger like myself to visit other topics and areas of interest. This is the ultimate "guy" site, with plenty of room for everybody.

Not a minimalist since I have a dozen razor and a few soaps and brushes.

But for the past 2 years I’ve only shave with my Feather SS shavette and a couple of times with my EJ89.

Synthetic brush and tabac soap haven't change either, so consider myself a veteran who found...not the holy grail...but enough to keep me happy!

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Been thru RAD, SAD, SBAD, you name it. From over 50 soaps, now down to 10. Down to 5 de razors, 2 SE razors, 13 brushes. I've pif'ed and sold too many brushes and razors to recall. I'm so confused I am unable to label myself properly.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I like experimenting with new stuff and I think variety is the spice of life. I got a little carried away with soaps, at 60, but luckily most are samplers. But ultimately I would like to reduce my collection of soaps and blades to 5 or 6 items each, and razors and brushes to 3.

I've found a setup that gives me easy exceptional shaves, and I would be pretty happy to have that setup if I ever happened to me marooned on a desert island, but I still have a few blades I haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
I'd have to say I'm a Veteran/Minimalist blend. I have a cadre of products (razor, razor blades, soaps, brush and aftershaves) I know work well for me and I have my routine firmly dialed-in. I have no real interest in experimenting because what I have is working really well for me. Once I run out of a particular bit of software I have I might try something new, just for fun, but my hardware is set with just the one razor, a couple proven blades, and the one brush I have. I don't like accumulating too much "stuff" generally speaking.

Compared to my collections of books, and records, my shave stuff leans absolutely towards the minimal, 4 brushes, couple of soaps, 3 razors, a few odds and ends. Every now and then this site has me twitching for a new piece of gear, and I really like getting a glimpse into everyone’s routines around this most enjoyable hobby.

A veteran I am. Initially there was a flurry of purchases, but it settled down pretty quickly; I'd say within a year. I've been with this forum since 2007.

I've settled into the Artist Club as my main razor, a Merkur slant for the FEW times I have a rushed shave, or for traveling, and I look toward Italy as a supplier of my soaps and aftershaves. I do not hoard or "stock up" on blades, or anything for that matter. If some disaster occurs that affects the the supply of shaving gear, you'll be dealing with more real and immediate problems than getting a good shave, believe me. No bathroom expansions on the horizon, either. Everything I use fits in the cupboards that are there.

I got into wet shaving to get a better shave without shelling out all that money for cartridges, and that goal was reached. Buying soaps, razors, aftershaves, etc., throughout the year is fine, if that's what you want. You're human, and humans almost universally collect "things" and store them, having a bigger supply than they need. But please, don't paint it as some uncontrollable disease. It's a choice.

The best part is this website itself. Plenty of room for a surly, set in my ways codger like myself to visit other topics and areas of interest. This is the ultimate "guy" site, with plenty of room for everybody.
I can relate to your experiences quite a bit, as I too got into wet-shaving for the sake of better, more enjoyable shaves. Like many, I've started by trying out the "usual suspects" in the soap/cream dept. Took me about 2 years or so to settle on 2 brands and call it a day - SV for hard, triple milled and A&E for artisan, soft soap. I'm not much of a cream user, but I keep a tube (not tub) of T&H 1805 and Cella bio in my "den". It's still more than I need.

Brush wise, I've found my happiness with synthetic, Trafalgar T3. I prefer it to any badger or boar I used.

The one piece of gear that remains to be "sorted out" before I can have that proverbial shipwreck is the razor. I've tested all sorts of DE razors (ultra-mild to super-aggressive) to conclude that AC-type SE is my thing. I'm happy with the Hawk V3, but I do feel there's room for improvement. Have high hopes Vector will live up to my expectations.

I'd have to say I'm a Veteran/Minimalist blend. I have a cadre of products (razor, razor blades, soaps, brush and aftershaves) I know work well for me and I have my routine firmly dialed-in. I have no real interest in experimenting because what I have is working really well for me. Once I run out of a particular bit of software I have I might try something new, just for fun, but my hardware is set with just the one razor, a couple proven blades, and the one brush I have. I don't like accumulating too much "stuff" generally speaking.
I'm kind of getting there... hopefully when Vector arrives. Let's see.

I was a minimalist, then I bought too many brushes and soaps. I am trying to go back to minimalism, I have 4 razors, one of my grandfather, but I only use Razorock Gamechanger daily. Yesterday I sold 7 brushes and now I only have a Simpson Trafalgar T3 and two Omega synth. I have lot of soaps, but I don't buy them anymore so I have "only" a large stock.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm an obsessive compulsive basket case with totally undisciplined desire when it comes to shaving kit. I need intensive consultation with a cognitive-behavioural therapist, a Stoic philosopher, a monk from Mt Athos, and a personal trainer to help me get sorted.

Lol all over the freakin place
I enjoy my variety know what works and I am chasing the dragon of that illustrious single razor but refuse to do that with soap.

I'm an obsessive compulsive basket case with totally undisciplined desire when it comes to shaving kit. I need intensive consultation with a cognitive-behavioural therapist, a Stoic philosopher, a monk from Mt Athos, and a personal trainer to help me get sorted.
Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned.

After all those quacks leave, you should “shop for shaving gear”; perhaps another fantastic brush, to celebrate your recovery.

I'd consider myself a veteran hobbyist. Veteran, in that I've been wet shaving with DEs and straights for about 40 years. But hobbyist in that I'm not on a quest to find the one razor, blade, brush, soap, AS combination that surpasses all others. For me it's all about the variety of experience--trying new things, revisiting old things, generally mixing it up. For me, following the minimalist approach (which I've done for some periods in my wet shaving journey) means I've become bored with it all, and just want to get the stubble gone. It would be like having one favorite meal, and eating that same meal day after day after day. Even if the meal is superb, that's not for me.

I'm currently in the hobbyist phase but moving toward the veteran phase. I've found a DE razor (titanium Timeless) that's killed any desire for other DEs. I have a Gillette NEW SC that I like very much to cover vintage razors. I have a Blackland Vector and Sabre which cover the SEs. And a Feather SS has me covered on the straights. So when it comes to razors I have them pretty much sorted and probably could stand to sell a few that I don't use as much anymore.

With brushes, I'm pretty much set on synthetics and have a couple that I like very much. I'm having a brush made and that will most likely be my last brush purchase for quite a while unless something revolutionary comes along, so I'm pretty much set on brushes.

Soaps and aftershaves, though, have been my big downfall. I've purchased more than I need in the quest to explore new scents and bases. What I've learned is that there are a few scents I really like and the rest I could do without. My problem is that I read a scent description and it sounds great, so I order the soap. Then I get it and maybe it smells great, but usually I'm a little bit disappointed. I'm at the point to where I'm over soaps and looking forward to exploring what I have.

So, long story short, I'm currently moving from the hobbyist phase into the veteran phase and I'm looking forward to it.

Top Bottom