What's new

Any fans of old time radio?

As a kid I grew up listening to old time radio dramas. And the internet has brought back many of the great radio shows. I still enjoy listening to the Shadow, The Whistler, Dragnet, among others. I recently discovered a new one that I never knew about...Philo Vance.

Any fans of old time radio?

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Where do you listen to these old shows? Is there an app for smart phones? Website?

Kinda sounds like the old school podcasts

Oh wow! Brings back memories! Lone Ranger, Sky King, Straight Arrow, Roy Rogers, The Shadow, Fibber McGee and Molly, Amos and Andy, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, The Great Gildersleeve! And some really spooky ones right after I got in bed for the night! If you search the web, I do believe you can find them. Try it by name, check YouTube, or type in "old time radio shows" (or something like that). Great shows for people who loved using their imaginations!

*raises hand*

I have a few radios from the '30s and '40s. Used to have more but they take up a lot of space, and ran out of time to restore them. Sometimes I like to spool up an OTR MP3, usually a comedy or maybe a detective drama, and either broadcast it to a radio through a low power transmitter or direct connect into its phonograph jack. I never seem to have time to do things like that anymore. Can't go a whole half hour without being interrupted by something.

I’m 49 so I didn’t grow up with this stuff but I love listening to Radio Classics on SiriusXM. I love Johnny Dollar, Gunsmoke, and Dragnet among others. It’s a nice break from the highly politicized News / Talk formats on most other stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, when my kids were young, we would road trip family vacations across the U.S. from California to North Carolina. To keep the kids entertained, I would go to the library and check out a bunch of cassette tapes of old radio shows - Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Box 13, Jack Benny, George Burns and Gracie Allen, and others. The kids loved them and had no idea they were listening to shows that were decades before their time. They listened to some of them so much that by the end of the trip they could repeat the dialogue word for word. Good times...

I LOVE Old Time Radio! Planning a 12 hours trip later this week. Listening to Old Time Radio breaks the trip down into 1/2 hour segments and makes the trip more enjoyable. The trip doesn't feel like a 12 hour trip.

I wanted to share this for those who have never heard it, being Memorial Day was yesterday, the topic is old radio, and that there was mention of some of these recordings within.

Vanilla Fudge-Voices In Time.

I've enjoyed some comedies I caught on public radio recently. I'm 30 so I didn't listen to radio shows growing up. That is great if there is a place you can access them now! I should check those out.
When I get interested in some of interviews or discussions on public radio I sometimes have those, "oh my gosh, I'm an adult!" moments. lol

Has podcasting been around long enough to be "old school", @Toothpick ?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've enjoyed some comedies I caught on public radio recently. I'm 30 so I didn't listen to radio shows growing up. That is great if there is a place you can access them now! I should check those out.
When I get interested in some of interviews or discussions on public radio I sometimes have those, "oh my gosh, I'm an adult!" moments. lol

Has podcasting been around long enough to be "old school", @Toothpick ?
Nahh, didn’t really pick up speed until 2004 google says.

I used to love those shows.
I got the old wireless set down from the attic and fired her up, but I could only get Spanish stations!
Perhaps I need to get a Philco...

Top Bottom