What's new

Any minimalists here? How far/close are you from that "Desert Island" set-up?

I am...

• Hobbyist

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Veteran

Votes: 42 40.4%
  • Minimalist

Votes: 31 29.8%

• Total voters
I would call myself a hobbiest but by your definition I’m more of a veteran. That sounds strange because I haven’t been at this for very long. Over the course of 1.5 years, I’ve tried lots of things and have dialed in on a small selection that works for me and I’m content with that. This is in line with my other interests where I tend to collect a small selection of top shelf products that serve different purposes. My goal is always to complete the perfect lineup without too much clutter. I got a little more carried away than normal with straights razors and brushes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thirty years shaving with DE, and fairly settled, but occasionally restless.

Razors:
If I have ten razors, and one is my favourite, why would I want to use the other nine? Well, if I have heavy growth, I'll switch to an open comb. I don't want to risk leaving my favourite somewhere else, and so have others for travel, and occasionally I'll use something different, just for the added challenge of using something unfamiliar. 80% to 90% of my shaves are with my primary razor though.

Blades:
I did a bit of exploring, stocked up on a few, and now I pretty much just draw them at random. They all work well enough, and give me at least 10-14 shaves each. Sometimes many more.

Soaps:
I can get tired of scents quite easily, but hate facing too many choices. I keep three choices to hand per day, and have a stockpile of new and untried stuff to work through as and when one is finished

Brushes:
One for hard soap, one for creams and softer soaps, and one for travel, so I don't risk leaving my primaries away from home. I do have a couple of spare brushes, but if I use them, I start pining for my primary brushes again.

Post shave:
A few simple choices, just so I have something that won't clash with the soap of the day.

Is it a hobby? Not for me. The forum is a hobby, but I don't spend enough time shaving to consider that a hobby. I have zero interest in cultivating a shopping hobby, and pretending that's a shaving hobby.

Good perspectives on this thread. It is easy for me to get carried away with a new hobby. And I am certainly in the hobbyist camp for now. However, my intention is to move into "veteran." I'll not likely ever be a minimalist because I do like experimentation and variety.

That said, I am already honing in on a couple things I like so much that I hate not shaving with them. Tech razors and Tabac for two. I have two synthetic brushes and am going to try not to go too far beyond that. Aftershaves and balms are only going to number a few at a time as I don't care to wear strong scents. I imagine I'll always be changing blades up for fun.

I would call myself a hobbiest but by your definition I’m more of a veteran. That sounds strange because I haven’t been at this for very long. Over the course of 1.5 years, I’ve tried lots of things and have dialed in on a small selection that works for me and I’m content with that. This is in line with my other interests where I tend to collect a small selection of top shelf products that serve different purposes. My goal is always to complete the perfect lineup without too much clutter. I got a little more carried away than normal with straights razors and brushes.
Very similar for me - a small collection of top-notch items is all I aim for, in shaving and in general.

Thirty years shaving with DE, and fairly settled, but occasionally restless.

Razors:
If I have ten razors, and one is my favourite, why would I want to use the other nine? Well, if I have heavy growth, I'll switch to an open comb. I don't want to risk leaving my favourite somewhere else, and so have others for travel, and occasionally I'll use something different, just for the added challenge of using something unfamiliar. 80% to 90% of my shaves are with my primary razor though.

Blades:
I did a bit of exploring, stocked up on a few, and now I pretty much just draw them at random. They all work well enough, and give me at least 10-14 shaves each. Sometimes many more.

Soaps:
I can get tired of scents quite easily, but hate facing too many choices. I keep three choices to hand per day, and have a stockpile of new and untried stuff to work through as and when one is finished

Brushes:
One for hard soap, one for creams and softer soaps, and one for travel, so I don't risk leaving my primaries away from home. I do have a couple of spare brushes, but if I use them, I start pining for my primary brushes again.

Post shave:
A few simple choices, just so I have something that won't clash with the soap of the day.

Is it a hobby? Not for me. The forum is a hobby, but I don't spend enough time shaving to consider that a hobby. I have zero interest in cultivating a shopping hobby, and pretending that's a shaving hobby.
I hear what you're saying.

I too can get bored with scents, but luckily I've managed to work out at least the scent profiles that work for me.

I'm a Beginner/ Hobbyist.

I don't qualify for the other two categories and the remaining is the closest to my situation.

I have less than 6 months of proper wet shaving experience, and I have a lot to learn.
I've got a good idea where my preference in Razor, soaps and brush are going.

I'm aiming to go Minimalistic, but there is a long journey before I can reach there.

For razors :

I'd like to keep only a handful of great (for me) razors that perform exactly as I expect them to, everytime.

I have kept the razor purchase to absolutely minimum (2 good razor and 1 crack head razor).

Same goes for brushes -

I am attracted to the allure of Badger, Boar brushes but I have very limited experience with the various knots of synthetic brushes.

So, before I settle down for a handful of different or same brush, I may have to try a few of them.

Soaps department is my weakness.

I'd like to think that if I can actually control this aspect of my Shaving Routine, I'll be ever closer to the Minimalistic mind-set.

I'm a Beginner/ Hobbyist.

I don't qualify for the other two categories and the remaining is the closest to my situation.

I have less than 6 months of proper wet shaving experience, and I have a lot to learn.
I've got a good idea where my preference in Razor, soaps and brush are going.

I'm aiming to go Minimalistic, but there is a long journey before I can reach there.

For razors :

I'd like to keep only a handful of great (for me) razors that perform exactly as I expect them to, everytime.

I have kept the razor purchase to absolutely minimum (2 good razor and 1 crack head razor).

Same goes for brushes -

I am attracted to the allure of Badger, Boar brushes but I have very limited experience with the various knots of synthetic brushes.

So, before I settle down for a handful of different or same brush, I may have to try a few of them.

Soaps department is my weakness.

I'd like to think that if I can actually control this aspect of my Shaving Routine, I'll be ever closer to the Minimalistic mind-set.
I hear what you are saying, I do. Been there.

If it's of any help, may I say - I regret not starting with the VERY BEST soaps money can buy.

If you think about it from the long term perspective, event the most expensive soap is still a petty cash item that will last for 100+ shaves... so, it's not really a question of money.

My sincerest advice would be to simply go for A&E, SV, B&M, GD, as these are the best soap out there and try to get a sample. If you know the olfactory notes fragrance profile(s) that work for you in general, like Fougere or Chypre, etc, that's a good starting point.

I hear what you are saying, I do. Been there.

If it's of any help, may I say - I regret not starting with the VERY BEST soaps money can buy.

If you think about it from the long term perspective, event the most expensive soap is still a petty cash item that will last for 100+ shaves... so, it's not really a question of money.

My sincerest advice would be to simply go for A&E, SV, B&M, GD, as these are the best soap out there and try to get a sample. If you know the olfactory notes fragrance profile(s) that work for you in general, like Fougere or Chypre, etc, that's a good starting point.

This is a very good advice, and I'm thankful for it.

I agree with your point and whatever I've purchased till now were good and any furure purchase will definitely be the top tier quality.

I'm in the wet shaving for the experience and if I skimp on it (overly), then it beats the purpose entirely.

I'm in the yearly GRUYERE, so this time will be used to finish off (or atleast reduce them) the products and improve my skills.

Thankfully, I'm in the beginning stages and I haven't hoarded a lot of products.

Any future purchases will definitely be directed to the top tier products, for sure.

I'm a veteran, yet in the last year through the pandemic reverted back to hobbyist. I hadn't bought much at all from 2014 to early 2020, except for a few soap refills. Then last spring, at 67 years-old sheltering in place made sense for us, and I started buying new shaving stuff to try. It has helped some to relieve the boredom. Much had changed in recent years and I found a lot to explore. But, I've tried all that I wanted, and as I have my second vaccine appointment for 3/12, I'll go back to being a veteran.

I could say I was a minimalist when I started DE shaving 5 years ago and then I found this site, need I say more? I voted veteran but still a little of a hobbyist. I only have 3 brushes one of which I don't use. I have 8 DE razor and 2 Injector of which one I just acquired(Parker Adjustable Injector). I have upwards of 25 soaps/creams and sold or gave away about as many. I have been pretty good at curbing the purchases with only the razor purchase and a purchase of a puck of modern Williams soap I been good the last 2-3 years. I still catch myself looking and want to try a new razor and/or creams but after searching through a site for 20-30 minutes it hits me that I don't need anymore and exit the site.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I can be considered a hobbyist because, while I have minimalized my shave den and gotten rid of many types of and brands of razors, brushes and soaps, I still have over 200 aftershaves.

I can be considered a veteran and knows what works for me, because I have gotten rid of all the above and don't plan on buying anymore.

I can be considered a minimalist, just not the 1 brush, 1 soap, 1 razor kind. I do have only one favorite DE 3 piece, 1 favorite vintage Gillette, 1 favorite SE, 1 favorite Straight and 1 favorite Shavette and 1 favorite Injector and only 4 soaps one for each season. Which makes me a minimalist of only my favorites. :)

Like most people here I have gone through different phases since 2009. Earlier on I was much more acquisitive for sure. Now I strive for minimalism with some limited choice.

I do keep experimenting and recently I have found that injector and alternative SE razors (Broman/Guard) are much better for me than DE shaving. I have stocked up on blades/cartridges for these systems so I now have a fair amount, but not much variety. I now only have two DE razors, two metal Trac II handles, a Broman, a Schick injector, and some Guard handles. I have a Rolls Razor bought on a whim, but I plan to give it away.

I only use generic witch hazel and Nivea sensitive for post shave. No variation there. I currently have one Proraso Blue cream and one almost empty tube of Erasmic. Plus two soap sticks (Lea and Wilkinson Sword blue stick). I also have 2 synth brushes (one Yaqi Sagrad Familia and a no-name travel synth).

I THINK that overall makes me a minimalist - but others may disagree!

Haha. I am so far away, I might be in a different dimension... I would say definitely a hobbyist, although I know what works for me in terms of razors soaps and brushes.
I think I might finally have enough straights. I managed to get a grail razor just yesterday....

If you shave, like me using baby/body lotion (on a Dessert Island perhaps it could be the gel from Aloe Vera leaves?) instead of soap/cream...you'll find won't need any further balm or moisturizer after you've shaved. -Further reducing the number of items in the Minimalist's kit

If you shave, like me using baby/body lotion (on a Dessert Island perhaps it could be the gel from Aloe Vera leaves?) instead of soap/cream...you'll find won't need any further balm or moisturizer after you've shaved. -Further reducing the number of items in the Minimalist's kit
Hmmm....? Shaving with body lotion instead of a nice-smelling shaving soap, producing heavenly warm lather?

NO, thank you! 😂 😂 😂

I might be striving to minimize brushes and razors, but I sure enjoy my soaps.

Hi,

Minimalist.

Been there since the beginning of 2014 and my first year-long restraint. Been in every one since. I am also in the decade-long restraint.

Prep: wash face

Soap: Vintage Oster Tallow and Modern Carden Farms Glycerine in a 50/50 mix

Brush: Vie Long Horsehair

Razor: Fasan Double Slant

Blade: Personna Med Prep

AS: Lubriderm lotion

I did buy an ATT S2 January 2020, but found I don't really like it. It was supposed to replace the Fasan, but that didn't work out.

Stan

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm very close to a minimalist, but I don't suspect I'll get any closer.

I've been using one razor for 6 years, mostly one blade for 4 years. I use MdC 95% of the time, but I do like an occasional change. I had WH as my alternative for a few years, but this year I added SV. I'm doing a longevity test now and it's very nice soap, but may prove to be too expensive for my needs.

The brush will be a problem. I could do 3 - SOC boar in the scuttle, SOC badger for face lathering and EVO for travel, but I wouldn't really be happy about it. I could be happy with only 5, but that doesn't sound too minimalist.

WH and moisturizer are always the same.

I wouldn't want to only use one cologne, but I could probably get away with 3 or 4 if you held a gun to my head.

I don't embrace minimalism as a cause, I just gravitate to favorites.

Top Bottom