What's new

Any Information on These Razors?

I'm a relative newcomer to straight razor shaving and decided to get a handful of cheap vintage razors and use these to learn how to hone, strop and shave. I set a budget of no more than £12 per razor and managed to bag four very different examples. I've attached pics and wondered it anyone had any information on them such as the approx date of manufacture.
Obviously these are no the best examples in existence but hopefully good enough for me to learn with.

Attachments

• IMG_3012.PNG
    IMG_3012.PNG
    289.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3013.PNG
    IMG_3013.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3014.PNG
    IMG_3014.PNG
    612 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3015.PNG
    IMG_3015.PNG
    714.5 KB · Views: 36

Legion

Staff member
The Flic will probably be the easiest to start with. Looks in good shape, not super valuable if you mess it up, but of reasonable quality. 1930's

FWIW, my go-to razor that I use for most of my shaves is a French Hamon, though a fair bit older than your one. Mine is mid 1800's, but yours would be 20's-30's.

The one with the orange scales looks like it has been honed super skinny to remove a chip or something. I'd not waste too much time on that one.

The first razor I need better pics.

I would be happy to use the Flic, the other three I would put to one side. With the Flic you could learn everything you need to start your straight razor adventure. My first razor was a Kropp, still a good razor despite my best efforts to ruin it.
You will buy more, and eventually, find your favourite style of razor. For myself that turned out to be a 6 or7/8 full hollow German razor, I have tried quite a lot to get to this point though. Good luck with your new venture it is very satisfying to be able to use a straight that you have maintained yourself.

The Flic will probably be the easiest to start with. Looks in good shape, not super valuable if you mess it up, but of reasonable quality. 1930's

FWIW, my go-to razor that I use for most of my shaves is a French Hamon, though a fair bit older than your one. Mine is mid 1800's, but yours would be 20's-30's.

The one with the orange scales looks like it has been honed super skinny to remove a chip or something. I'd not waste too much time on that one.

The first razor I need better pics.

I’ve taken these photos of the razor you were not sure about.

Attachments

• 1EE3DD26-EFE1-4BF8-8731-A47B495FDA9A.jpeg
    1EE3DD26-EFE1-4BF8-8731-A47B495FDA9A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 69FF090A-A08C-4C21-98B0-C3338234A7DD.jpeg
    69FF090A-A08C-4C21-98B0-C3338234A7DD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 782A87C9-A01A-425F-BB50-A6AF5A6375D3.jpeg
    782A87C9-A01A-425F-BB50-A6AF5A6375D3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • A8015FA4-0FFD-4A62-94E5-3FF8DD654A69.jpeg
    A8015FA4-0FFD-4A62-94E5-3FF8DD654A69.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Once you get a bevel set and edge on that wedge, it will be great 😊

take your time to get that one right, and i really emphasize time. You’ll probably need to tape it and replace the tape often.

Once you get a bevel set and edge on that wedge, it will be great [emoji4]

take your time to get that one right, and i really emphasize time. You’ll probably need to tape it and replace the tape often.

Glad it was a good buy. Any ideas on when it was made? The scales look like horn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you recommend single or double taping.

Slightly scared by the square point, I’ve heard that they can be unforgiving.

Legion

Staff member
I’ve taken these photos of the razor you were not sure about.
That's pretty old, I'd say 1840-50ish. Horn scales and close to a full wedge. Worth fixing up, but I would still do the Flic first as it will be a lot easier. Wedges can present challenges to new honers.

I wouldnt worry about the point on a razor that old. It will have muted itself over the years.

That's pretty old, I'd say 1840-50ish. Horn scales and close to a full wedge. Worth fixing up, but I would still do the Flic first as it will be a lot easier. Wedges can present challenges to new honers.

I wouldnt worry about the point on a razor that old. It will have muted itself over the years.

Thanks for the info, I was genuinely surprised by its age and, although it didn’t come in a coffin, I’ve found a nice one for it to keep it extra safe.

I’ve decided to hold back on setting, honing and stropping it until I get some practice so I don’t ruin it.

What indicated the age? In understand that wedge razors fell out of fashion at the end of the 19th Century but that’s about as far as my limited knowledge goes.

Cheers [emoji106]

Just checked the Flic razor and it looks like the bevel is set (set it flat on a stone and no wobble). I have the Naniwa 3K, 8K and 12K super stones, should I jump straight to 8K in this instance?

Legion

Staff member
Just checked the Flic razor and it looks like the bevel is set (set it flat on a stone and no wobble). I have the Naniwa 3K, 8K and 12K super stones, should I jump straight to 8K in this instance?

Nope. Clean the blade properly, kill the edge on a glass ( if any is left) and start again. Reset the bevel, and hone from scratch.

start at 1k, then 4, 8, 12. Or whatever natural, paste or film equivalent you might choose.
If you want to try and set the bevel on your 3k, ok. But kill it dead first so you know the new bevel is new. It might take a while.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Thanks for the info, I was genuinely surprised by its age and, although it didn’t come in a coffin, I’ve found a nice one for it to keep it extra safe.

I’ve decided to hold back on setting, honing and stropping it until I get some practice so I don’t ruin it.

What indicated the age? In understand that wedge razors fell out of fashion at the end of the 19th Century but that’s about as far as my limited knowledge goes.

Cheers [emoji106]

just experience looking at lots of razors. The grind is one thing, but the tang, the scales, the stamp, you get to know this stuff after a while. I’m not claiming to be an expert. But I have seen a few, so my opinions are ymmv.

Found this photo on:

The 1870 example looks the twin of my wedge. Photo resolution too low to read the makers details. Any thoughts?
proxy.php

Looks amazing! One day I’ll try to clean up my example and hope to get it to the same state as yours. Any advice on cleaning and polishing?

I can't really help you all though I have rescued a few old-timers I am really only a bodger. Lots of guys on here would know better than me. The Cadman I got on the bay as you see it. The people who sold it knew it as great grandad's WW1 razor, though they didn't know why someone else's name was on the box. Course I think that is easily answered as the box is a lot newer than the razor. The edge was not nearly as bad as you might think looking at the pics, I am not a great fan of heavy razors but this one is nice and shaves very well. I seem to remember it was only £10 which is nice for such an old razor that appears unused.

Top Bottom