What's new

Any fans of old time radio?

I'm 69 now, and growing up in New York, I still caught some of old series: Gunsmoke, the Shadow, etc. A lot of them were repeated in the early seventies by private local stations.

What I remember best is, however, Jean Shepherd, who was a so-called "raconteur." There was a nerd-faction at high school which listened to him every evening at 10 "o" clock. I believe he was on WOR. I still remember his sometimes very sarcastic, apt comments.

most people only know Jean Shepherd from A Christmas Story, but his humor was a lot more grown up on his radio show.

Huge fan of radio... which are now, podcasts. Not into fiction anymore, but you can listen to anything on just about any topic now. It's crazy, it's almost the height of "radio" for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
They are available on Archive.org but also on this site that gives a nice episode by episode synopsis and lets you listen as well. Episode Guide | CBS Radio Mystery Theater - https://www.cbsrmt.com/synopsis.html/1974

E.G. Marshall E. G. Marshall - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._G._Marshall "During his life, he chose not to reveal what "E. G." stood for, telling most people it stood for "Everybody's Guess,"
Thank you so much for posting this stuff. My brain remembers lots of stuff sideways, lol. "Everybody's Guess!" Love that.

Huge fan of radio... which are now, podcasts. Not into fiction anymore, but you can listen to anything on just about any topic now. It's crazy, it's almost the height of "radio" for me.
Earcutter, me too. Did you ever listen to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History? He’s got a mamouth series on the Mongol Empire that is really fascinating.

As an older man, I often wake up in the middle of the night, and can't get to sleep anymore. I then turn on the radio (my girlfriend's stereo actually) and try to listen with my headphones so as not to wake her. Unfortunately, nighttime radio is rather dead here in Germany, especially since AM has been shut down. Her radio doesn't get the French stations. The best on offer is six hours of classical music, from midnight to six. Outside of that, there is only mindless rock, which I suspect is played automatically.The BBC World Service isn't what it used to be. Outside of that, China Radio in English is interesting. It would be nice if someone would chat sensibly through the night - a "raconteur".

As an older man, I often wake up in the middle of the night, and can't get to sleep anymore. I then turn on the radio (my girlfriend's stereo actually) and try to listen with my headphones so as not to wake her. Unfortunately, nighttime radio is rather dead here in Germany, especially since AM has been shut down. Her radio doesn't get the French stations. The best on offer is six hours of classical music, from midnight to six. Outside of that, there is only mindless rock, which I suspect is played automatically.The BBC World Service isn't what it used to be. Outside of that, China Radio in English is interesting. It would be nice if someone would chat sensibly through the night - a "raconteur".
Gauthier, you’ve got to look into podcasts. For two reasons:

1. I have the same problem waking up in the middle of the night. If I put on a podcast it somehow engages/ distracts my mind enough to keep it from running wild w thoughts allowing me to fall back asleep right away.
2. There’s a 100 podcasts for anything you’re interested in. If it doesn’t put you back to sleep, at least you’ll have something interesting to listen to.

Chuckle at the cigarette ads..."4 out of 5 doctors recommend..." that sort of thing.
Also, occaisonally the ads are for brands that still exist so dont they qualify as tobacco advertising ?

Top Bottom