What's new

Any 'Hone-meisters' in Midlands UK?

Hi Folks,
Well I have a nice almost new (but un-used) Dovo Special coming in the post tomorrow.
I mailed a guy on ebay who had sold another kind of Dovo and told him I missed the auction deadline and if the buyer messed him about to drop me a line.
To my pleasant surprise he had quite a few more (and some kit) so I snapped his hand off for a Dovo Special at £30.
My question- is there anyone in the Midlands area (I am in Burton On Trent) who will hone it up for me?
Ideally I would like to bring it in person and watch, so that I get the 'knack' myself.(I suppose I would be willing to post it out and have it done but then I will still have the same issue down the line)
I am happy to bring you beers or just pay cash...
I have watched all the tutorial videos but some things need to be done properly
Regards
Jem

If you post out, I can recommend Steve Dempster, Razorsharpening.co.uk.

He also owns a web site called 'The Invisible Edge', selling vintage razors and new Dovo razors.

Presently he does my razors for me and puts a really nice edge on them.

I will see if I get anyone in the Midlands who can invite me over 'in person' but I will be getting very impatient just looking at it after it arrives, so will probably go with Steve for this hone.
Regards
Jem

I will see if I get anyone in the Midlands who can invite me over 'in person' but I will be getting very impatient just looking at it after it arrives, so will probably go with Steve for this hone.
Regards
Jem

Good move.

I just mailed it off to Steve today.
I will at some point in the future need to learn the skill of honing though...but at least I can get started sometime soon

You won't regret using Steve.

If you intend learning to hone, it will be worth picking up a cheap vintage razor off fleabay. Try and get one that doesn't have flea bite or cracks in the blade.

The standard hone to start on seems to be the Norton 4k/8k combination stone. The cheapest place I found for them in the UK was classic hand tools, on the net.

I got the razor back from Steve today..great service all the way, highly recommended. How is that for turn around time?
That blade looks/feels mighty sharp and a bit scary!
I am going to post up a separate thread about my first ever straight razor shave later this week or possibly weekend when I get more time.
Thanks for the help guys...At least I now know that of all the 'variables' in getting a good shave ,the razor isn't going to be an issue and if it it doesn't go well, then it is probably something I am doing wrong...and I figure that with practice I can get it right.
Regards
Jem

That's great!

Steve's a top chap and does some great vintage blades.

Remember when you take your first shave that your beard preparation is very, and I mean very, important.

Take a shower and soften the hair in the warm water and steam. I would also recommend applying some shaving oil, particularly around the chin and jaw line. I have only recently tried this, as a result of a post I read. These are the most difficult areas to shave and it seems to help make life a little easier.

Next apply a good lather and take your time with the shave. Use a light touch and watch your blade angle.

I think most people think they are going to cut themselves to ribbons on their first str8 shave, the reality is most get a few minor nicks. Don't be affraid of the blade. A very sharp blade is your friend, not your enemy!

Don't be tempted to go AGT, that is where most noobs and some experienced str8 users end up with their minor injuries.

Good luck and enjoy! :wink:

Top Bottom